screen resolution different for one user account?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I have one administrator account and several limited user acoounts. All
users have screen res of 1024 x 768 at 85hz. All work, except my
administrator account. When I log in it starts up at the correct res, then
goes blank for a second, then to the lowest res without me touching anything.
I have set my nvidia res at 1024, I have set steam game launch for half life
2 at 1024. I reset display in control panel, I log out after changes, restart
the pc and go in again and the same thing happens? I have up to date mcafee
virus protection and regularly clean out spyware and adware. Any idea whats
resetting my res in this one account?
thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about screen resolution user account
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    mcwhirter <mcwhirter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have one administrator account and several limited user acoounts. All
    >users have screen res of 1024 x 768 at 85hz. All work, except my
    >administrator account. When I log in it starts up at the correct res, then
    >goes blank for a second, then to the lowest res without me touching anything.

    I would reinstall the video drivers from this account. This may be
    caused by some problem with loading the drivers.

    --
    (tm)
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Do you mean the nvidia drivers? I am not sure how to do this for just one
    users account. Aren't the drivers shared across all accounts? So do I
    uninstall and then re-install for everyone or is there a "repair" option
    usually?

    thanks

    "Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

    > mcwhirter <mcwhirter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I have one administrator account and several limited user acoounts. All
    > >users have screen res of 1024 x 768 at 85hz. All work, except my
    > >administrator account. When I log in it starts up at the correct res, then
    > >goes blank for a second, then to the lowest res without me touching anything.
    >
    > I would reinstall the video drivers from this account. This may be
    > caused by some problem with loading the drivers.
    >
    > --
    > (tm)
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    mcwhirter <mcwhirter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Do you mean the nvidia drivers? I am not sure how to do this for just one
    >users account. Aren't the drivers shared across all accounts? So do I
    >uninstall and then re-install for everyone or is there a "repair" option
    >usually?

    One possibility: remove the video card from the Device Manager and
    then restart Windows. The drivers will be reinstalled when Windows
    starts again.
    If you installed the drivers manually from a CD, re-run Setup to
    repair the driver installation.

    --
    (tm)
Ask a new question

Read More

Screen Resolution Windows XP