E6700 upgrade question

carlhungis

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
I will be doing an E6700 build sometime in the next few months. I was leaning towards spiffing up my old CPU (P4 3.2, 1GB PC3200, AGP Radeon 9600XT, 80gb and 40gb IDE WD HDD's, crappy old 17" monitor)

Since I am on the old style socket, I was wondering what upgrades I could even do. I can't get a new video card, since that would just be a waste of money. I was wondering about the ram.

Do you think it would be worth it to buy another GB or so of some PC3200, or do you think that would be a waste as well?

I plan on buying the 320GB SATA Barracuda as a definite upgrade and I am thinking about going with a new 20.1" widescreen panel upgrade from Dell.

I figured with a new HDD (since I am pretty much up against a wall with my current HDD's) some more RAM and a new monitor, it would feel like a new Computer.

I am just unsure if it would be worth it or not to buy that RAM.

Thanks in advance for the help.

spawn_eternal

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2006
stating that you will be moving to a core 2 duo based system in a couple of months i would steer clear from buying more ram. it will be money wasted as you will need ddr2 ram when moving over to the e6700. just keep in mind that we might even still see ddr3 being available from q2 next year or onwards. i would have reccomended the lcd if you asked me the question two months ago, but then i saw that HDMI (new type of video/audio high def connection) was made public. this connection will most likely replace DVI. I have even seen manufacturers like asus include this connection on all their new vga cards. this HDMI is supposed to give exceptional quality video/audio transmission. another thing to keep in mind is DX10 next year january with windows vista and all (geforce 8 is out and benchmark results are breathtaking). i would recommend getting a new HDD and maybe suggest working on your pc's cosmetics i.e. new case, logitech g11/g15 gaming keyboard and even a g5 gaming mouse. that already will make you pc seem newer as you mentioned.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Uh... monitors will most likely not use HDMI... since that transmits both audio and video, and no person in their right mind uses monitor speakers... HDCP is important however.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

My question is, if you're buying a new comp, why even bother with your old one? It's probably fine for whatever purpose you're using it for right? 1 Gig is also a decent amount of RAM as long as your not planning to use Vista on that comp.

And for your future build, I'd go with a e6600 instead of a e6700. A lot better bargain for the price, and you don't lose much processing power.

carlhungis

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
I am going with the 6700 because it is free from work. No choice in the matter really.

And PC3200 is DDR2 ram, so I don't think that I would really be wasting money on that, since it could be used in my next build as well..... I hope.

What I am trying to do is to lessen the sting of doing a full blown upgrade all at once. I am hoping that 2GB of PC3200 would last me at least another year (given that it would be compatable with a C2D MoBo). With new RAM, new Monitor, and a new HDD, I would get the new computer feel without the sting of a 250 dollar video card and a 200 dollar mother board. It would feel new but still give me time to put more money aside to finish the build at another time.

(And, the plan with the next build would be to go with Vista eventually)

shadymnms

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2006
and what kind of motherboard do you have now? C2D just came out, it really cant be compatable with them because you just stated that this system is kinda old, forget the ram for now and get a good mobo trust me you wont regret it later...(unless of course you TRULY dont need it)

btw: i dont believe i ever heard of PC3200 being DDR2...

Since its inception:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR_SDRAM
Stick/module specification

* PC-1600: DDR-SDRAM memory module specified to operate at 100 MHz using DDR-200 chips, 1.600 GByte/s bandwidth
* PC-2100: DDR-SDRAM memory module specified to operate at 133 MHz using DDR-266 chips, 2.133 GByte/s bandwidth
* PC-2700: DDR-SDRAM memory module specified to operate at 166 MHz using DDR-333 chips, 2.667 GByte/s bandwidth
* PC-3200: DDR-SDRAM memory module specified to operate at 200 MHz using DDR-400 chips, 3.200 GByte/s bandwidth

Note: All RAM speeds in-between or above these listed specifications are not standardized by JEDEC — most often they are simply manufacturer optimizations using higher-tolerance or overvolted chips.

bridonca

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
You motherboard will likely not work on the new core2duo CPU's. But if you want to keep your memory and video card, you should look at this $57 motherboard. It does both DDR2 and DDR memory, AGP and PCIe so you got tons of upgrade options when you are done licking your wounds on the E6700 purchase! :)

ASRock 775Dual-VSTA Socket T (LGA 775) VIA PT880 PRO ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $56.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157092

I will be doing an E6700 build sometime in the next few months. I was leaning towards spiffing up my old CPU (P4 3.2, 1GB PC3200, AGP Radeon 9600XT, 80gb and 40gb IDE WD HDD's, crappy old 17" monitor)

Since I am on the old style socket, I was wondering what upgrades I could even do. I can't get a new video card, since that would just be a waste of money. I was wondering about the ram.

Do you think it would be worth it to buy another GB or so of some PC3200, or do you think that would be a waste as well?

