Your question

I've heard of eVGA having some kind of upgrade program

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • EVGA
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
November 20, 2006 12:44:51 AM

I've attempted to research it, but to no avail. Anyone have experience with it? How does it work?

This will determine whether I buy an 8800 GTS now, or buy a 7950GT and wait to upgrade...

Thanks

More about : heard evga kind upgrade program

November 20, 2006 2:38:13 AM

It's called the Step-Up program. How it works is you are protected for the first 90 days from the date of purchase of your video card. When you buy your videocard you have to register it with eVGA to be elgible for the 90 day Step-Up program . If you don't register with eVGA then you will lose the Step-Up program. Within that 90 days if a newer video card should be released from nVidia, you will be able to trade in your old card for the new card minus the actual retail price you paid for your old card.

Example:

I buy a Geforce 8800 GTX for $659
Less than 90 days later the Geforce 8900 GTX comes out for $899
This qualifies you to trade your 8800GTX for the 8900GTX minus the original price

$899-$659=$240

So you pay the difference of the two video cards. Trade in your old card and pay $240 for the upgrade. The Step-Up program can only be used ONCE on a retail purchase of a video card. You have to buy your original card at FULL RETAIL price and it can not be purchased through auction sites like eBay or Amazon.com and can not be second hand video card. Basically you have to buy it brand new. If eVGA doesn't have the video card you want to trade it in for you will be put in a queue line to get your card when it is available. As long as you do the trade in within your 90 day Step-Up program you will receive your new card when it becomes available. Remember the Step-Up program is only available to you for each brand new retail eVGA video card you bought. Also make sure you keep all your drivers cd's, manuals, books, cables in mint condition and all the packaging that came with your eVGA card. They want the trade in to be in mint condition as possible. If you are missing anything then you won't be able to trade your old card in.

Don't think your upgrade path will be like this:

8800GTS-->in 90 days to 8800GTX or
8800GTS-->8800GTX-->8900GTX

Only like this
8800GTS within 90 days --->8900GTS or GTX
8800GTX within 90 days --->8900GTS or GTX
7950GX2 within 90 days --->8800 GTS/GTX

Upgrades are only one time. All this Step-Up program is, is a marketing ploy to get you to buy their products. Not to say that their products are bad but it gives you an incentive to make you want to buy their brand more than anyone elses brand and have some type of technology insurance available to you at no cost. The concept is from the date of purchase and 90 days if something better should come out within those 90 days then you can use the Step-Up. Otherwise if nothing is released then your Step-Up expires and that's the end of that. Like I said, it's all marketing and you have to read the fine print to understand it. Hope this answers your question.
Related resources
November 20, 2006 6:02:33 PM

he is right on i got a 7950 gx2 2 months ago knowing the g80 was coming out. i just sent my 7950 gx2 in today will be receiving the 8800 gtx next week. total paid for 7950 gx2 499-total paid for the 8800 gtx is 160 (original 650) including shipping to my door :) .
November 20, 2006 11:11:42 PM

If eVGA has this offer, why does anyone buy graphics cards anywhere else?
November 20, 2006 11:18:02 PM

Sometimes price is a factor, or sometimes (but usually not) clock and memory speeds are too.

Or you could fancy XFX's Double Lifetime warranty, or maybe you don't know about eVGA's Step Up program.
November 20, 2006 11:32:25 PM

Quote:
Sometimes price is a factor, or sometimes (but usually not) clock and memory speeds are too.

Or you could fancy XFX's Double Lifetime warranty, or maybe you don't know about eVGA's Step Up program.

Well, is it true that u can just give them back any card that u bought 90 days earlier and buy any other card on the market?
Its like a rental, but with the ability to actually keep it.
November 20, 2006 11:50:55 PM

Quote:

evga has a lifetime warranty and they claim that they dont care if damage was done to overclocking or not. dont know what a double lifetime warranty is though.
November 21, 2006 12:03:36 AM

Quote:

I buy eVGA across the board if I'm going w/ nVidia at the time... Step-Up freaking rocks.
November 21, 2006 12:04:43 AM

A double Lifetime means the warranty will carry over when you sell the card to someone so a buyer would be more willing to buy the card as it would still be under warranty.

