has anyone ever heard of dynex?

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Link don't work, but I'll tell you now, don't go with them. No name PSU's are probably the worst thing you can do for your comp... would you rather pay more for quality heroin? Or take a chance on dieing with cheap heroin?

And uh.. if they don't list specs... that tells you something right there.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Link don't work, but I'll tell you now, don't go with them. No name PSU's are probably the worst thing you can do for your comp... would you rather pay more for quality heroin? Or take a chance on dieing with cheap heroin?

And uh.. if they don't list specs... that tells you something right there.

ah but it's all they have at futureshop. damn them and their cheap heroin!

tirefire

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
Dynex is a brand created by Best Buy, if I recall correctly. I've bought Dynex batteries, CD-Rs, and a wireless dynex mouse and they all worked great but I don't know if I'd trust them to build a quality PSU.

For $136 for 500W you can get a much more powerful PSU from a much more reputable manufacturer.

hello everyone.

i was looking around futureshop the other day for a new power supply, and found one that didnt list the amps per rail. has anyone ever seen or used this power supply?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10072461&catid=10482

If you are willing to spend that much on a crap PSU, how do you feel about spending a little less for real premium quality PSUs?

Seasonic S12 ENERGY+ 550W - $128 CAD

PC Power & Cooling Ultra Quiet Silencer 470 ATX 470W - $116 CAD

Both PSU are high quality and very quiet.

One more:

Fortron FSP AX500-A 500W ATX12V - $94 CAD

Fortron is a well known PSU company and the 500w PSU is very good.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Please don't buy computer stuff at futureshop/bestbuy unless it is a peripheral or a smoking hot deal. Either find a local computer parts store or buy online from ncix, canadacomputers or memoryexpress.

Fulmar

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
I own a Dynex external hard drive enclosure. I only bought it because I had a Best Buy gift card and I tend not to buy too many things at Best Buy because they're overpriced and I hate their sales associates. Plus, I've dealt with a lot of bonehead Geek Squad guys.

I would recommend not buying the power supply. Like other said, you can buy a much better brand name and probably more watts for that price.

The hard drive enclosure I have is fair/poor quality. For the $50 I spent my giftcard on it, it is like a $20 quality. The power cable pins that attach to the enclosure are easy to bend and caused me a bunch of problems before.

Rashind

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
hello everyone.

i was looking around futureshop the other day for a new power supply, and found one that didnt list the amps per rail. has anyone ever seen or used this power supply?

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10072461&catid=10482

I bought a 50-pack of their DVD-R's (yes, it's a -R compatible drive!), started burning, wound up 0 for 3. Took them right the hell back to best buy. Stay away.

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
I own a Dynex external hard drive enclosure. I only bought it because I had a Best Buy gift card and I tend not to buy too many things at Best Buy because they're overpriced and I hate their sales associates. Plus, I've dealt with a lot of bonehead Geek Squad guys.

I can't stand dealing with the sales people at Bestbuy. Most of them are complete idiots that pretend to be authoritative experts on whatever product you happen to be looking at. I go out of my way to avoid them at all costs if I do happen to shop there (they do sometimes have good ad specials).

Anyhow avoid Dynex. I bought a Dynex network card a long time ago that I ended up returning. If they can f**k up a network card, I'd hate to see what they can do with a psu.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
thanks for the replies everyone. the reason i want a new PS is because im planning on getting a redeon x1950 pro agp when it comes out. anyone know the requirements for that?

p.s i decided against dynex!

thanks for the replies everyone. the reason i want a new PS is because im planning on getting a redeon x1950 pro agp when it comes out. anyone know the requirements for that?

p.s i decided against dynex!

If you are willing to spend that much on a crap PSU, how do you feel about spending a little less for real premium quality PSUs?

Seasonic S12 ENERGY+ 550W - $128 CAD

PC Power & Cooling Ultra Quiet Silencer 470 ATX 470W - $116 CAD

Both PSU are high quality and very quiet.

One more:

Fortron FSP AX500-A 500W ATX12V - $94 CAD

Fortron is a well known PSU company and the 500w PSU is very good.

Any one of the above PSU will be able to handle it.