AMD AthlonXP 2000+ starter OC project

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
Hi, I need a few bits (well actually bytes) of data.

I have:
AthlonXP 2000+ (palomino, 1667MHz)
Epox EP-8RDA+ (nForce2, recapped)
2x128MB DDR400 modules (pristine)
AGP8x GF5200 128MB (abused but still works fine)

Question marks on CPU:
How did the palomino compare to the TBredA and/or TBredB for OCing?
Will I be able to (on that system) clock the sucker to model number and beyond?
Or would I be better advised to junk the CPU and hunt for a decent Barton?

This is my first serious attempt at OCing (I'm ignoring a 166MMX clocked at 183, and a K6-2 333 clocked at 415, since both were done only on FSB), so I would prefer to avoid any/all cockups at the planning stage...

chocobocorey

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Hi, I need a few bits (well actually bytes) of data.

How did the palomino compare to the TBredA and/or TBredB for OCing?
Will I be able to (on that system) clock the sucker to model number and beyond?
Or would I be better advised to junk the CPU and hunt for a decent Barton?

well the palomino was replaced by thoroughbred cores cause the palomino ran too hot. so that should give you an idea of where it stands. the barton is a good core.. but the price for them is pretty high, especially when you can get a a64 for 50 - 60 or cheaper.

youll almost defintely need a good aftermarkte cooler to get much past stock speeds or your gonna fry that thing. the limit of the .18 palominos was right about the 2100+level anyways.

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
feathers, fur and fluff!

2100+ is about where the thing is right now (140*12.5) and running stable at about 38 deg. idle, going up to about 55 deg. under load.

damn.

I have a second 2000+ available, not sure what it is. Brown substrate (as the palomino) only has a rectangular core (not square) and the tiny caps around the core.

EDIT: 2nd 2000+ starts, and BSODs on startup regardless of what settings I set it to. Suspect it's a TBred B, also suspect it's stuffed.

TRENDING THREADS