As for the step up, not everyone needs a new video card in 90 days, especially since launch dates are typically spaced out at least 6 months apart. There are plenty of people out there still running 6000 series cards on smaller monitors because they still run fine with lower details. And you're required to pay full retail for the card, so it may be cheaper in some cases to get the card through other methods.

It's a great program if you actively plan to use it, but some people keep their video card for more than a year (which will nullify the step up) and only upgrade when some game they want to play comes out that requires more power.
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2006 10:39:05 AM

Quote:
he is right on i got a 7950 gx2 2 months ago knowing the g80 was coming out. i just sent my 7950 gx2 in today will be receiving the 8800 gtx next week. total paid for 7950 gx2 499-total paid for the 8800 gtx is 160 (original 650) including shipping to my door :) .

Considering nobody has the eVGA 8800GTX for retail price, that worked out well for you. Do you still get Dark Messiah like the eVGA retail boxes?
November 21, 2006 12:12:18 PM

Quote:

Considering nobody has the eVGA 8800GTX for retail price, that worked out well for you. Do you still get Dark Messiah like the eVGA retail boxes?

yup it is a retail replacement with dark messiah for free im cant wait to try it out.
November 21, 2006 1:12:05 PM

Quote:

Wow, you guys all buy this stuff huh? Why not just keep your old card and wait a year or two and spend $240 more and have a WAY better card? Step up program sucks. You're willing to pawn off a near top of the line card when you could just save all the trouble, find it cheaper somewhere originally, and then use that "step up" difference towards a better card in the future. That's where they get you...you're upgrading to a card that is newer but not ALL that much better, THEY make money because you're paying all the overhead of a new card. It's no different than people wasting money who think they always have to have "the latest" when what they have is all they really need. I have two socket 939 computers, and I'm not upgrading to Conroe. By the time I do, the sockets will have changed at least two or three more times, and you'll have spent $10,000+ trying to keep up. Either you'll be broke or could have used the money as downpayment on a house and be out of that crappy apartment. I guess I just don't see the logic in spending $240 to "step up" when $240 will buy you whole new video card that today's games haven't fully used the potential of yet. 2 good video cards > the best one. Usually. Now in the case of SLI vs Top of the line? Well, we've seen some significant jumps in graphics lately. Competition has been really fierce lately.
November 21, 2006 2:01:38 PM

I haven't done it since I haven't bought a graphics card to upgrade in less then 90 days, but they will give you credit toward the new one for returning the old one to them. Called Step-up, you have to register the card though within 14days of purchase to have it eligible.
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2006 2:22:21 PM

It's the EVGA Step Up program and is mostly a marketing gimmick to get you to plunk down more cash on EVGA products. I have not used the program but the Step Up program and EVGA's warranty are the reason I bought gpu to begin with.

Think of it this way, if you're tight on cash or on the fence about whether getting a 8800GTS or GTX is worth the money, you snag a 7900GT or something like it and have 90 days to determine if it meets your gaming needs. If it does, great! But, if it doesn't, you can trade up to the 8800GTS or GTX and get the performance you want. But most importantly, you can trade up without the hassle of having to buy a new card at full retail price and without having to sell your old card at a cut rate! From that perspective, the Step Up program is great and worth it alone to buy and EVGA card.

EVGA's warranty is by far the best, you can RMA the card even of you trash it overclocking and even if you use an aftermarket gpu cooler. A few other card makers *cough*BFG*cough*XFX*cough* will not repair a card if oc'd or if it used an aftermarket cooler. Be sure to read the fine print and warranty info.

Good luck!
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2006 2:26:24 PM

Quote:
Step up program sucks. You're willing to pawn off a near top of the line card when you could just save all the trouble, find it cheaper somewhere originally, and then use that "step up" difference towards a better card in the future. That's where they get you...you're upgrading to a card that is newer but not ALL that much better, THEY make money because you're paying all the overhead of a new card.

