Pocket Outlook TASK issues

February 24, 2005 2:47:05 PM

I am having three issues with TASKS in Pocket Outlook:

1- I cannot sort by any category from the SHOW menu in the TASK application
2- Most times the SHOW menu is non responsive (menaing, I tap the SHOW menu
and get the click sound but nothing happens)
3- I cannot get the task updates to show on the TODAY screen.

I am a heavy task user so theses issues are basically putting my pocket pc
out of commission. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.
February 25, 2005 1:11:03 PM

Here is an addition to the original 3 issues...

4- Most of the time I cannot access/edit the categories field with the TASK
record.

Just thinking out loud, is there a "Start fresh" approach, of backing up the
data, reinstalling the pocket outlook 2003 pro and activesync and getting
this to work again?

"Kane" wrote:

> I am having three issues with TASKS in Pocket Outlook:
>
> 1- I cannot sort by any category from the SHOW menu in the TASK application
> 2- Most times the SHOW menu is non responsive (menaing, I tap the SHOW menu
> and get the click sound but nothing happens)
> 3- I cannot get the task updates to show on the TODAY screen.
>
> I am a heavy task user so theses issues are basically putting my pocket pc
> out of commission. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 9:19:19 PM

"Kane" <Kane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having three issues with TASKS in Pocket Outlook:
>
> 1- I cannot sort by any category from the SHOW menu in the TASK
> application
> 2- Most times the SHOW menu is non responsive (menaing, I tap the SHOW
> menu
> and get the click sound but nothing happens)
> 3- I cannot get the task updates to show on the TODAY screen.
>
> I am a heavy task user so theses issues are basically putting my pocket pc
> out of commission. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Have you tried a soft reset?

HTH,

Flib
Related resources
February 25, 2005 9:19:20 PM

If that is the little recessed button on the lower lefthand side, "yes".
Nothing changed with my issues after the reset.

Is there a resource for troubleshooting this issue?

"Flibble" wrote:

> "Kane" <Kane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having three issues with TASKS in Pocket Outlook:
> >
> > 1- I cannot sort by any category from the SHOW menu in the TASK
> > application
> > 2- Most times the SHOW menu is non responsive (menaing, I tap the SHOW
> > menu
> > and get the click sound but nothing happens)
> > 3- I cannot get the task updates to show on the TODAY screen.
> >
> > I am a heavy task user so theses issues are basically putting my pocket pc
> > out of commission. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.
>
> Have you tried a soft reset?
>
> HTH,
>
> Flib

Anonymous
February 27, 2005 7:27:17 PM

Sounds like you may have to create more memory for tasks to work in.

Do you have a lot of appointments in your calendar or programs that you do
not use but are installed and loaded into the PDA memory?

If so try and delete programs using the remove programs program.

You might want to check how much memory is being used for storage and
programs.

Cliff

"Kane" <Kane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having three issues with TASKS in Pocket Outlook:
>
> 1- I cannot sort by any category from the SHOW menu in the TASK
> application
> 2- Most times the SHOW menu is non responsive (menaing, I tap the SHOW
> menu
> and get the click sound but nothing happens)
> 3- I cannot get the task updates to show on the TODAY screen.
>
> I am a heavy task user so theses issues are basically putting my pocket pc
> out of commission. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

February 28, 2005 10:57:06 AM

I have maintained a full book of appointments for the past year with no
issues. So I am not sure what "a lot" of appointments would be.

I have a 256mb SD card for addtional storage. I am not sure what the proper
balance between storage and programs would be to resolve my issues.

Let me know where I can find that information or how to troubleshoot. Thanks.

"Ciff Fenton" wrote:

> Sounds like you may have to create more memory for tasks to work in.
>
> Do you have a lot of appointments in your calendar or programs that you do
> not use but are installed and loaded into the PDA memory?
>
> If so try and delete programs using the remove programs program.
>
> You might want to check how much memory is being used for storage and
> programs.
>
> Cliff
>
> "Kane" <Kane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am having three issues with TASKS in Pocket Outlook:
> >
> > 1- I cannot sort by any category from the SHOW menu in the TASK
> > application
> > 2- Most times the SHOW menu is non responsive (menaing, I tap the SHOW
> > menu
> > and get the click sound but nothing happens)
> > 3- I cannot get the task updates to show on the TODAY screen.
> >
> > I am a heavy task user so theses issues are basically putting my pocket pc
> > out of commission. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 1:38:17 AM

Go to <START> <SETTINGS> <SYSTEM> <MEMORY> then make storage memory less and
program memory more by using the slide bar (I have the 5450)
Thinking about the soft reset on my iPAQ it is a little recess on the right
underside that needs the stylus pushed in gently to get the reset. (Hope I
am not telling you something you already know :-)).

