Fan dont seem to do much

GirRobot

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
Guess i shoudld start of with what i'm using first

e6600 stock, gigabyte s3 board, gigabyte g power pro HS/Fan, 7600gt 256mb, 2gb ddr2-800mhz corsair twinx. Also got 3 fan on the case, one at front pulling air in, one at side pulling air in and one at back pushing air out.

Now.. i got the fan speed controller set up and well... it dont seem to matter if its running at 1600rpm or 3200rpm, my temps drop by maybe 1 degree C in the difference. Im using TAT for temps not the onboard reading, cos it dont seem to work well.

I took off, cleaned and reseated the heatsink, which helped the temps by about 3 degrees from the original. Currently it runs at about 47-50 idle and up to 72 under full load, which considering it isn't overclocked ( which i do want to do, but cant with these temps :'( ) seems a teeeny tad bit high. Anyone got any ideas?

GirRobot

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
If anyone cares I figured out hwat was wrong. the heatsink wasnt sitting on properly, after pulling it off there was only thermal compund stuff on one corner of the HS base, but over the whole cpu heat spreader.. i think the bracket thing for it is a bit off. the stock cooler for it keeps it at about 46-48 idle (edit: I hear this drops after a few days once the thermal compound settles?), which still sounds high to me, but maybe its suffering from the same problem and its infact something wrong with the board, causing it to sit slightly at an angle? if thats the case is there any decent solution?

do you have Speed Step on?

if not...that temp seems close to normal....but under load it should stay under lets say 65 or so....

To turn on speed step set you power save mode in windows to portable/laptop....

check cpu-z and the speed should drop at idle(1.6 ghz)....well as long as it is on in the bios.....

Hope this helps

t53186

Distinguished
I use a zalman 9500 which by designsits squarley and flat againts the cpu heat spreader, along with AS 5 thermal compound and my temp never get above 45. My case fans (2-120mm) barely come on (MB speed control).

I suspect your still having problems with compound application or mateing the heat sink to the cpu.

Try again, clean everything, use a small amount of compound spread evenly. Artic Silver recommends a small ribbon down the middle of the cpu heat spreader, then allowing the heat sink to spread it out by turning the heat sink 1 or 2 degrees. They also mention that air bubbles trapped by too much compound can causes hot spots by insulating the cpu from the heat sink (too much goop caused air bubbles)

good luck

Tat uses in Intel's own sensor in the die..on most boards the bios reads a sensor in the socket or near there....that temp goes to the winbond chip....as such the bios and most software is off by a good bit....

CoreTemp and TAT are accurate....but intels specs the max temp as being for the top of the heatspreader.....so the 60.1 thing is closer to 70-75 in coretemp..but over 70 is a sign of a missinstalled heatsink....or poor ventilation(i have poor ventilation and still keep in under 60 @ load.....)

I hope this helps...

TRENDING THREADS