Windows asking for Login Password when I never set one!

Help!

I recently installed windows XP service pack 2 from an update CD they mailed
to me, but it caused the performance of the laptop to slow in a big way so I
uninstalled it.

I did this successfully, but when I rebooted the machine, its now asking me
for a login password!! I never ever set one of these so I have no way now of
getting into my desktop. I have really important stuff on it that I hadnt yet
backed up and Im very very worried.

I cant boot into safe mode either .. same problem. It asks for the password
to my profile (The only one set on the machine) or the admin password. Ive
never set either! Ive had the laptop for 2 years.

I'll be so grateful for any help...
Thanks a lot.
1 answer Last reply
More about windows login password

    Use your TAB key and tab the cursor through the password
    request box, then hit enter.

    You can use the following steps to enable automatic logon:

    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type: control userpasswords2 , and then click OK.
    3. In the dialog box that appears, clear the "Users must enter a user name
    and password to use this computer" check box, and then click OK.

    How to Enable Automatic Logon in Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315231&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "RD" wrote:

    | Help!
    |
    | I recently installed windows XP service pack 2 from an update CD they mailed
    | to me, but it caused the performance of the laptop to slow in a big way so I
    | uninstalled it.
    |
    | I did this successfully, but when I rebooted the machine, its now asking me
    | for a login password!! I never ever set one of these so I have no way now of
    | getting into my desktop. I have really important stuff on it that I hadnt yet
    | backed up and Im very very worried.
    |
    | I cant boot into safe mode either .. same problem. It asks for the password
    | to my profile (The only one set on the machine) or the admin password. Ive
    | never set either! Ive had the laptop for 2 years.
    |
    | I'll be so grateful for any help...
    | Thanks a lot.

Set-One Windows XP