Sign in with
Your question

8800gtx performance degradation

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 19, 2006 10:28:08 AM

Hello all,

My system seems to have run into yet another snag. Ive bought a 8800GTX card and it works very well compared to the 7950 gx2 i replaced it with. however, after a few hours of gameplay or even just leaving the computer on (running torrents) i get a severe drop in performance. it works fine to begin with but on one occasion a window appeared telling me that the power cable directly to the vga card was not connected properly and it would go into a "lower performance mode". but the games were running fine for a few hours and then it suddenly decides there is not enough power?! ive been told that my psu is inadequate but i have a hiper 580W (620W PEAK! it says) psu which should be adequate according to nvidias website. so i then checked the temperature of the gpu and it was 78 celsius. so im not sure if this is a cooling issue or a power issue (or both). ive got a sansun galaxy case which comes with a huge fan on the side and multiple smaller fans plus the 8800gtx does have a small fan as well but ive not got any other cooling devices. i dont plan to use this with sli just yet so i dont want a really expenive 1000W+ beast of a psu and im wondering if the problem can be solved by a vga cooler? i surfed around the net for my model of psu (hiper HPU-4M580 Type R) and someone on a forum said it has 2 12V rails with 18A on one and 20A on the other. also ive got a c2d 2.4ghz cpu which came with the standard heatsink - would it be advisable to buy a new cpu heatsink as well although i do not plan to overclock really. thanks guys.
November 19, 2006 10:58:12 AM

It seems very much likely with the link you provided.

If i where you i contacted nvidia/store you got it from about this and get a replacement
Related resources
November 19, 2006 11:00:03 AM

wow - thanks for that - i completely forgot i read something like that a while ago. i may then issue a return on the item. so would you say it is not a problem with the psu or overheating?
November 19, 2006 11:11:29 AM

Well, I suppose it could be either or both.

It is worth checking your card is okay first - so check, as mentioned above, with the supplier - at least that way you will rule out one option and possibly solve the problem in one.
November 19, 2006 11:21:11 AM

ok great ive issued an RMA on the item and i will probably buy a new 8800gtx. when it comes to overheating what is the best way to cool the card? i cant really afford water cooling stuff so i was think about getting a vga cooler and a new heatsink for my cpu. but i dont know much about cooling devices so what are the best things to get cheaply. ive also heard of a artic vga silencer although im not sure if this is appropriate. please let me know what the best way to cool stuf is.
November 19, 2006 11:21:35 AM

Wow, it's a good thing that I wasn't able to buy this card.
November 19, 2006 11:32:35 AM

I was hoping you wouldn't have to RMA it.

I would have thought they could (in some way) identify whether the card is from the faulty batch or not.

Let's be honest, it could be the PSU. I think you should have a go at trying to find out if they (the supplier) can ascertain whether it is one of the original faulty cards or not.

I'd just hate for you to send back a card that was okay and not be able to enjoy it.

My reply to your post prompted me to join the forums as I had just seen the link I posted in my first post - so, I was just offering that info as a pointer.
November 19, 2006 11:41:26 AM

ive had problems with the supplier before (stupid me - going back again to buy more stuff from them) so ive returned the item for my own peace of mind otherwise it will always be on my mind that the card may be faulty. at the end of the day, doing it this way will not require any financial expense from me. once i get the new card, if it does the same then i know the card is not faulty and it's the psu or heating issue. so im commited to this decision.

more importantly though i think i will definately buy some form of cooling so what do you think i should get? vga silencer or a vga cooler fan which connects to a pci slot? im not sure what types of cooling fans there are and which could i fit into my case easily? i really think i will get a new heatsink for my cpu but how do i cool my gpu?
November 19, 2006 12:08:27 PM

Quote:
ive had problems with the supplier before (stupid me - going back again to buy more stuff from them) so ive returned the item for my own peace of mind otherwise it will always be on my mind that the card may be faulty. at the end of the day, doing it this way will not require any financial expense from me. once i get the new card, if it does the same then i know the card is not faulty and it's the psu or heating issue. so im commited to this decision.

more importantly though i think i will definately buy some form of cooling so what do you think i should get? vga silencer or a vga cooler fan which connects to a pci slot? im not sure what types of cooling fans there are and which could i fit into my case easily? i really think i will get a new heatsink for my cpu but how do i cool my gpu?

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/417/1/
November 19, 2006 2:44:28 PM

If you are not going to OC, the stock intel cooler does a good job.

eVGA is the only company that has guaranteed none of the faulty cards got thru their system.

The cooler on the stock card is good and quiet. I am not changing mine.

Staying under ~70 on full load, my old x1900xtx was always pushing 80.
November 19, 2006 6:52:55 PM

You should call the manufacturer on that. There should be a serial number on that card and they can check if it is one of the bad batch of 8800GTX.
November 19, 2006 7:54:58 PM

Quote:
ok great ive issued an RMA on the item and i will probably buy a new 8800gtx. when it comes to overheating what is the best way to cool the card? i cant really afford water cooling stuff so i was think about getting a vga cooler and a new heatsink for my cpu. but i dont know much about cooling devices so what are the best things to get cheaply. ive also heard of a artic vga silencer although im not sure if this is appropriate. please let me know what the best way to cool stuf is.

