Will this rig with an 805 reach 4GHz?

Tags:
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
November 19, 2006 6:31:51 PM

Hi THG-readers,

I plan to have the following build:

Mobo: GIGABYTE® "6 Quad" iP965
Mem: 1x Transcend® JetRam™ High-Performance 1GB DDR2-800 240-Pin Module (another one a bit later to make it 2GB)
CPU: Intel Pentium D 805
CPU cooler: zalman CNPS9700LED
GFX: 1x Asus Geforce 7600GT Silent pci-express
HDD: 1x Seagate SATAI 300GB drive, 1x Seagate SATAII 320GB drive
FANs: 2x 80mm (rear, side), 2x 120mm (front, top)
DVD: LiteOn dual layer writer
CASE: standard p4 tower with reasonable ventilation
PSU: Enermax Noisetaker 600w

Specs on the PSU:
Enermax Noisetaker 600w ( 12v : 420w ) , all-in-1 for ATX,EPS12V,BTX , nVidia SLi certificated , external fan speed control knob , corrosion resistant , High Efficiency , ring core technology for EMI shielding , active PFC , 20/24pin + 4 or 8pin 12v AUX , 8+9cm auto+manual thermal controled smart fan ( after PC shuts down, fans keep running for 2 mins to cool down parts and hardware inside PSU and PC case ) , dual 12V rails ; with OCP , OLP , OVP , OTP , SCP , UVP protection

My question is will I be able to OC the 805 to 4GHz?

A side question: can this PSU support an 8-series gcard as well as the kentsfield? (would the noisetaker 650 watt be a better choice...my budget is a tight one by the way but I want to have a good upgrade path) or would the zalman 600w be better?

Zalman specs:
zalman ZM600-HP : 600w with EPS12V support + heat-pipe technology , with modular cable management , blue E-Led , active PFC , 1 x 120mm auto control cooling fan , one Multi-connector for Fan ; Active PFC , SATA ready ; with OVP ( Over-Voltage Protection ) , OCP ( Over-Current Protection , SCP ( Short Circuit Protection )

Thanks!

More about : rig 805 reach 4ghz

November 19, 2006 6:45:01 PM

No, not on air.

3.6-3.8 max
November 19, 2006 7:16:18 PM

Don't even bother with the Pentium D 805. The Core 2 Duo E6300 is a bit more, but the performance difference is astounding.
Related resources
November 19, 2006 7:23:36 PM

Quote:
Don't even bother with the Pentium D 805. The Core 2 Duo E6300 is a bit more, but the performance difference is astounding.

Exactly. In it's day the only reason to buy a D805 was for the overclockability, with the only drawbacks being the massive heat and power consumption. Nowadays (compared to Core 2/x2) the D805 is a HORRIBLE chip.

Spend the little extra on the E6300, or maybe even an x2 3800+. But if you MUST stay with a Pentium D series at least get a D9** series CPU.
November 19, 2006 7:32:51 PM

i was thinking of the 805 being a little hop between my current athlon xp 2600+ (its lag is driving me insane) to the quadcore or to the core2 extreme.

The 805 costs half as much as the e6300 (in my country)...but if both is OCed with the above rig, how much performance gain will the e6300 have over the 805? If its only 20% i wont bother, but if its more than 50% i might consider it.

The question is about price/performance gain... just like for sataII drives, the 320 is the best price per gig...
November 19, 2006 7:57:11 PM

ok so if i went E6300...and with either the zalman 600 or enermax 600 or 650, would i be able to in the future, swap the 7600gt with an 8-series and the E6300 with the kentsfield and have enough power for a stable/working system?
November 19, 2006 8:08:45 PM

A Kentsfield with an 8800GTX would be fine on an 600W powersupply.
November 19, 2006 8:14:29 PM

Well i agree with the E6300 choice (if you plan on overclocking). If the e6300 is 2x the price , You might also look at the D915 you should be able to hit 4ghz on air and in the US its not that much more then the d805.

As far as power you would not be able to run a d805 oc'd with a 8800gtx. The other issue is you would be cpu limited with the 8800 series, you will also be cpu limted with e6300 but at least you have more headroom.
November 19, 2006 8:18:36 PM

Quote:
Well i agree with the E6300 choice (if you plan on overclocking). If the e6300 is 2x the price , You might also look at the D915 you should be able to hit 4ghz on air and in the US its not that much more then the d805.

As far as power you would not be able to run a d805 oc'd with a 8800gtx. The other issue is you would be cpu limited with the 8800 series, you will also be cpu limted with e6300 but at least you have more headroom.

