Your question

70C Stock E6600

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Computer
  • Heatsinks
Last response: in CPUs
November 19, 2006 9:58:25 PM

Just finished building up a new computer with a EVGA 680i motherboard, E6600, Scythe Ninja Rev B heatsink, Arctic Silver 5, all in an Antec P180.
On boot the bios start out showing around 50C then slowly rise until sitting around 70C. Everything is brand new and the heatsink fins and heatpipes are cool to the touch. I booted up windows and within probably 10 minutes of updating drives the computer shuts off without warning. I want to think its the heatsink not getting good contact but dont want to rip the entire computer apart on a bad assumption.

Any ideas?

More about : 70c stock e6600

November 19, 2006 9:59:28 PM

Quote:
Just finished building up a new computer with a EVGA 680i motherboard, E6600, Scythe Ninja Rev B heatsink, Arctic Silver 5, all in an Antec P180.
On boot the bios start out showing around 50C then slowly rise until sitting around 70C. Everything is brand new and the heatsink fins and heatpipes are cool to the touch. I booted up windows and within probably 10 minutes of updating drives the computer shuts off without warning. I want to think its the heatsink not getting good contact but dont want to rip the entire computer apart on a bad assumption.

Any ideas?

Reseat heatsink/fan ensure its "clean".
November 19, 2006 10:05:45 PM

There is a specific way to apply AS5 to Core 2's that differ from most other CPU's. Did you use this method?
Related resources
November 19, 2006 10:06:45 PM

Quote:
There is a specific way to apply AS5 to Core 2's that differ from most other CPU's. Did you use this method?

There is a different method? Do tell!!!
November 19, 2006 10:09:48 PM

Quote:

I applied it just like the instructions on thier website. Those may have been for Pentium D's though. I put on a very small line down the center then spread it around with a plastic bag. What is so special about applying it to a Core 2?
November 19, 2006 10:11:17 PM

Quote:

I applied it just like the instructions on thier website. Those may have been for Pentium D's though. I put on a very small line down the center then spread it around with a plastic bag. What is so special about applying it to a Core 2?
Apparently when most people with the same problem as you tried this method it yielded better temperature results.
November 19, 2006 10:16:01 PM

Quote:

Apparently when most people with the same problem as you tried this method it yielded better temperature results.

So are you saying I did apply it right? Should I still try doing it over again?
November 19, 2006 10:17:51 PM

If its a very thin layer, applied in that method then you most likely did it correctly.
November 19, 2006 10:18:51 PM

My motherboard will do a smart cpu fan control that you can set the temp on. Even at 60C it still didnt help the temps.
November 19, 2006 10:20:28 PM

Hmm. Thinking about it Im not sure exactly how thick it was. Would too thick of a layer really make it run that hot under barely any load though?

Edit: Whats best to remove AS5? Isopropyl Alchohol?
November 19, 2006 10:24:21 PM

Quote:
Hmm. Thinking about it Im not sure exactly how thick it was. Would too thick of a layer really make it run that hot under barely any load though?

Edit: Whats best to remove AS5? Isopropyl Alchohol?

Well the thickness is moot point since the heatsink will have its way on overall contact, too much though you just end up wasteing it as its sqeezed out. Ya that will work or methal hydrate.
November 19, 2006 10:26:19 PM

Quote:
I guess your heatsink just sucks, though I have heard a lot of people complaining about stock intel heatsinks, so thats probably what it. I always recommend either the arctic cooling freezer pro 7 for budgets, or the either the zalman 9500 or 9700 if you have the money. Short of water cooling, the zalmans will be the best theing you can buy for less then a hundred (vigor has a nice tec cooler for about 150)

He has that after market Ninja heatsink though.
November 19, 2006 10:29:32 PM

This is the first Core 2 over heat thread I've actually participated in.
Let me go over some obvious points here.

Is the HSF secure enough?
Did you use the right amount of AS5?
Do you have good air flow?

Don't be offended by these simple questions. I have to ask them.
November 19, 2006 10:33:54 PM

Quote:
This is the first Core 2 over heat thread I've actually participated in.
Let me go over some obvious points here.

Is the HSF secure enough?
Did you use the right amount of AS5?
Do you have good air flow?

Don't be offended by these simple questions. I have to ask them.

1: Yes
2: As far as I know. Thats my guess though.
3: Cables are tucked away as nicely as possible, spent over an hour and a half running them in the case. 120mm fan on heatsink and 2 exauhst fans within an inch of it. All components feel cool to the touch, even heatsink and heatpipes.
November 19, 2006 10:39:22 PM

Quote:
3: Cables are tucked away as nicely as possible, spent over an hour and a half running them in the case. 120mm fan on heatsink and 2 exauhst fans within an inch of it. All components feel cool to the touch, even heatsink and heatpipes.

Sorry, Im understandably not having a good day.
November 19, 2006 10:49:44 PM

Have you tried Core Temp?
November 19, 2006 10:51:00 PM

Im going to go try core temp if my computer will even stay on long enough for it to install. Ill be back with an update
November 19, 2006 11:10:12 PM

Core Temp didnt install on Vista so I tried NTune. Currently running 73C. Sounds like its time to rebuild!
November 19, 2006 11:12:59 PM

Do you have XP? Try Core Temp with XP if possible.

Why the hell is it so high???!!! :x
November 19, 2006 11:19:04 PM

No, I dont have a copy of XP for that system. Im going to try and reseat the heatsink to see if it drops at all. Looking around at other forums, it sounds like a thick apply of AS5 can screw your temps pretty bad. Ill try removing it and running a bit less.
November 19, 2006 11:23:51 PM

Any last suggestions? I just realized that it will be near impossible to reinstall that heatsink with it in the case. This will end up being a bit harder then I thought.
November 19, 2006 11:34:31 PM

So I pulled off the heatsink. Bottom of the heatsink looks almost completely clean, the top of the processor looks like it did before installation. What?!?!?!? Heatsink was down tightly with included mount. Ill try redoing it then see if anything changes. Wish me luck!
November 20, 2006 12:02:17 AM

How does 36C sound? Seems to be running like it should. Just took off the old thermal compound, reapplied, and reinstalled the heatsink. Everything looks good now. :p 
November 20, 2006 1:18:16 AM

Sounds more like it.
November 20, 2006 2:37:31 AM

Quote:
How does 36C sound? Seems to be running like it should. Just took off the old thermal compound, reapplied, and reinstalled the heatsink. Everything looks good now. :p 

Sounds A LOT better now :0
!