When you complete your tasks do you tick them off or delete?
If you tick them off they remain in the memory as completed tasks and
contribute to preventing updating or freezing the program.

Cliff

>I have maintained a full book of appointments for the past year with no
> issues. So I am not sure what "a lot" of appointments would be.
>
> I have a 256mb SD card for addtional storage. I am not sure what the
> proper
> balance between storage and programs would be to resolve my issues.
>
> Let me know where I can find that information or how to troubleshoot.
> Thanks.
>

> "Ciff Fenton" wrote:
>
>> Sounds like you may have to create more memory for tasks to work in.
>>
>> Do you have a lot of appointments in your calendar or programs that you
>> do
>> not use but are installed and loaded into the PDA memory?
>>
>> If so try and delete programs using the remove programs program.
>>
>> You might want to check how much memory is being used for storage and
>> programs.
>>
>> Cliff
>>
>> "Kane" <Kane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I am having three issues with TASKS in Pocket Outlook:
>> >
>> > 1- I cannot sort by any category from the SHOW menu in the TASK
>> > application
>> > 2- Most times the SHOW menu is non responsive (menaing, I tap the SHOW
>> > menu
>> > and get the click sound but nothing happens)
>> > 3- I cannot get the task updates to show on the TODAY screen.
>> >
>> > I am a heavy task user so theses issues are basically putting my pocket
>> > pc
>> > out of commission. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

March 2, 2005 12:51:02 PM

I still have the core problem of not being able to "SHOW" categories and EDIT
the category field at the "record level". But here are the answers to your
questions and what I have learned (by experiementation)...

I maintain 119 Task records. I tick them when they are complete. I adjusted
the memory allocation between programs/storage and it did not have any effect
on my problem whatsoever.

Now, I did edit the sync settings for task under the activesync and set it
to sync by category. This resolved my TODAY screen display problems (making
some progress, huh?). I am not sure if I am treating the simptom or finding
the cure, but...

I think I have too many categories on my ppc. My problem still stands that
I cannot select these categories from the SHOW menu, nor edit them at the
record level.

QUESTION: ** How can I remove some or all categories on my ppc? I feel
that shortening this list *might* resolve more of my issues.

"Cliff Fenton" wrote:

> Go to <START> <SETTINGS> <SYSTEM> <MEMORY> then make storage memory less and
> program memory more by using the slide bar (I have the 5450)
> Thinking about the soft reset on my iPAQ it is a little recess on the right
> underside that needs the stylus pushed in gently to get the reset. (Hope I
> am not telling you something you already know :-)).
>
> When you complete your tasks do you tick them off or delete?
> If you tick them off they remain in the memory as completed tasks and
> contribute to preventing updating or freezing the program.
>
> Cliff
>

> "Kane" <Kane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have maintained a full book of appointments for the past year with no
> > issues. So I am not sure what "a lot" of appointments would be.
> >
> > I have a 256mb SD card for addtional storage. I am not sure what the
> > proper
> > balance between storage and programs would be to resolve my issues.
> >
> > Let me know where I can find that information or how to troubleshoot.
> > Thanks.
> >

> > "Ciff Fenton" wrote:
> >
> >> Sounds like you may have to create more memory for tasks to work in.
> >>
> >> Do you have a lot of appointments in your calendar or programs that you
> >> do
> >> not use but are installed and loaded into the PDA memory?
> >>
> >> If so try and delete programs using the remove programs program.
> >>
> >> You might want to check how much memory is being used for storage and
> >> programs.
> >>
> >> Cliff
> >>
> >> "Kane" <Kane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 4:23:58 AM

Have you tried selecting <Sync only past 2 weeks > box and <2 future weeks>
in Activesync on your PC?
This would filter fewer categories and it may be that you have deleted some
of the categories which might explain freezing issues and memory use.

