What's a better cooler than the AC64pro?

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I was considering an AC Freezer 64 Pro, but I'm not so sure if it will be capable of getting me the kind of overclocks I want. Anyway, it can't hurt to have something better....so what is better than the AC Freezer 64?

I'd prefer that it be on newegg.com and cost less than $50. Any suggestions? I don't care about pointless shitty LED's.

Oh, and this is for socket AM2.

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Alright, I'll get it. It looks cool and monstrous. The way the fan goes in the heatsink is awesome too. I'll be buying it around Christmas, or is there something better for about this price?

The specs don't state whether this cooler supports socket AM2. Does it? And does anyone know what paste it comes with?

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
It's compatible with AM2, but you need a Zalman ZM-OC1 clip. It might not be the easiest install (e.g. you might not want to attempt it if it's your 1st time) but it doesn't look incredibly hard. See this FAQ on Tuniq's website:
http://www.tuniq.com.tw/Support/faq/faq03.htm

It comes with Tuniq TX1 Thermal Grease.

If you need expert advice on this, PM rwaritsdario. He seems to be the expert around here on the Tuniq Tower 120 (he knows a lot about air cooling in general).

By the way, you probably want to make sure your case has enough room. What case are you putting this in to?

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
It doesn't really matter, since I don't mind keeping the side panel off and I probably will. But anyway, I'm getting a Rosewill Mid-tower. (Its basically a cheap Thermaltake Tsunami Dream that doesn't look as good, I own a Tsunami Dream, and the pictures are identical, same harddrive cage, same parts etc)

As for the clip thingy, could the stock stuff be be modified to work? Here's the stuff that comes with it: http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/35-154-001-05.jpg

Should I get this cooler or is there something better or almost as good with AM2 support?

How would the Thermaltake Big Typhoon compare to the Freezer 64 Pro?

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I dont think you can modify the stock accesories since the s939 is quite different from AM2.
Luckily for you, the Scythe Inifinity just dropped $15, making it perfect for your budget and needs since its just below the Tuniq and performs very few degrees below it. This is the cooler I was going for before the T-120 came back in stock.
One of the migthy advantages of the BT is that you can attach a 38mm thick fan on it without much hassle (making your own wire frames in the case of cooler such as Scythe Ninja and Inifinty, and sadly impossible for the Tuniq). But only the 92mm version of it is compatible with AM2 out of the box.

Sumbean should have taken advantage of the Tower 120 being out of stock to include a AM2 bracket with it...

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Yeah, but it will eventually come with it, the website says "AM2 support: Coming soon." I'll buy one for my next build.

What is the best cooler for under $60 with AM2 support out of the box? I'm looking to overclock a X2 3800+ to 2.7 or 2.8Ghz if possible.

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
Exactly :)

So, what is the best air cooler with AM2 support out of the box for $60 or less? Like I said, I'm planning on a pretty high overclock...

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
If I got the Infinity, would adding more fans to different sides improve cooling? What about having one fan blow at the cooler while on one the other side pulls air from it? Should I replace the fan that comes with it?

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
If I got the Infinity, would adding more fans to different sides improve cooling? What about having one fan blow at the cooler while on one the other side pulls air from it? Should I replace the fan that comes with it?

watch out for different airflow, as it can cancel out it self.

i had a freezerpro with a side case fan.
the ac64pro fan runs at around 2500rpm.
with the side fan it ran at 1200rpm.
and the fan went out after 6months or so.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
The fan that comes with the Infinity works really well and it is pretty quiet. Check out some of the links I posted above for benchies. I would stick w/ stock fan.

toolman

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
Toasty7....proper airflow is very important...especially when o/c'ing. The generally accepted way is to have a front fan, usually down low in front, pulling air into the case...a rear fan pulling air out of the case....the cpu fan ( if there is one...),blowing towards the rear fan. This creates a good airflow from front to rear. There are also side fans that blow towards the cpu...top fans that pull air out of the top of the case...and then the psu fan (fans) also help some...oh...almost forgot about the graphics card fan ( if there is one).

I have the AC Freezer 64 Pro...120mm fan in front & rear...my psu has two fans...fanless graphics card ( I'm not a gamer...but have a good card with 256Mb. onboard memory).

I have an Athlon 64 3000+ s754 Venice core o/c'ed from 2000Mhz stock to 2640 Mhz stable...idle temps are about 35 deg. C....and no more than 50 deg C. running Prime....

I like the Freezer 64 Pro....very easy to install on my AMD system....didn't have to remove board...snapped in just like the stock one...even with the fan speed turned down with my fan controller it cools great...maybe 1 degree difference...and very quiet at lower speeds....not near as heavy as the Typhoons, Thermaltakes...etc....

toasty2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2006
I'm talking about overclocking a dual core processor here (2 cores...more heat?)....anyway, the infinity is big and kind of modular (fans), so I'll get it unless the Tuniq has AM2 support in the next few weeks. The freezer 64 works nice, but I don't think its good enough. The Infinity has 10 heatpipes... :D

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Good plan... the AC Freezer 64 Pro is a great cooler (especially for the price), but it's not going to be able to keep up with the Infinity. Especially when you start OCing.

FYI: from what I understand, it's not the number of heatpipes that matters so much as how well those heatpipes are cooled.