HOW to setup multiple CAMs for surveillance?

Hei,

As we are often away we would like to protect our house with some CAM's.
We installed one, using motion detection software from i-Catcher.
(i-Catcher can handle multiple CAMs)

Problem is however USB, we feel we can't install camera's where we would
like to have them, since the distances are too large. One can't put PC's all
over the house isn't it.

What we would like to have is something like
http://www.icepick.com/

thanks,
eppie
5 answers Last reply
More about setup multiple cams surveillance

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 14:09:15 +0200, "ep" <anoniem@t-online.de>
    wrote:

    >Hei,
    >
    >As we are often away we would like to protect our house with some CAM's.
    >We installed one, using motion detection software from i-Catcher.
    >(i-Catcher can handle multiple CAMs)
    >
    >Problem is however USB, we feel we can't install camera's where we would
    >like to have them, since the distances are too large. One can't put PC's all
    >over the house isn't it.
    >
    >What we would like to have is something like
    >http://www.icepick.com/

    You can use analog cams, a capture card in your computer, and a
    video switcher to switch between the different cams. "Network"
    cams are also a possibility, but are a little more expensive.
    Analog cams can be placed at longer distances from the computer.
    Below are some test pages I have with some links to making
    simple video switchers and pan/tilt cams. Bottom are some links
    to sources of analog types of cams where you can get some idea of
    the equipment available.

    http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/ppswitcher-demo.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/ezservo1.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/486X66.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/multiwc32.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/wc32AV.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/wc32pull.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/wc32A.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/webmedia.htm

    http://www.supercircuits.com/
    http://www.matco.com/
    http://www.cctvco.com/enter.html
    http://www.polarisusa.com/
    http://www.gtsecurity.com/
    http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=VID
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47546

    Si Ballenger wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 14:09:15 +0200, "ep" <anoniem@t-online.de>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hei,
    >>
    >> As we are often away we would like to protect our house with some
    >> CAM's.
    >> We installed one, using motion detection software from i-Catcher.
    >> (i-Catcher can handle multiple CAMs)
    >>
    >> Problem is however USB, we feel we can't install camera's where we
    >> would like to have them, since the distances are too large. One
    >> can't put PC's all over the house isn't it.
    >>
    >> What we would like to have is something like
    >> http://www.icepick.com/
    >
    > You can use analog cams, a capture card in your computer, and a
    > video switcher to switch between the different cams. "Network"
    > cams are also a possibility, but are a little more expensive.
    > Analog cams can be placed at longer distances from the computer.
    > Below are some test pages I have with some links to making
    > simple video switchers and pan/tilt cams. Bottom are some links
    > to sources of analog types of cams where you can get some idea of
    > the equipment available.
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/ppswitcher-demo.htm
    > http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/ezservo1.htm
    > http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/486X66.htm
    > http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/multiwc32.htm
    > http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/wc32AV.htm
    > http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/wc32pull.htm
    > http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/wc32A.htm
    > http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/webmedia.htm
    >
    > http://www.supercircuits.com/
    > http://www.matco.com/
    > http://www.cctvco.com/enter.html
    > http://www.polarisusa.com/
    > http://www.gtsecurity.com/
    > http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=VID
    > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47546

    to make this more interesting.. i can provide wireless cams with recievers
    that can plug directly into any composite input....

    like you would have on a capture card....

    the cameras are around an inch square.......and wireless apart from power
    connection

    the receivers are cigarrette packet sized (king size)

    one reciever can run many cameras....which is how i use them...(4 cameras on
    mine) also i get the signal from my neighbours camera and the lady across
    the roads camera too..(they are my customers) they can also access mine as
    they are transmiting cameras.....and we all have recievers....

    distance from camera to furthest receiver is approx 100 metres..hardly any
    loss of signal..

    would be better line of sight but walls and things lower the transmitting
    power...

    very good for security as they can be hidden easily

    let me know if yr interested

    regards slayer

    --
    if the following image offends then dont look at it...

    /' /)
    ,/_ /
    / /
    /'_'/' '/'_'7,
    /'/ / / /" \
    ('( ' ' _~/
    \ '\
    '\' \ \ \ _7
    \ (
    \ \.

    slayer in da house annoying the people

    ERROR 404 SIG NOT FOUND . END OF INSTRUCTION , PROGRAM FAILED TO
    INITIALIZE. KILL ALL ENEMIES OF THE UK AND COALITION FORCES NOW !!!

    SOME PEOPLE ENJOY SIPPING FROM THE FOUNTAIN OF KNOWLEDGE...........

    PERSONALLY ,,,, i like to take huge gulps..........

    remove my shorts to email me direct....

    http://www.rselby.com/tips.htm windowx xp tips

    regards slayer

    phlem1@myshortsbtinertnet.com

    You can try one of our USB extension kits to extend the distance.

    http://www.pantiltcam.com/TCamWeb/usbkits.htm

    We also have a wireless version in the works. If you join our mailing
    list from the bottom of any page on

    http://www.trackercam.com

    you will be notified when this is available.

    Hope this helps.

    <anoniem@t-online.de> wrote in message news:<c6dle0$6k7$03$1@news.t-online.com>...
    > Hei,
    >
    > As we are often away we would like to protect our house with some CAM's.
    > We installed one, using motion detection software from i-Catcher.
    > (i-Catcher can handle multiple CAMs)
    >
    > Problem is however USB, we feel we can't install camera's where we would
    > like to have them, since the distances are too large. One can't put PC's all
    > over the house isn't it.
    >
    > What we would like to have is something like
    > http://www.icepick.com/
    >

    > thanks,
    > eppie

    thanks,

    I think it brought me a bit further. :-)

    eppie

    "Si Ballenger" <shb*NO*SPAM*@comporium.net> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 14:09:15 +0200, "ep" <anoniem@t-online.de>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hei,
    > >
    > >As we are often away we would like to protect our house with some CAM's.
    > >We installed one, using motion detection software from i-Catcher.
    > >(i-Catcher can handle multiple CAMs)
    > >
    > >Problem is however USB, we feel we can't install camera's where we would
    > >like to have them, since the distances are too large. One can't put PC's
    all
    > >over the house isn't it.
    > >
    > >What we would like to have is something like
    > >http://www.icepick.com/
    >
    > You can use analog cams, a capture card in your computer, and a
    > video switcher to switch between the different cams. "Network"
    > cams are also a possibility, but are a little more expensive.
    > Analog cams can be placed at longer distances from the computer.
    > Below are some test pages I have with some links to making
    > simple video switchers and pan/tilt cams. Bottom are some links
    > to sources of analog types of cams where you can get some idea of
    > the equipment available.
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/ppswitcher-demo.htm
    > http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/ezservo1.htm
    > http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/486X66.htm
    > http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/multiwc32.htm
    > http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/wc32AV.htm
    > http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/wc32pull.htm
    > http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/wc32A.htm
    > http://www.geocities.com/zoomkat/webmedia.htm
    >
    > http://www.supercircuits.com/
    > http://www.matco.com/
    > http://www.cctvco.com/enter.html
    > http://www.polarisusa.com/
    > http://www.gtsecurity.com/
    > http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=VID
    > http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47546

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    You may want to look at Xanboo, http://www.xanboo.com. The proprietary
    wireless equipment is very inexpensive but you have to subscribe to their
    service at $10US a month. It's primarily sold by installers now but I have
    found one who will sell the components. I suspect I may use their system
    for my new home.

    There are other wireless cameras available from D-Link & Panasonic among
    others. Jim

    "ep" <anoniem@t-online.de> wrote in message
    > Hei,
    >
    > As we are often away we would like to protect our house with some CAM's.
    > We installed one, using motion detection software from i-Catcher.
    > (i-Catcher can handle multiple CAMs)
    >
    > Problem is however USB, we feel we can't install camera's where we would
    > like to have them, since the distances are too large. One can't put PC's
    all
    > over the house isn't it.
    >
    > What we would like to have is something like
    > http://www.icepick.com/
    >

    > thanks,
    > eppie

Webcams Peripherals