Sign in with
Your question

Need to upgrade 2Ghz P4 System on a tight budget.

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 19, 2006 5:56:50 PM

I have an old 2Ghz P4 system that is in need of an upgrade until I can build a newer C2D system

Curent specs:
Pentium 4 @2Ghz s478 FSB400
Intel D845BG Motherboard W/ AGP x4
512 mb DDR 133
GeForce 2 GTS (...yes im still using a GeForce 2)64mb AGP x4
300w PSU
PATA 100 Gb HDD
PATA 60 Gb HDD

I've Decided that my Memory, GPU, and PSU should be upgraded, but a motherboard upgrade is too expensive right now. Here are the parts I have picked out so far:

ATI 100-435712 Radeon X850PRO 256MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - $139.99

APEVIA (ASPIRE) ATX-CW500WP4 ATX 500W Power Supply - Retail
$39.99

pqi POWER Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 266 (PC 2100) Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model MD641GUOE-X2 -
$95.99

so total with shiping comes to about $280 any sugestions would be helpfull thanks

More about : upgrade 2ghz system tight budget

November 20, 2006 6:45:42 PM

Here is a good psu: dont get that aspire thing.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

And there is a better video card this one has a r480 core with means its really a x800xt pe card.

Its very hard to find now though.
Sapphire X800GTO Fireblade Edition 256mb....Check out my signature for my overclock :) 
November 20, 2006 7:34:40 PM

Well so long as you understand that all the money you spend on that system is pretty much wasted...

You won't need a 500w PSU for that, but you will want a branded one (as in a good branded one).

Make sure you're buying the right RAM, I don't know if it's confusion or what that made you write 'DDR133' - just make sure you're not using SDRAM.
Related resources
November 20, 2006 8:21:03 PM

So you currently have 512MB of PC2100? You could go to just a gig by buying 1 stick and save some money. I don't think you'll generally see a huge performance increase from 1 to 1.5 GB.

That seems like a lot of money for an AGP video card that you can't use in a new system if you ever get around to building one. I know you've gotta do what you've gotta do but if you could come up with another $250 you could have an overclocked C2D and possibly a better video card for the same $140 price point.
November 20, 2006 9:10:27 PM

If I were you I'd stick it out and get a cheap C2D system when you can afford it. Otherwise that money on RAM and graphics card is going to be wasted when you move to C2D.

You only need a cheap mobo, E6300, 1GB RAM (upgrade later as RAM is dear right now) and new PSU.

If you really can't wait, you could try and survive without the new PSU for now - that would save you money - go here if you haven't already:

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

Or as mr_fnord says you could buy less RAM and only have 1GB total - that's enough for Windows XP and most uses.

The graphics card is a good buy for AGP, but as mr_fnord says you pay a premium for AGP so again it would be better to wait.
November 20, 2006 9:45:44 PM

Definantly check on what type of ram you have.

You have an early P4 (with the 400FSB) and most likely you have SDRAM, not DDR. Initially RDRAM was used in old P4 systems, but it became too expensive. So to cut costs manufacturers started using SDRAM which is considerably slower than DDR and A LOT slower than RDRAM.

Is your computer a homebuilt one or is like a Dell, Gateway, etc?

If I were you, I'd save my money and start from scratch. What you're upgrading is still going to be outdated and your performance gain (for whatever you use your computer for) will not be very noticable (with the exception of the graphics card).

For games, you computer is going to be getting to the point of bottlenecking. That AGP card is nice, but with newer games the rest of your system is going to lag behind. Unless you're not planning on games, then I'd recommend load on as much ram as possible.
!