The step up program is worth it, especially now that DX10 cards are starting to hit the market...you snag a cheaper DX9 card and in 90 days or so you can upgrade to a faster DX10 card at minimal cost...
November 21, 2006 2:40:55 PM

Yes, the Step Up program is very good in certain circumstances, but can be bad in others. If someone is looking to upgrade considerably then great, but to jump up slightly it won't help much. You only have 90 days as well, it's not like the 8900 will be out within 90 days.......the refresh will be longer.

So if someone's already dropped some good coin on an overpriced 7900GTX, then a Step-Up to an 8800GTS can be a GREAT DEAL. Stepping up from a 7900 GTO, however, isn't as good a deal because you're paying more to upgrade for a card that's virtually the same performance as a 7900 GTX. It depends on the card someone's purchased. Going from a 7600GT for $130 to a 8800 GTX won't make much difference for savings, it's a huge investment regardless. However, if someone bought a 7600 as a stop-gap solution for a new build they just did, then the Step-Up would make sense.

It entirely depends on the card purchased, the price someone paid, and what they want to step-up to. For some it can be a great deal, for others it may be a waste.

Either way, OP: make sure you balance the pros/cons and cost for your situation! Can you wait for 8800 prices to drop in a few months? Will a current card last? Can you resell that current card for a decent profit?
November 21, 2006 3:19:59 PM

Quote:
Step up program sucks. You're willing to pawn off a near top of the line card when you could just save all the trouble, find it cheaper somewhere originally, and then use that "step up" difference towards a better card in the future. That's where they get you...you're upgrading to a card that is newer but not ALL that much better, THEY make money because you're paying all the overhead of a new card.

The step up program is worth it, especially now that DX10 cards are starting to hit the market...you snag a cheaper DX9 card and in 90 days or so you can upgrade to a faster DX10 card at minimal cost...

DX10 is kinda xtra special though. :-P That's why I said that lately it's probably a better deal.
November 21, 2006 3:27:29 PM

You sound a little jealous or bitter.

I personally upgrade because I can and that one the places I choose to spend my money. That is what I work hard for.

Beautiful woman check
Nice fast car check
Nice house check
Fast PC check
November 22, 2006 1:14:21 AM

Uhh...?
November 22, 2006 11:34:16 PM

Upgrade program sucks, stupid Americans and Europeans.. only i cant have it. :x But thats ok, i cant afford it here anyway.
November 22, 2006 11:47:55 PM

Quote:
stupid Americans and Europeans..

At least our Country has running water for most of it's inhabitants :lol: 
November 23, 2006 1:48:03 AM

Many of the amenities we have here, are at the expense of others in the world. To say that is to add insult to injury. May I suggest a trip to a small island off the coast of Florida? Hispanola houses two countries, the Dominican Republic and Haiti. Haitians are starving because of our government's noble help in overthrowing their harsh dictator. Economy > bad leaders. As it is here in the United States. Our people will tolerate corporate control of our government, as long as a fair amount of wealth is generated for that government's citizens. We're one of the richest countries in the world, yet our education is slipping, we are heavily over-taxed, many can't afford medical care, and so many are on welfare...this country has problems and it's a matter of time before we end up like the Soviet Union. Broke. I'm not sure how running water is something to hold in high esteem for ourselves. It is not a sign of nobility or worth. However, your comment shows a lack of respect for humankind, and an ignorance of your spoilage and the true nature of your world.
November 23, 2006 3:49:56 AM

Ryan, people from the US say crap like that all the friggin' time. Best to just learn to live with it :D .
November 23, 2006 4:52:44 AM

There should be a new category in these forums called "International Politics or random tech-unrelated verbal diarhea that we all really, really want to read".

Cheers
November 23, 2006 11:03:13 AM

Quote:
Ryan, people from the US say crap like that all the friggin' time. Best to just learn to live with it :D .

I'm usually bashing Americans...and I live here. Are you're saying that American's are full of it and nobody else is? Or are you saying that many Americans take little pride in their government and how igorant we behave?
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2006 11:53:06 AM

Yeah, blame it on the American's because one replied in humor. No comments on Track starting the whole thing saying "Stupid Americans and Europeans". :roll: