Suggestion of Wireless Media Players !

thezeds

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
Hi,

I am interested in the purchasing a Wireless Media Player to be attached with HD-Ready Plasma Display to view tons amount of videos and other multimedia content on big display. I will appreciate your suggestions based your personal experiences.

Regards,

Zahid Hafeez

thezeds

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
Hi Mpilchfamily,

Please note that I already have the required equipment.

- Wirelsss G Broadband router
- Maxtor Network Drive connected to above router
- Other PC/Notebook connect wirelessly to the network drive and the internet through the router

thezeds

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
Hookup will be dependent on a device i.e. wireless media player......coming to original question.....which wireless media player......

thezeds

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
What video card do you have? Ifit's a plazma then chances are it may have a DVI connector or RGB. In witch case you can hook the TV straight to the video card.

Almost all of my multimedia content is on the network drive and my video card has only one DVI connector which is used for connecting my LCD computer display. The other thing is the distance between the computer and the Plasma. It will not be a practical solution.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
If you want yourself a little project, you could buy an Xbox on eBay for $50, modify it (free) and attach a wireless bridge to it's ethernet port and you'll have the cheapest solution possible. It'll require a couple of hours of your time, but it's cheap and a good weekend project.

thezeds

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
If you want yourself a little project, you could buy an Xbox on eBay for $50, modify it (free) and attach a wireless bridge to it's ethernet port and you'll have the cheapest solution possible. It'll require a couple of hours of your time, but it's cheap and a good weekend project.
Sounds interesting....can you provide me more details i.e. how to go about it......thanx

thezeds

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
Once again what video card do you have?

Most cards now have VGA, DVI, and an svideo looking connector. If you have the little adater box then you can use RGB cables or svideo. There are also VGA to DVI adabters that can be used.

The cards is MSI Version of ATI 1300X with only one port at the back - DVI which is connected to my LCD Panel.

thezeds

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
I think your best option would be getting a better video card that gives you dual DVI and VIVO. Then it's all a matter of running a cable over to the PC. Then your all set.

Any suggestions on the card giving dual Dual DVI and VIVO....Thanks !

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Sounds interesting....can you provide me more details i.e. how to go about it......thanx

I'll give you the basic outline, and if you want to go ahead with it it's a very cheap and very efficient system.

1) You need an Xbox, memory card, a USB extension cable and an original copy of Spinter Cell.

2) There's a save-game exploit for Splinter Cell which has a small Linux build in it, which will execute when you load the save from your memory card, so you'll need that too.

3) You have to make a modification to the controller so it has a USB A plug instead of the proprietary Xbox one (don't worry it's super easy to do). Then use a free piece of software to transfer the Splinter Cell save from your PC to the memory card and load it up on your Xbox. It'll process stuff for about 10 mins and next time you boot up your Xbox you'll have a new dashboard.

4) Then you FTP into the Xbox and copy over a peice of software called XBMC (Xbox Media Center) - also free.

That's the basic outline. If you choose to do it either just for fun or as an HTPC (I'm using mine right now and it really is awesome) then I'd be happy to PM you step by step from start to finish.

Using a peice of software on your PC you can share certain folders on the XBMS protocol, and then watch/listen/view the contents on your Xbox. It handles music, video and pictures.

thezeds

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
Thanks for the alternate suggestions but one of friend is still insisting on getting one. Your experiences with Buffalo or Dlink wireless media player will highly appreciated.

pkellmey

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Thanks for the alternate suggestions but one of friend is still insisting on getting one. Your experiences with Buffalo or Dlink wireless media player will highly appreciated.

Are you using Linux or Windows (what version) on the connection? I found it really does make a difference on how well it works. However, in general, I find that you should not have extremely high expectations. The lower the overall expectations, the happier you'll be.

TommyCeez

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
I have a D-Link High Definition wireless media center connected to my home theater. Has Componant and HDMI connections for your plasma and Optical and Digital Coax for 5.1 audio to your reciever.

It runs appx 199.00 and I use freeware TVersity as my media server software.

Some people dont like the interface, but it suits my needs perfectly, and the HD content looks beautiful....plus the drvice looks-wise fits right in with any HT setup

(Note: for intensive HD playback I opted to hard wire it via Ethernet cable)