Can someone please improve on wusy's o/c guide.

cuppachar

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I've read the guide Wusy wrote, printed it off but some of the settings he talks about need more explaining. For instance " Set DRAM/DIMM Voltage (vDIMM) to 2.1V or 2.2V if specified by RAM (+0.3V or +0.4V)". What's that all about?
How do I disable C1e?
"When 1FSB:1RAM is overclocked above the rated frequency of your RAM use the following values
Timing: 5-5-5-15
vDIMM: 2.2V". What's going on there?

It seems to me that everyone is saying what a fantastic guide this is but to someone slightly newer to overclocking, it's more like a flat pack kitchen unit instruction leaflet.

Anyone? I have an Asus Pw5 dh deluxe and 6600 cpu and 2 gig of Corsair ddr2, 4-4-4-12.

Arrowyx

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
I've read the guide Wusy wrote, printed it off but some of the settings he talks about need more explaining. For instance " Set DRAM/DIMM Voltage (vDIMM) to 2.1V or 2.2V if specified by RAM (+0.3V or +0.4V)". What's that all about?
How do I disable C1e?
"When 1FSB:1RAM is overclocked above the rated frequency of your RAM use the following values

It seems to me that everyone is saying what a fantastic guide this is but to someone slightly newer to overclocking, it's more like a flat pack kitchen unit instruction leaflet.

Anyone? I have an Asus Pw5 dh deluxe and 6600 cpu and 2 gig of Corsair ddr2, 4-4-4-12.
vDIMM is the voltage of the RAM. Set this to the level specified on your RAM's packaging.

vDIMM: 2.2V".

What this means is that when you are running the RAM syncronous to the FSB you need to relax the timings and increase the voltage it gets if the RAM is running faster than designed to. DDR2-667 is designed to run at a FSB speed of 333MHz, DDR2-800 to run at 400MHz. So if you're using DDR2-800 RAM and your FSB is set to anything about 400MHz you need to relax its timings and give it more voltage.

All this is trying to reduce as many bottlenecks in the system as possible. Your RAM may be capable of holding its timings at over its rated speed but by relaxing the timings you are trying to assure yourself that any stability issues you might have aren't from the RAM

How do I disable C1e?

C1e, should be a menu item in your Bios, also might be known at eist, set it to disabled. It controls slow down of the CPU when idle.

With regards to the Ram Voltages, if you want your RAM to work at faster speeds, you may need to increase the voltages, to +0.3 or+0.4v above standard which equals 2.1 or 2.2V

Again if you want your RAM to work at higher speeds you may need to slow down another aspect of the RAM, i.e. make it less responsive by increasing its latency. These are the 5-5-5-15 timings.

Its written for someone who knows their way around a Bios, and understands PC's from an advanced point of view.

I'd suggest that what you really need is primer on advanced PC settings, so that you can understand what all this actually means.

None of the above is particularly difficult to understand, you just need to think about what is being said and how it applies to your Bios.

cuppachar

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Wooohha. Stop right there. Now I'm even more confused. I quoted a couple of lines from Wusy's guide to highlight the fact that this guide is aimed at experienced overclockers. Thanks for trying to clear up any confusion but it just makes things worse....... sorry.
I really need a something to tell me in slightly simpler terms step by step how to overclock. All this stuff about ram divididers, one to one ratio etc is really confusing.
I'm asking alot really and don't really expect anyone to spend their time doing this though it would be nice if they did.
Maybe someone who has the same system as me would post up the details for my particular system as listed below. I know that lots of people on this forum have virtually the same setup as me. here goes.

Asus P5w dh deluxe.
E6600 2.4 dual core.
2 gig corsair xms2 ddr2 800
Asus eax 1950pro 256 graphics card.
Zalman 7500 cpu cooler
620 Enermax liberty psu.

Many thanks for those who can advise.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Wooohha. Stop right there. Now I'm even more confused. I quoted a couple of lines from Wusy's guide to highlight the fact that this guide is aimed at experienced overclockers. All this stuff about ram divididers, one to one ratio etc is really confusing.
I'm asking alot really and don't really expect anyone to spend their time doing this though it would be nice if they did.
Maybe someone who has the same system as me would post up the details for my particular system as listed below. I know lots of people have virtually the same setup as me. here goes.
Asus P5w dh deluxe.

I have exactly the same system as you and was delighted by how close Wusy's guide was to the actual settings on my motherboard. What you seem to want is pictures of the actual Bios setup pages for your motherboard. That's obviously not possible since every board is different and there are even changes in one board's menu as the Bios builds are upgraded.

Learn a little more about Bios settings in general and Wusy's guide will become obvious and easy.

cuppachar

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Well yeah I did think I was asking too much but I do know my way around the bios but All Asus p52 dh deluxe boards are basically the same.
I don't need pictures at all merely a more concise instruction on the settings I need to change. Hey I thought that these forums were here to help people (not being sarcastic by the way).

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Well yeah I did think I was asking too much but I do know my way around the bios but All Asus p52 dh deluxe boards are basically the same.
I don't need pictures at all merely a more concise instruction on the settings I need to change. Hey I thought that these forums were here to help people (not being sarcastic by the way).

Certainly no sarcasm was intended. Substitute eist for Cie and everything is spelled out. Just disable all the extra CPU functions BEFORE trying to change clock settings and voltage.

