Auto update of sound card driver

A few days ago Windows automatic update prompted me to update the sound card
drivers on my computer. It originally had an NVidia sound driver, after
prompting to update, I now have a Realtek sound driver. It did list the
reasons for the update, but it is it normal for sound and video drivers to be
prompted for updating by Windows rather than HP who manufactured the
computer? Wondering if this was safe.

It is not a good idea to use Windows Update for updating any drivers. I
would recommend downloading a new driver from your sound card site as that
driver will be for your paticular sound card.