Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
I have a few questions, I just purchased the following

Raidmax Sagitta ATX Case
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4Ghz CPU
Asus P5B Motherboard
Corsair XMS2 2gb DDR2 Ram
eVGA Geforce 8800GTX

I already have a 160gb HD and a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card.

So it has been a while since I've put a computer together, but I don't think there is any kind of a difference and I believe that I hooked up everything right.

I plug in everything and I hit the power button on the case and the light turns on and I can hear a fan trying to start but it dies right away. I don't know what is wrong. Any suggestions for trouble shooting?

Probably not overheating. An overheated computer would run for a little while before anything strange/bad occurred.

My suggestion:

First if you have less than a good 500 watt PS, change the PS.

If that does not work, unplug everthing from the MB except processor. When you try to turn to turn on the computer, the PS and CPU fans should spin up, and you should hear some kind of POST beep pattern indicating memory or video failure. (I do not know offhand what Asus POST codes are.)

If it still shuts down, it is either the MB or CPU. Then it is time to find a good friend with similar hardware that is willing to help you troubleshoot.

Any kind of bad POST code indicates that CPU and MB are at least trying to work. Plug in the memory. Reboot . You should get the POST code for "bad video display". I think that is one long and three short beeps. If not, test the memory sticks one at a time.

The best way to test the memory and video card are to plug them into a working system.