My DX10 C2D computer

Vindicoth

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Will probably be building this computer soon, just wanted to get your guys opinion on the parts etc.

I already have all the HD's already so they aren't included in the list

I repeat, I have all HD's already so they aren't included in the list.

Here's the newegg wishlist link

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=4517528

The only thing I can't really decide on is a good cooler that isn't gonna run 40+ bucks just to see a 2C-3C difference

1 NZXT LEXA-NP Black/ Silver Aluminum Construction Plastic Front Panel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

1 eVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

1 eVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card - Retail
Model #: 640-P2-N821-AR

1 HIPER HPU-4K580-MS ATX12V 580W Power Supply - Retail

1 Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail

1 Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC22G6400LLK - Retail

1 SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model SH-S182D - OEM

1 Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

Subtotal: $1,589.93

Mr_Gasket

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Im assuming you mean dry not liquid.
This hsf got kickin' reviews.
ICE BOX:
Looks like you got all your ducks in a row.One thing i didnt see on the list.

SHIP TO:Mr_Gasket

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
If you're seriously set on Direct X10, spend the extra money on the 8800GTX as it's noticably faster in Direct X9; chances are this will be even more usual when it comes to Direct X10.

You left out hard drives from your list. :p :p

---------------------------

You should really get a better PSU. Based off of the info from Hiper's website, the PSU can only provide up to 30 amps on the combined 12v rails:

http://www.hipergroup.com/English/products/hpu-4k580.html

I don't know how many hard drives you have and how much you will be overclocking, but you should get something that can provide more than that Hiper.

The OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply is $102 (after rebates) + shipping. It can provide up to 35 amps on the 12v rails. That 60w more than the Hiper can.

Vindicoth

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006

You left out hard drives from your list. :p :p

---------------------------

You should really get a better PSU. Based off of the info from Hiper's website, the PSU can only provide up to 30 amps on the combined 12v rails:

http://www.hipergroup.com/English/products/hpu-4k580.html

I don't know how many hard drives you have and how much you will be overclocking, but you should get something that can provide more than that Hiper.

The OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply is $102 (after rebates) + shipping. It can provide up to 35 amps on the 12v rails. That 60w more than the Hiper can.

I only have 1 internal hard drive, 1 external hard drive. I really dont see needing more than 580 watts for that. I plan on overclocking but with just a regular aftermarket cooler, nothing super fancy. The reason I went with the hiper one is also because its modular. Now do you think that going with the OCZ one over the hiper one with my setup (1 hd, 1 external, 1 dvd burner, videocard) i'm really gonna need that much extra power? also that OCZ power supply has ALOT of wires.. less clutter provides better airflow which provides better cooling. This will be like my 5th or 6th build so I don't know much but will the difference be that much over the hiper?

also about the GTS vs the GTX, do you happen to have any comparisons?

Vindicoth

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Also, is there anyone out there that can comment on the case? It's not the most beautiful case in the world but I chose it because it has huge amounts of space inside and I heard it's also good at keeping pretty cool.

sviola

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
The GameXstream he mentioned is 600W, which is very close to those 580W you want, but the higher current (35A) will make a difference in stability for your system.

About your case, it's a huge case, I've seen it around, you might do fine with it. But if your not very fond of it's look and just chose it for the size, there're better looking ones that'll give you some great space inside the case. For the same price you can get the Tt Armor (with mail in rebate) and for a little less you can get the Tt Tsunami.

1 Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
Not required for the ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler. It already has pre-applied thermal compound on the heatsink. It works as good, or better than AS5 for this cooler. And because its pre-applied makes installation very very easy. Snaps right into the stock HSF mounting.
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro review

NZXT LEXA case doesnt have the removable hard drive cage that may be necessary due to the length of the 8800GTX cards. Unless you know for sure the 8800GTX fits you should have a backup plan for the case choice. NZXT forum: Will a 8800gtx fit into my Lexa?

It's almost impossible to know for sure if you don't have confirmation through a reliable source. My guess would be no.

Look for a case with a removable hard drive cage
Thermaltake Tsunami
11-133-132-23.JPG

or a case with extra space where the graphics card would go. LIAN LI PC-61
11-112-025-28.jpg