Any SD cards or other with external mic input?

February 24, 2005 3:39:54 PM

Before I pull my IPaq 2215 apart and wire up an external mic jack... does
anyone know of any add-on hardware that would allow for recording from an
external mic?

Many thanks,
Keith

--
The enclosed questions or comments are entirely mine and don't represent the
thoughts, views, or policy of my employer. Any errors or omissions are my

In retrospect, my wife would probably record audio directly to her SD memory
card, so preferably an audio input card that fits in the other Ipaq slot
(not sure what it is- CF?)

"KR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Before I pull my IPaq 2215 apart and wire up an external mic jack... does
> anyone know of any add-on hardware that would allow for recording from an
> external mic?
>
> Many thanks,
> Keith
>
> --
> The enclosed questions or comments are entirely mine and don't represent
the
> thoughts, views, or policy of my employer. Any errors or omissions are my
> own.

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 8:54:38 PM

I have good news and bad news. The good news is that there is in fact a CF
audio input card. http://www.core-sound.com/pdaudio-cf.html The bad news is
near the bottom of the page http://www.core-sound.com/pdaudio-cf.html#PRICE

> In retrospect, my wife would probably record audio directly to her SD
> memory
> card, so preferably an audio input card that fits in the other Ipaq slot
> (not sure what it is- CF?)
>

> "KR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Before I pull my IPaq 2215 apart and wire up an external mic jack... does
>> anyone know of any add-on hardware that would allow for recording from an
>> external mic?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> Keith
>>
>> --
>> The enclosed questions or comments are entirely mine and don't represent
> the
>> thoughts, views, or policy of my employer. Any errors or omissions are my
>> own.

February 25, 2005 12:11:02 AM

I was thinking of trying a bluetooth headset for phones. Has anybody tried
this?

Another cool invention would be a WI-FI network transmitter with RCA
video/audio plug-ins that converted the input signal into a compressed
streaming video file that a program on the PDA could play.

"KR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> In retrospect, my wife would probably record audio directly to her SD
> memory
> card, so preferably an audio input card that fits in the other Ipaq slot
> (not sure what it is- CF?)
>

> "KR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Before I pull my IPaq 2215 apart and wire up an external mic jack... does
>> anyone know of any add-on hardware that would allow for recording from an
>> external mic?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> Keith
>>
>> --
>> The enclosed questions or comments are entirely mine and don't represent
> the
>> thoughts, views, or policy of my employer. Any errors or omissions are my
>> own.

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 12:11:03 AM

"Thomas Fletcher" <ocalaliving@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I was thinking of trying a bluetooth headset for phones. Has anybody tried
>this?

I have the HP bluetooth headphones, and they sound quite good. My
experience has been mostly positive, only occasional pop and drops, battery
life quite good. Once paired, it is as simple as slipping on the headphones
and pressing the center button. You can even navigate between songs
directly from the phones. The A2DP driver does ask a lot of the PPC, and you
will notice it in device response when active. I can usually stream music
and browse despite the warning that WIFI and the driver should not be used
together, albeit with a few more pops than usual. A lot of people have
reported issues with the plastic comprising the band between phones
cracking, but so far so good. DavesIpaq has a good review/discussion on
these phone, with rather mixed user results.

I have used a standard bluetooth headset with ipaqs, but found the audio
quality quite poor - maybe okay for a short phone conversation, but I would
not even consider using them for music. The lack of stereo sound is only
the beginning of the problems with these in my experience. Even a simple
program I had written to use the phones for voice control failed miserably
due to the poor quality. Quite a disappointment, but could not find a
better driver for the return at this time.

So, in a word, if you want to listen to music via bluetooth, go for A2DP or
steer clear at this time.

> Another cool invention would be a WI-FI network transmitter with RCA
> video/audio plug-ins that converted the input signal into a compressed
> streaming video file that a program on the PDA could play.

Lots of folks (me included) use a computer with a tv tuner that will
broadcast out the "live" video to anything on the local network, laptops and
PPC included. Cool thing is that you can get all cable channels this way in
yor hand, not just the broadcast ones, as well as any recorded content.
Audio inputs are supported as well. This might be something you want to
check out. For starters, go to www.snapstream.com

Personally I a waiting for the price of a small wireless (802.11b\g) 2.5"
hard drive enclosure (with good battery cells) to drop\come about. I want
to use it with a 100 gig drive and my IPAQ, giving me a LOT of
data\multimedia at hand (well, at pocket? <g> )
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 12:11:03 AM

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 21:11:02 GMT, Thomas Fletcher
<ocalaliving@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I was thinking of trying a bluetooth headset for phones. Has anybody
> tried
> this?
>
> Another cool invention would be a WI-FI network transmitter with RCA
> video/audio plug-ins that converted the input signal into a compressed
> streaming video file that a program on the PDA could play.
>

> "KR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> In retrospect, my wife would probably record audio directly to her SD
>> memory
>> card, so preferably an audio input card that fits in the other Ipaq slot
>> (not sure what it is- CF?)
>>

>> "KR" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Before I pull my IPaq 2215 apart and wire up an external mic jack...
>>> does
>>> anyone know of any add-on hardware that would allow for recording from
>>> an
>>> external mic?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> Keith
>>>
>>> --
>>> The enclosed questions or comments are entirely mine and don't
>>> represent
>> the
>>> thoughts, views, or policy of my employer. Any errors or omissions are
>>> my
>>> own.

Using a bluetooth headset for recording to a PPC leads to quite horrible
results.

--
Brad Isaac
http://www.pocketpcaddict.com

I think if I'm going to spend more than $100, I might as well just put that
money toward a new PPC that actually has audio input. The bluetooth
headphones suggested by other posters wouldn't work for me either, unless
they had an audio input jack. Oh well, I guess I'm off to review newer PPCs
and/or digital recorders.

Thanks to all for your input,
Keith

!