Help: RegEdit opens and then immediately closes

RegEdt32 and Task Manager also do this all of a sudden. Applied XP SP2
and this did not help. Thanks for any guidance!
7 answers Last reply
More about help regedit opens immediately closes

    Hi,
    I dont know whats going on here, I havent heard any explnations yet but I
    have had problems with programs not opening, after SP2 install. And I am
    hearing more and more accounts of it.
    Best to take SP2 out, get a popup blocker and a firewall and forget about SP2.

    "Ollie North" wrote:

    > RegEdt32 and Task Manager also do this all of a sudden. Applied XP SP2
    > and this did not help. Thanks for any guidance!

    Hi Ollie,

    As Will has stated, you need to run a virus check on the system with an
    updated antivirus utility. The symptoms you are experiencing are a symptom
    of several viruses, including Klez and Yaha. I would suggest that in
    addition to your existing one, you also download stinger from
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/, then restart in Safe mode and run the
    system scans. This is necessary because the virus that is causing this
    behavior will mask itself from protection in Normal mode.

    How to start in Safe mode:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Ollie North" <Ollie.North@Contra.com> wrote in message
    > RegEdt32 and Task Manager also do this all of a sudden. Applied XP SP2
    > and this did not help. Thanks for any guidance!

    "Ollie North" <Ollie.North@Contra.com> wrote in message
    > RegEdt32 and Task Manager also do this all of a sudden. Applied XP SP2
    > and this did not help. Thanks for any guidance!

    Run an up to date virus check. One is available online here:
    http://housecall.antivirus.com/

    Then eliminate any scumware.
    CAUTION!!!!! Before you try to remove spyware using any of these programs ,
    download a copy of LSPFIX from any of the following sites:
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    (if your OS is Win2k or XP) The process of removing certain malware may kill
    your internet connection. If this should occur, this program, LSPFIX, will
    enable you to regain your connection.

    See
    Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
    won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
    before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
    than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/cwshredder.zip
    **Post your HijackThis log to
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
    Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
    may be found on this page:
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.

    See this link for information about malware:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

    If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Hi

    Run a virus check on your system, with the latest definitions for your AV
    program.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    Ollie North wrote:
    > RegEdt32 and Task Manager also do this all of a sudden. Applied XP SP2
    > and this did not help. Thanks for any guidance!

    The type of behavior you describe is typical behavior of more than
    one virus/worm, the three below being the most common:

    W32.Klez
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.e@mm.html

    W32.Yaha
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.yaha.c@mm.html

    W32.Spybot.Worm
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.spybot.worm.html

    Because many of the newer viruses and worms, such as the
    Spybot mentioned above, can disable antivirus applications whose
    definitions aren't kept up-to-date, try using one or more of the free
    on-line scanners to double-check your system.

    Trend Micro - Free online virus Scan
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    McAfee Security - FreeScan
    http://www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp

    Panda ActiveScan - Free online scanner

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 07:29:04 -0600, "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP"
    <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote:

    >"Ollie North" <Ollie.North@Contra.com> wrote in message
    >> RegEdt32 and Task Manager also do this all of a sudden. Applied XP SP2
    >> and this did not help. Thanks for any guidance!
    >
    >Run an up to date virus check. One is available online here:
    >http://housecall.antivirus.com/
    >
    >Then eliminate any scumware.
    >CAUTION!!!!! Before you try to remove spyware using any of these programs ,
    >download a copy of LSPFIX from any of the following sites:
    >http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    >http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
    >(if your OS is Win2k or XP) The process of removing certain malware may kill
    >your internet connection. If this should occur, this program, LSPFIX, will
    >enable you to regain your connection.
    >
    >See
    >Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
    >http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    >
    >Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
    >won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
    >before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
    >than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
    >http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/cwshredder.zip
    >**Post your HijackThis log to
    >http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
    >http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    >http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
    >http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
    >Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
    >may be found on this page:
    >http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.
    >

    >See this link for information about malware:
    >http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars
    >
    >If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

    Thank you! I had run numerous scans, and the key was safe mode and
    WindowsockXPfix. Doh! All better now. Thanks so much!

    > Thank you! I had run numerous scans, and the key was safe mode and
    > WindowsockXPfix. Doh! All better now. Thanks so much!

    Thanks for the feedback.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

Regedit Task Manager Microsoft Windows XP