Windows XP - From the other side

G

Point one:
activation is 9 tiered within the system..the reset cracks and such are ineffective in shielding you from surveillance nor from being subject to being prosecuted for a hijacked version with the release version gold code.

Point two:
a listing of over 20,000 separate ips have been logged and marked for later consideration of investigation. as the software is non defeatable in the timeout..its irrelevant that its installed as of now. later they will actively pursue the issue. firewalls and proxies are completely ineffective in resolving this issue as the data is sent from internal registry and configuration settings.

Point three:
the remote deactivation of xp desktops has been field tested, (failed in rc-1) completely effective in rc-2.

Point four:
internal blocking of specific non ms certified (approved) software/drivers has become active in post rc-2 builds. effectively blocking some of the best means for shielding against detection and the transfer of data to the activation and remote logging/control servers. there is truthin that ..no personal info is logged..but your ip and configuration is more than enough to make a states case if they chose to make an example.

Point Five: Microsoft and the SBA/RIAA and other interested concerns are in the process of discussing how this can mutually benefit the industry and ensure a finally workable and 'equitable' control over intellectual property. to wit a price and deployment slash on embedded server platforms to large, mid range and small businesses. All of which would be enabled to the same activation and logging systems on the desktops and even worse..a proliferation of active directory services and extensions that would effectively render pubs not only dangerous but unworkable..

picture this..you log into an ftp pub, it may or may not allow it.let's say you get in. you're logged directly to the server logs and if its active directory enabled to the domain controllers..a flag goes upto the sysop of course..but here's where we get interested..a flag is automatically added to the debugging info automatically transacted to MS or another central location, along with data about the activity and the registrant ip..mask etc..let's go one farther..XP systems transact additioonal info..in their security model that internal guid code is included with authentication..code that cannot be filter by proxy or firewall..that cannot be blocked without blocking the connection itself..and cannot be altered without despoiling its encryption and therefore blowing the authentication routine in the process. the encryption could be faked but would require the ability to dynamically alter it in transit at time of send..that sort of real time capture..remanipulation and insertion would require with proper debugging and 100% tolerance and capacity to recreate valid structures would require roughly 64 P-II 550Mhz symetrical parallel processors to accomplish in realtime

six: along with system id and logging data, it also is primarily tied to the new hailstorm and passport interface systems, which means certain secured services keystrokes and cookie data structures are recorded in the registry and accessible to the registration and online troubleshooting system which send your system data without asking you..without your knowledge and at random interval..basically in a 3-7 hour cycle when it checks for updates...

onto the mechanics.

The Machanics:
WPA: a 9 tiered system for activation and system troubleshooting updates..built into the core kernal structures and registry of the OS itself..Not as a sparate mechanism. The winlogon is only one piece of the puzzle. it is defeatable to some measure..but that leaves the other 8 and possibly more to contend with.

WINLOGON: Has been hacked to little effect by resetting, not bypassing the activation routines.

The SETUP.HIV FIX is ineffective over the long term as it does enable a setup within the activation parameter, but has already been broken by auto updates, which can be neither truly disabled nor circumvented, without a patch issued for each and every fix issued. (an unworkable proposition - might as well make your own OS

THE TROUBLESHOOTER : sends more raw data than i think any person, government or business entity would care to have..true, bypasses privacy issues in that your name and such is left out, but available by override request from the ALEXANDER activation server. but the other raw data is more than enough to 'fingerprint a system and tie it to a physical locale.

WINDOWS UPDATE : I know..we never use it. Now we don't have to.. It's automated with only the real option of turning off notices when it does phone home. Internl structure can be haked but each time the system resets..the reg entry is restored to working order

WPA BATABASE: Stores binary locking info on hardware and registry classes, can be altered to a degree..but would have to have an exact latch and cannot be tampered with in any form whatsoafter afterward..no adding or even detecting hardware..so much for plug and play.

Want to know more..?
Press "scare Me alot" for the next parts

PASSPORT: some of you have hotmail..others..msn accounts..they're used with impunity and without much thought about their extended family of services..

in xp those services are tied and tethered to the OS itself..passport is required and used for primary authenticate into any of ms's online services..the services recognize and preferentially treat xp to enhanced and different interfaces, functions that any other OS ms offers..it also uses the OS for batabase retrieval and storage..fpr security and online transactions..email and support packages and utility..

scaenario one..you get an error dialog on the screen..it logs the error with appropriate system info and relevant information and forwards it directly by secured burt transfer to the development team..but as it goes..its funnelled through the activation server o identify the machine and its ownership in order to one, verify its a valid license and attach a name and contact point back for ms to report fixes or findings.

your name isn't transmitted from your machine, bypassing the issues of 'privacy' to the legal letter. but again its all semantics as the data is collected otherwise..through passport and linked directly to the activation in any case..name address..contact mail, local and credit information..all in the name of e-commerce and ease of use..in a centralized database..linked to other databases and theoretically a well oiled machine to provide the best end user Xperience..I hear that one more time..I'll buy a gun..

looks cool on the surface, even preferable for the novice users and casual online shoppers..but let me ask you..

you like that much accumulated knowledge in any one place under any one persons control?
neither do a few usa senators calling for inquiries into it. we'll see if uncle sam doesn't end up sucking up for a cut of the action..

because they're negotiating to adapt some of the core technology and code for both carnivore and the EU echelon systems. it isn't technically wiretapping if a private company is handling and disseminating the data is it? which leaves the governments hands clean and everyone makes out alright..right? you tell me.

I hear the sounds of an angry mob lynching bill gates at the stake. Bill hasn't been actively mapping their business outline for nearly 4 years. he's laying with toys in research and running his foundation to try to save the world..his mandate to balmer and aichinn..make the money to fund my projects..something they have no problem doing..is he oblivious to it all? no, but he put them in those posts..he has to play on faith they know what they are doing.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Thank you Mr. Gates. I'm so scared I crapped my pants. I promise I won't pirate Windows XP.

Yes, I know the second half of your post was anti-XP (first half was semi-neutral).

I plan on going in on an MSDN subscription with some of my friends. Unlimited personal licenses for Windows, Office, all developer tools, and tech support. All for...well, I won't tell you how much because you'll cry, but it's dirt cheap :)

<font color=blue>Quarter pounder inside</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Change the Sig of the Week!!!</font color=red>

dhlucke

Polypheme
The privacy issue is a serious problem. However, we don't have a choice. I also don't understand how a senator could get involved already. What do they know about this? Who gives them this information? It would be nice if we could use an OS that is standalone. They should offer a version of XP that has no integration with the internet. That way they can't communicate sensitive information.

<font color=red>Change the sig of the week!</font color=red>

mpjesse

Splendid
Nothing can stop those corporate OEM numbers that don't require product activiation. Works great for my pirated Office XP- never even once bothered me about product activation. So, in reality, WPA is a joke.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Even it might be true, but... who cares? me personally and most of my friends is not going to use XP (what for, i can use Win2k box to write a letter, or two, or three... and send it out to myself over the internet as well :?) for at least a year until XP server will come out, and then, me thinks that WPA will be buried in the deep waters of warez, or OEM numbers... that is just MHO.

Post, we'll do the "search"... :wink:

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
*Snoooooooooooooooooooooooze*

Dude, that's one hell of a rant.

:smile: <font color=red>Phear my l<font color=blue>33</font color=blue>t skillz, biznatch!</font color=red> :smile:

Jusphil

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
If microsoft really cared about piracy they would do us ALLLLL a favor and make it on prom.. think about it - an O/S on a ramchip with its own ram swap. they cant fit the kernel on 256 ram? just plug the OS in and boot from prom. im sure microsoft has the influence to "talk" to mobo manufacturers to enable a "boot from prom" option then we can use hard drives for what they were intended for... storage!!! or am i just a dreamer

dhlucke

Polypheme
I think the costs involved there would discourage many. Not only would you have to spend $20 more for a motherboard, but MS will charge you $50 more for the OS.

An OS is software. It's not hardware. Won't be for a while either. What you're talking about is the ultimate monopoly and not even Microsoft has enough money to pay the damages in court for something as extreme as that.

<font color=red>Ever wonder what it would be like to be eaten alive by a Great White shark?</font color=red>