I plan on buying the 320GB SATA Barracuda as a definite upgrade and I am thinking about going with a new 20.1" widescreen panel upgrade from Dell.

I figured with a new HDD (since I am pretty much up against a wall with my current HDD's) some more RAM and a new monitor, it would feel like a new Computer.

I am just unsure if it would be worth it or not to buy that RAM.

Thanks in advance for the help.

NotAPimecone

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Although I did actually do some looking around and find some PC3200 DDR2, I don't see "DDR2" anywhere in your wikipedia quote...

And if what he's got is 184-pin DDR and not 240-pin DDR2, it won't work in most of the new conroe-capable boards (obviously there are some exceptions like the ASRock bridonca mentioned)

CNeufeld

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Since its inception:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR_SDRAM
Stick/module specification

* PC-1600: DDR-SDRAM memory module specified to operate at 100 MHz using DDR-200 chips, 1.600 GByte/s bandwidth
* PC-2100: DDR-SDRAM memory module specified to operate at 133 MHz using DDR-266 chips, 2.133 GByte/s bandwidth
* PC-2700: DDR-SDRAM memory module specified to operate at 166 MHz using DDR-333 chips, 2.667 GByte/s bandwidth
* PC-3200: DDR-SDRAM memory module specified to operate at 200 MHz using DDR-400 chips, 3.200 GByte/s bandwidth

Note: All RAM speeds in-between or above these listed specifications are not standardized by JEDEC — most often they are simply manufacturer optimizations using higher-tolerance or overvolted chips.

AFAIK, there's DDR2-PC3200 memory, and there's DDR-PC3200 ( Wikipedia DDR2 entry) memory. They're not the same, and won't plug into the same slots.

To the OP, I wouldn't bother with that memory, even if it is DDR2 memory. It's the absolute slowest DDR2 memory that's available, which won't go well with a E6700 processor. Unless you can justify buying the 1GB of memory on it's own...

Clint

Clint

carlhungis

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
You motherboard will likely not work on the new core2duo CPU's. But if you want to keep your memory and video card, you should look at this $57 motherboard. It does both DDR2 and DDR memory, AGP and PCIe so you got tons of upgrade options when you are done licking your wounds on the E6700 purchase! :)

ASRock 775Dual-VSTA Socket T (LGA 775) VIA PT880 PRO ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail $56.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157092

I know that my old mobo won't work with the new C2D. I am running an ASUS P4P800 SE. And, upon further review it looks like I am running the DDR version of the PC3200, not the DDR2.

Looking at the motherboard that you linked, it looks like a good option. I didn't even know that I could do that. Thanks.

It does bring up another question though, since it is SATA 1.5GB/s, does that mean that it will not run a 3.0 SATA or does it just throttle a 3.0 SATA down to 1.5?

Thank you to everyone who has responded.

BTW here is a link showing DDR2 PC3200

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&type=&Description=DDR2+400&Submit=ENE&N=0&Ntk=all

carlhungis

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Sure. That ASRock board sounds like it is pretty good feature wise. But if the one you mention is better, I would certainly consider it.

Thanks

carlhungis

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Looks like both get similar reviews on Newegg. Both are similarly priced as well. Right now the ASRock is in the lead because it still uses a 20pin power supply, so I won't have to upgrade that either.

Thanks for digging that up.

I realize that this may not be the forum to ask, but since the topic is already started.... What do you think would be the best way to do the upgrade?

Just start from scratch, do a fresh XP install on a brand new HDD? Or do you think it would be better to format the new HDD on my existing system before plugging it into the new board and start post format? I haven't done an upgrade in a few years, so I am a bit rusty. Not to mention the fact that I am not 100% familiar with SATA drives.

(I do live near a fry's but they typically can't come close to Newegg's prices and since I don't have to pay for the processor the combo deal isn't really needed)

carlhungis

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Thanks. The only concern that I have is that some of the reviews make it sound like you need to add SATA drivers before you install windows on the ASRock. And to do so, I am pretty sure that you need to use a floppy disk. So, I am concerned that may be a problem. I honestly don't even know if my floppy drive even works, but I am thinking that it doesn't.

carlhungis

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
"This is a fantastic board for the money. It has a lot of nice features, and extras. Yes you do have to load the SATA/RAID Driver when installing XP/2000, that's a given reguardless of the board. That is just common sence!"

"Remember if you are using SATA to hit F6 and load your drivers when installing XP"

"Cons: SATA driver for this mobo not supported with WinXP SP2, need to provide floppy in order to install XP on a SATA hard disk."

All from the user reviews on newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustRatingReview.asp?DEPA=0&Type=&Item=N82E16813157092&SortField=0&SummaryType=ALL&Pagesize=100&Page=

carlhungis

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
I just read through the comments again and it looks like the default setting in the BIOS is for RAID. That is why there are errors with booting on a SATA drive. It sounds like it works fine if you turn off the RAID before you install the OS.