Whether or not the 8800 was really part of a bad batch, you're running really close with that psu. Hyper is a good company and all, but you might be needing closer to 650wt to run the 8800 card, especially if you have a lot of other hardware or intend to make further upgrades.
November 23, 2006 1:45:48 PM

The psu runs at 630W at peak and ive seen people running a single 8800gtx card with just 500W on some forums. i dont plan to upgrade for a while and when i do decide to go sli (in about a year i think), i will get a more powerful psu. ive contacted xfx and they have said also it might be the cooling. ive sent the card back to my supplier and they say they will check it out. if they dont find a fault, they will send it back and i will have my peace of mind knowing the card is not faulty. the problem now i think is my case came with a really poor rear exhaust fan so im going to get a more powerful one and also take out the hefty (but crap) 250mm side case fan which blows air onto my motherboard. then i think i will try to screw on 2 more 120mm fans as a replacement for this 250mm fan. will there be any problems with this? usually these 120mm case fans come with 3pin cables but is it possible to add a molex 'converter' to these or not?

also how else can i cool my vga card - most of the coolers ive seen wont seem to fit with my 8800gtx?!!!
November 23, 2006 3:43:23 PM

Putting better fans on the case seems like a good idea. I have a 120mm side fan with mine, but it blows air more onto the graphics card than just the center of the motherboard. I've seen plenty of converters out for taking a 4 pin molex to 3 pin wiring, or you could just splice them in yourself.

Another way to cool that 8800 is to add water cooling. I've seen a couple advertised for it, but can't remember where at the moment. Look around and you'll find them. More coolers should come available in time, but it takes a while for companies to get started with a new product.
November 23, 2006 4:15:25 PM

A side 120mm fan did nothing with my X1900XT, stock two-slot cooler. Temps stayed exactly the same, so I took it out to reduce noise. I tried it blowing in and out, no change.

I'd RMA your card and get an eVGA from newegg.com or some other reputable supplier. eVGA's warranty lets you change the stock cooler and overclock the card without voiding it, assuming there's no physical damage to it.

If you want nVidia, eVGA is the way to go.
November 23, 2006 4:24:57 PM

I agree that the side fan is of questionable usage. I haven't tried comparing temps with or without it on my computer, but I read a review about fan placements a long time ago that said that side fans didn't make a big change. I took the route of a watercooled X1900 to avoid the noise factor and get better cooling, so the side fan becomes even more irrelavent.
November 23, 2006 4:36:55 PM

Quote:
The psu runs at 630W at peak and ive seen people running a single 8800gtx card with just 500W on some forums. i dont plan to upgrade for a while and when i do decide to go sli (in about a year i think), i will get a more powerful psu. ive contacted xfx and they have said also it might be the cooling. ive sent the card back to my supplier and they say they will check it out. if they dont find a fault, they will send it back and i will have my peace of mind knowing the card is not faulty. the problem now i think is my case came with a really poor rear exhaust fan so im going to get a more powerful one and also take out the hefty (but crap) 250mm side case fan which blows air onto my motherboard. then i think i will try to screw on 2 more 120mm fans as a replacement for this 250mm fan. will there be any problems with this? usually these 120mm case fans come with 3pin cables but is it possible to add a molex 'converter' to these or not?

also how else can i cool my vga card - most of the coolers ive seen wont seem to fit with my 8800gtx?!!!

>> The psu runs at 630W at peak and ive seen people running a single 8800gtx card with just 500W on some forums

The hiper 580R is a good PSU, it should be more than adequate if you've got an otherwise normal system.

How many HDs, DVDs and what else have you got hanging off the PSU? Are you overclocking?

I've experienced similar problems before with my old BFG 6800 ultra. It came with a splitter connector to allow you to brach off power from the PSU without losing a connection. It turned out there was a badly fitting pin in the connector itself that went open-circuit occasionally when it got warm.

I swapped out the adapter and just used another connector straight from the psu and it worked fine after that. Those white 4 pin PSU connectors are really cheap and crappy and sometimes don't have a good connection even though the pins are massve.

From what I've read on other sites, it seems 78 Celcius is around normal running temp for a 8800gtx.
November 23, 2006 6:59:45 PM

Thanks guys for your quick replies on this.

Quote:
The hiper 580R is a good PSU, it should be more than adequate if you've
got an otherwise normal system.

How many HDs, DVDs and what else have you got hanging off the PSU? Are you overclocking?

thats what i hoped for as well. my supplier seemed very keen to dismiss the problem as a psu problem. but i have only 1 hdd, 2 dvd-rw's and DEFINATELY NO OVERCLOCKING. so it should be fine as you say.

In response to Niz - i doubt there is a problem with any of the connectors im using right now cos i had a 7950gx2 before this and it ran fine with the same connectors. also with the drivers - im uing the drivers on the xfx disk that came with the card. if i use the 97.02 from nvidia site, it doesnt seem to work right (performance drops straight away) so i may wait for the next driver update before things are sorted on that front.

more importantly - im sure that my case internally is not air-cooled right. i am thinking about water cooling but im not sure what compnents i need - its very confusing - reservoir, pumps, waterblocks...!!!! i was looking at www.scan.co.uk and there are lots of these individual components for water cooling but is there not a complete kits that contains EVERYTHING needed? (but is still decent). right now im thinking of ripping ot the 250mm side case fan and replacing it with 2 powerful 120mm fans. is this stupid to do?

finally - my mobo came with a utlity for overclocking and this also gives system information. it shows 3 fans - CPU at ~2000rpm, PWR1 ~1200rpm and System at 0rpm (!). does this mean there is a problem with my rear 120mm exhaust fan? cos i can still feel slightly warm air coming out of it. also there is an ! next to cpu fan so does this mean my heatsink is bad as well :cry:  [/img]?
!