Settings, as well as being under CPU and chipset, are also in APM.

cuppachar

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
13thmonkey are you taking the P**s? Like I said before I thought these forums were supposed to help people out but with W**nkers like you around I was obiviously very much mistaken. Thanks for the help all you other people but maybe I'll start a new thread asking for benchmarks on overclocked systems and exactly how they achieved it. That may get the response I'm looking for. Thanks again.

bengkiam

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Wooohha. Stop right there. Now I'm even more confused. I quoted a couple of lines from Wusy's guide to highlight the fact that this guide is aimed at experienced overclockers. Thanks for trying to clear up any confusion but it just makes things worse....... sorry.
I really need a something to tell me in slightly simpler terms step by step how to overclock. All this stuff about ram divididers, one to one ratio etc is really confusing.
Maybe someone who has the same system as me would post up the details for my particular system as listed below. I know that lots of people on this forum have virtually the same setup as me. here goes.

Asus P5w dh deluxe.
E6600 2.4 dual core.
Zalman 7500 cpu cooler
620 Enermax liberty psu.

Your HSF is not suggested by wusy, You should read it again carefully.

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
13th Monkey isn't taking the p**s, it really is quite a concise guide if you understand the terms he uses.

If you don't then google them and have a good look through your BIOS so that you become familiar with the names and where to locate them. This is obviously essential, because if you don't understand what you are doing then you shouldn't be doing it, probably why Wusy didn't spend ages explaining everything in minute detail.

Hope everything works out.

13thmonkey are you taking the P**s? Like I said before I thought these forums were supposed to help people out but with W**nkers like you around I was obiviously very much mistaken. Thanks for the help all you other people but maybe I'll start a new thread asking for benchmarks on overclocked systems and exactly how they achieved it. That may get the response I'm looking for. Thanks again.

If you want someone to hold your hand keep looking, with your unwillingness / inability to extrapolate meaning I doubt you'll get very far.

In all seriousness, the main problem that some people have found with that guide is that it is too concise (your word for what you wanted not mine) i.e. it is very dense and assumes some level of knowledge. It does not hand-hold you through what to do.

I'm not entirely sure what I've done to P**s you off, I thought my answer to you first question asking what does 2.1-2.2V (+0.3/+0.4V) meant was kind of simple and helpful. As for the rest of my answer I thought it was fairly helpful.

I do still believe you need an Advanced PC settings primer, so that you understand what is the loose meaning of the advanced settings you are playing with. Then the guide will become more clear.

I forgot to say something.

I didn't get personal. You did.

Learn to learn for yourself, and then ask when you get stuck, like life this doesn't come to you on a plate.

I don't appreciate being called a W****R, even though you very cleverly used *'s to hide the letters.

bengkiam

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
BTW, what is your E6600 batch number? example : L628Bxxx
L mean produced in Malay
6 mean 2006
28 mean week 28
B mean revision B

You should know that each batch have different oc ability. From what I have learned from many forums, it seems newer mean better, and rev. B > rev. A

My 2 cents.

BustedSony

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Wooohha. Stop right there. Now I'm even more confused.Zalman 7500 cpu cooler
620 Enermax liberty psu.

Oh for Christ's sakes let the fellow get the fundamentals of overclocking down first! The 7500 is just fine for a beginning overclock. I'm using an AC 7 Pro, also not "Recommended" by Wusy, and I can get a fine, cool, overclock. It's not the issue yet.

plankmeister

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006

omfg! liek, stfu, teh n00b! roflmao lololol

See... I can Troll, too.

bengkiam

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Wooohha. Stop right there. Now I'm even more confused.Zalman 7500 cpu cooler
620 Enermax liberty psu.

Oh for Christ's sakes let the fellow get the fundamentals of overclocking down first! The 7500 is just fine for a beginning overclock. I'm using an AC 7 Pro, also not "Recommended" by Wusy, and I can get a fine, cool, overclock. It's not the issue yet.

Doh.. I just share some experiences to others. Even my 9500Cu is really hot at 3.4ghz, and I am planning to replace mine with Tuniq 120 or Scythe Infinity. Wusy's wrote that we must keep the cpu temperature as low as possible to extend its life.

I don't want to argue, so please.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
The only reason why those HSF are recommended is because theyre the top performers for air. The AC7Pro was added for its $/performance and Zalmans simply not to be biased.

thing is if your overclocking your either experienced or you shouldnt overclock, the guide if it was for experienced people why would experienced people use a guide?

and this aint for cheap crap systems with cheap crap ram, motherboards, stock cooling etc

ASUS/Gigabyte mobo's etc

Asus P5w dh deluxe.
E6600 2.4 dual core.
Zalman 7500 cpu cooler
620 Enermax liberty psu.

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
But the guide is really quite simple. All you have to do is make the effort to find out about the bits you don't understand, but if you simply can't be arsed, then how much sympathy can you expect? Sweet FA.

GSTe

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006

*** This is the voltage running through your RAM. Look through your bios until you find the value. Your motherboard automatically puts 1.8v through your memory as standard, but to increase its frequency and timings you need more voltage going through it. 2.1v is probably sufficient, but memory modules normally state on a little sticker on the front the voltage you need to put through it to acheive the frequency/timings they say it is capable of.

How do I disable C1e?

**********Look for C1e in your Bios. Press the relevant key as displayed on the right of the screen to change to 'disabled'. (For f***'s sake)

***********Your CPU's clock speed is acheived by multiplying the FSB (front side bus) by a value.... in the case of an E6600 its 266MHZ FSB x 9 = 2.4 GHz. To overclock your processor you will need to raise the FSB. Overclockers think that a 1:1 ratio of FSB speed to memory speed gives best performance (I don't, but there you go). You can set something called the RAM divider so that it is in a 1:1 ratio with your CPUs FSB. Then, when you raise the FSB it keeps it in that ratio. Hence if you raise it to 333MHz it will raise your RAM frequency accordingly. Wusy meant that if this frequency starts to get higher than that which your RAM is supposed to run at, by relaxing the timings to 5-5-5-15 you may be able to increase the frequency further, and therefore acheive a higher overclock.

Get it?

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004

Tried RTFM?