I was thinking more on the lines of whether the above psu's (which one would be best scenario) would be able to support the above system with the cpu replaced by a quadcore and the gfx replaced by a 8-series card.
November 19, 2006 8:20:52 PM

Also the fact that they dont consider OC'ed Pentium D's in performance charts of intel (mainly core2duo cpus) vs amd (x2 and fx cpus) means that it is crappy... am i correct in this assumption?
November 19, 2006 9:15:29 PM

The PD805 is on such a lower level than any C2D that they should never be mentioned in the same breath. The performance delta is so huge that you can't even compare them. If you must upgrade now and cannot afford C2D, I would second the suggestion of a PD 9xx series cpu, but then again you are still investing in a dead technology. If you are a gamer you could try to find a cedar mill-based P4, which is basically a single-core 9xx series. But i still think it's wise to wait.

Next year we will be seeing single-core Conroe-L chips bearing the Pentium name, which will be better than any single-core chip you can buy today. Trust me, if you buy a PD today, you will be kicking yourself a few short months down the road.
November 19, 2006 9:21:13 PM

Quote:
The PD805 is on such a lower level than any C2D that they should never be mentioned in the same breath. The performance delta is so huge that you can't even compare them. If you must upgrade now and cannot afford C2D, I would second the suggestion of a PD 9xx series cpu, but then again you are still investing in a dead technology. If you are a gamer you could try to find a cedar mill-based P4, which is basically a single-core 9xx series. But i still think it's wise to wait.

Next year we will be seeing single-core Conroe-L chips bearing the Pentium name, which will be better than any single-core chip you can buy today. Trust me, if you buy a PD today, you will be kicking yourself a few short months down the road.

Cool! Im seriously thinking of getting the E6300...im never going single-core ever again lol im so sick of my cpu... i need to play games and copy at the same time...
November 20, 2006 7:28:37 AM

Quote:
Actually, I think it will because of the zalman cooler, though I have never heard of that ram before, adn ram usually is bottleneck for extreme overclocking. Just another thing to add is, even a 4ghz, almost any AMD or conroe can kill that d 805 five it is just a horrible cpu in general. Intel made that processor by adding two netburst cores in die, yet the netburst cores were horrible compared the athlon 64s. They ran hot and were slower even when they were clocked as much as a ghz more. So even if you do get it up to 4 ghz, all that you will end up doing is shortening your cpu's lifeline and regretting you bought the processor. :cry: 

I don't want to be mean or anything, I just don't want to regret making a huge purchase like I have many times. :wink:

Cool, no problem, everyone's comment is appreciated.
November 24, 2006 9:22:38 PM

hey guys, do you think an overclocked E6300 (in the above mobo and with the above ram) will be able to run with a single geforce 8-series card using a 600 watt power supply?
November 25, 2006 7:25:49 AM

Tight budget huh? Check the link over my siggy.

Do some changes to it, and it'll still be better than Pentium D 805. Change PSU (Enermax 600W), GFX (7600GT), or even MOBO (Gigabyte 965P-DQ6). Keep the Stock HSF and save some money. :) 

Anyway, use it as a raw guide, and judge yourself. :) 
November 27, 2006 7:09:41 AM

Well i want to have some decent gaming, while at the same time be able to switch to a quad core a few years later as well as a 8-series gfx card (hence the "big" psu)

Im so tired of my current rig...i cant even play supreme commander when there are like more than 50 units...but the gfx is good...its my 2600+ thats the bottleneck. I didnt want to play oblivion cause the lag was getting on my nerves :D 

Anyways... i want a good upgrade path.

Thanks for the info ^^
December 4, 2006 3:05:11 AM

oh yeah easily i have the same board and cpu just don't forget to hit crtl+ f1 in the bios and bump up your ram, mch and fsb volts a little bit don't take your cpu too high mine's sitting at 4.10 at 1.4065 volts

oh yeah and btw to the guy who says no to air i am running it with a coolermaster vortex tx with arctic silver 5 and last time i checked my peak temps on FULL load were 152 degrees farenheit MAX
December 5, 2006 9:18:27 PM

And your ambient/room temp is?

I'm curious coz that's not one of the best hsf around, and those are definitely not heatpiped hsf. In fact, I haven't seen such results from such hsf.

Unless of course, if you're staying in Antartica? Or your CPU is right in front of your AC? Or in your fridge/freezer? Or in your ice box? :p 

Anyway, just curious ... :)