theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
Ok who is the guy that comes up with the recent email campaign for top 500 users???

it's a freaking ad that gives you:

$5.00 for orders $25 or more.
$10.00 for orders $40 or more.

discount at a store that not many of us uses, if it was newegg then i would at least say oh it's a tech site and us-centric, but noooo it's some random vanity shop to t-shirts......

and it says I'm getting this because i'm among the top 500 people active on the site????

wtf is this, this is advertisement, not a reward for being on here, period.

if you want to have rewards, give us free t-shirts off that site, or give us good discounts off the egg or something as that is at least wholly tech related and not useless junk that we can't use to get more performance.

if this was a targeted advertising campaign, then it has missed it's marks by a mile and if it was meant as a reward for being in the top 500 active posters in THG forums, then wtf, can I opt out of these things until they get their acts together and offer real benefits (how about a ad free site of toms and the forums? with NO full site advertisements that adblockers have issues with?)

who comes up with this? while I do think that there is some sort of genuine thought behind it because of the fact that it comes from a editor and a well known one at that, but I question the motive of such an act.

I don't know anyone whom would want to spend money to save money on useless things that is completely unrelated to the area where they would purchase from.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
I mean look at some of the other stuff other sites ran that is specially for members (dedicated or not), and they offers some sort of tangible reward, from free mid end gfx to other free items, at least they were free and not like this, advertisement oriented.

G

Being based in UK, why would I use a US mail order store ? Even if the stuff was of interest, it would be expensive with delivery and customs costs added.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
True... 500 ppl seems to be a bit low

but is it real tho? since I'm not THAT active here, how would one check this and not just like some sort of email redirect that basically says your top 500 just to make you feel good and get the wallet out?

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
hmm Monthly rank (March): 3172 out of 350075 (70 points)

Global rank: 132 out of 350076 (4683 points)

how do they calculated this and 1 less ppl???

jeeze shouldn't active mean on this month or maybe past 6 months?

by that standard i would not be any where near the top 500 since I stopped helping when i realized that most of it is the same ***, and we can't just say RTFM and point to a sticky and close the thread or vote close the thread.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Do you really think "Top 500" means anything? They just list that with everyone. How sad. Advertising half truths are bad enough - but a site that uses bold face lies is pathetic.

G

I just got an email from Culver City saying that I'm taking this too seriously.

I thought the thing was meant to be an incentive - it's just marketing.

Best Of seem quite inspired when it comes to annoying the regulars.

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
I regularly look through ThinkGeek for fun gadgets and neat toys, and we thought it'd be a fun little idea to spread around to just our top 500 users.

It's not an ad. It's something we thought of doing simply for fun. I figured a lot of people are into fun little toys like what ThinkGeek offers. It's not something meant to be serious. If you like anything that they sell, feel free to use the promo code I emailed.

If not, just pass on it.

We don't spam people, and so I even used and included my real information in the email I sent out as an indication of such.

@theholylancer: Why are you so negative about it? Making all these assumptions that I'm trying to pick pocket your wallet for money, throw advertising your way or some other outrageous thing?

Tom's Hardware gets nothing out of spamming people with an ad. Which is why I had ThinkGeek customize a promo code just for us. We don't get a cut of any sale they sell.

People so often assume that just because we publish something, or offer something, that there must be some sort of hidden deal or cut that we get from doing it. We don't. If it's an ad, we point it out as an ad. If not, then it's not. See the content on our site that's labeled "Advertisement"? We're not trying to use slight of hand to trick you into giving us money.

Honestly, I just thought it was a cool thing to give away.
Sorry you took such a big offense to it.
All we wanted to do was offer a little something to say thanks...

/ Tuan

Tuan Nguyen
Director, News Operations
tuannguyen@bestofmedia.com