Have you tried going to OUTLOOK and selecting tasks from <OUTLOOK SHORTCUTS>
or the <FOLDER LIST> Then select <VIEW> from the toolbar then <CURRENT VIEW>
then select <BY CATEGORY>?
You should then see all the categories that are used on your iPAQ and PC
including the tasks associated with them. After backing up the tasks in
OUTLOOK run through the categories and see if there are any obsolete ones
that you could delete.

I am hoping these two actions will address your question about reducing your
categories. The first action will not remove catagories just sync 2 weeks
worth which might allow you to go in and edit on your iPAQ. The second will
remove categories if you delete them.

Another thought is to go into Activesync and select <OPTIONS> then the
<RULES> tab. Under conflict resolution what is the selection?
I have mine set at <LEAVE THE ITEM UNRESOLVED> it may be that choosing one
of the other two settings would free up clutter.

Hope this helps :-)

Cliff

>I still have the core problem of not being able to "SHOW" categories and
>EDIT
> the category field at the "record level". But here are the answers to
> your
> questions and what I have learned (by experiementation)...
>
> I maintain 119 Task records. I tick them when they are complete. I
> adjusted
> the memory allocation between programs/storage and it did not have any
> effect
> on my problem whatsoever.
>
> Now, I did edit the sync settings for task under the activesync and set it
> to sync by category. This resolved my TODAY screen display problems
> (making
> some progress, huh?). I am not sure if I am treating the simptom or
> finding
> the cure, but...
>
> I think I have too many categories on my ppc. My problem still stands
> that
> I cannot select these categories from the SHOW menu, nor edit them at the
> record level.
>
> QUESTION: ** How can I remove some or all categories on my ppc? I feel
> that shortening this list *might* resolve more of my issues.
>
> "Cliff Fenton" wrote:
>
>> Go to <START> <SETTINGS> <SYSTEM> <MEMORY> then make storage memory less
>> and
>> program memory more by using the slide bar (I have the 5450)
>> Thinking about the soft reset on my iPAQ it is a little recess on the
>> right
>> underside that needs the stylus pushed in gently to get the reset. (Hope
>> am not telling you something you already know :-)).
>>
>> When you complete your tasks do you tick them off or delete?
>> If you tick them off they remain in the memory as completed tasks and
>> contribute to preventing updating or freezing the program.
>>
>> Cliff
>>

>> "Kane" <Kane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have maintained a full book of appointments for the past year with no
>> > issues. So I am not sure what "a lot" of appointments would be.
>> >
>> > I have a 256mb SD card for addtional storage. I am not sure what the
>> > proper
>> > balance between storage and programs would be to resolve my issues.
>> >
>> > Let me know where I can find that information or how to troubleshoot.
>> > Thanks.

March 3, 2005 4:23:59 AM

My most recent sync config was sync by selected categories, which resolved
the TODAY screen issues. I did change the settings to sync only 2w
past/present with no changes. I have deleted and realigned all the OUTLOOK
2003 desktop task to mirror the pocket outlook task categories. With
reset/re-sync/reset, still no change.

One note, the category list on the ppc is still the original long list (17
categories). My new list for both ppc/outlook 2003 are only 8 categories.

I have tired the activesync rules tab option with no changes as well.
I did not understand the <OUTLOOK SHORTCUTS> options under Outlook 2003.

Maybe this is the remedy. Thanks.

"Cliff Fenton" wrote:

> [...]
> > I cannot select these categories from the SHOW menu, nor edit them at the
> > record level.
> >
> > QUESTION: ** How can I remove some or all categories on my ppc? I feel
> > that shortening this list *might* resolve more of my issues.
> >
> > "Cliff Fenton" wrote:
> >
> >> Go to <START> <SETTINGS> <SYSTEM> <MEMORY> then make storage memory less
> >> and
> >> program memory more by using the slide bar (I have the 5450)
> >> Thinking about the soft reset on my iPAQ it is a little recess on the
> >> right
> >> underside that needs the stylus pushed in gently to get the reset. (Hope
> >> am not telling you something you already know :-)).
> >>
> >> When you complete your tasks do you tick them off or delete?
> >> If you tick them off they remain in the memory as completed tasks and
> >> contribute to preventing updating or freezing the program.

March 3, 2005 9:03:05 AM

In my last reply, I was not sure if I was clear. On the Task SHOW menu,
there are more than 17 different categories. When you edit the categories
field on the record there are only 8 (which is the same as my desktop outlook
categories).

So, I still think if I can remove categories from the SHOW menu, it might
resolve the problem.

!