Some help asked installing a wecam

Hello,

I've been reading the : "Help!! Webcam Novice Trying to Setup Security
Web Cam" (4/24/2004) with great interest, and followed Noel's
directions.

But I still have problems getting my webcam on line.

When a friend of mine tries to connect to the webcam with Windows
Media Player he encounters a kind of error: after the initial
connecting is done, and loading into buffer is 60-80% completed, WMP
is trying to reconnect. Sometimes he is able to see the picture for a
few seconds, than WMP freezes, trying to reconnect.
He 's connecting to my external IP.

I put up a test

http:www.xs4all.nl/~pme001/streamingtest.htm

But again, he isn't able to see anything. After initial connection,
blank.

I'm using WME 7.1 for encoding on a PIII 450 computer, 128 Mb RAM.
I have a static IP, and a broadband connection. with a Thomson
speedtouch modem. I configured both internal and external IP's.The
webcam I use is an ADI C350.

If I alter the IP's in "streamingtest.htm" from my external IP to my
local machine name or it's IP, upload the file to my provider, open
the HTML, I see a perfect streaming video.

I feel kind of in the dark.

TIA for any suggestions.

Peter
10 answers Last reply
More about some asked installing wecam

    "P.Melchior" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've been reading the : "Help!! Webcam Novice Trying to Setup Security
    > Web Cam" (4/24/2004) with great interest, and followed Noel's
    > directions.
    >
    > But I still have problems getting my webcam on line.
    >
    > When a friend of mine tries to connect to the webcam with Windows
    > Media Player he encounters a kind of error: after the initial
    > connecting is done, and loading into buffer is 60-80% completed, WMP
    > is trying to reconnect. Sometimes he is able to see the picture for a
    > few seconds, than WMP freezes, trying to reconnect.
    > He 's connecting to my external IP.
    >
    > I put up a test
    >
    > http:www.xs4all.nl/~pme001/streamingtest.htm
    >
    > But again, he isn't able to see anything. After initial connection,
    > blank.
    >
    > I'm using WME 7.1 for encoding on a PIII 450 computer, 128 Mb RAM.
    > I have a static IP, and a broadband connection. with a Thomson
    > speedtouch modem. I configured both internal and external IP's.The
    > webcam I use is an ADI C350.
    >
    > If I alter the IP's in "streamingtest.htm" from my external IP to my
    > local machine name or it's IP, upload the file to my provider, open
    > the HTML, I see a perfect streaming video.

    What is the upload speed of your broadband connection on
    the computer you're doing the encoding on? Possibly, you're
    encoding at too high a rate. Try broadcasting at a very low rate,
    such as 56 Kbps, then work up from there. Are you on DSL or
    a cable modem?

    -- Bob Day
    Free "HomeSentinal" webcam surveillance software at
    http://bobday.vze.com, bottom of page.

    Op Sun, 02 May 2004 18:18:46 +0200 schreef P.Melchior
    <me@privacy.net>:

    And this

    http:www.xs4all.nl/~pme001/streamingtest.htm

    should be:

    http://www.xs4all.nl/~pme001/streamingtest.htm

    Sorry for the 404's

    Peter

    except for too much compression or pic window stretched too big,,, combo of
    both,,, motion is good but the stream on du meter here is low spikey
    blotchy,,, not what I am used to seeing nor would call a steady stream.

    trace route from here goes NY to London and right there it slows down from
    28ms to 160 or so ms but event that should be ok

    4 28 ms 27 ms 28 ms ge-6-2-0.mp2.Tampa1.Level3.net
    [64.159.1.149]
    5 41 ms 55 ms 55 ms ge-0-1-0.bbr1.Dallas1.Level3.net
    [64.159.1.109]

    6 55 ms 41 ms 55 ms so-6-0-0.edge1.Dallas1.Level3.net
    [209.244.15.16
    2]
    7 55 ms 55 ms 41 ms sprint-level3-oc48.Dallas1.Level3.net
    [64.158.16
    8.74]
    8 42 ms 54 ms 55 ms sl-bb27-fw-5-0.sprintlink.net
    [144.232.9.137]
    9 41 ms 41 ms 55 ms sl-bb24-fw-14-0.sprintlink.net
    [144.232.11.73]
    10 55 ms 41 ms 55 ms sl-bb21-fw-11-0.sprintlink.net
    [144.232.11.21]
    11 55 ms 69 ms 68 ms sl-bb21-chi-6-0.sprintlink.net
    [144.232.8.53]
    12 82 ms 82 ms 69 ms sl-bb22-nyc-15-0.sprintlink.net
    [144.232.9.148]

    13 83 ms 82 ms 69 ms sl-bb20-nyc-14-0.sprintlink.net
    [144.232.7.105]

    14 151 ms 151 ms 137 ms sl-bb22-lon-12-0.sprintlink.net
    [144.232.9.162]

    15 151 ms 151 ms 164 ms sl-bb20-bru-14-0.sprintlink.net
    [213.206.129.42]

    16 151 ms 151 ms 151 ms sl-bb21-bru-15-0.sprintlink.net
    [80.66.128.42]
    17 151 ms 151 ms 151 ms sl-bb20-ams-14-0.sprintlink.net
    [213.206.129.45]

    18 151 ms 151 ms 151 ms sl-gw10-ams-14-0.sprintlink.net
    [217.149.32.38]

    19 151 ms 165 ms 151 ms sle-xs4al-1-0.sprintlink.net [217.149.33.70]
    20 165 ms 151 ms 151 ms 0.so-2-3-0.xr2.d12.xs4all.net [194.109.5.89]
    21 151 ms 165 ms 151 ms 42.ge9-0-0.pe20.fia.xs4all.net
    [194.109.5.134]
    22 164 ms 151 ms 151 ms 195.190.249.106
    23 * * * Request timed out.

    > Op Sun, 02 May 2004 18:18:46 +0200 schreef P.Melchior
    > <me@privacy.net>:
    >
    > And this
    >
    > http:www.xs4all.nl/~pme001/streamingtest.htm
    >
    > should be:
    >
    > http://www.xs4all.nl/~pme001/streamingtest.htm
    >
    > Sorry for the 404's
    >
    > Peter

    Op Sun, 02 May 2004 16:58:20 GMT schreef "Bob Day"
    <xxxxxxx@yyyyyyy.com>:

    >"P.Melchior" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    Hello,
    [...]

    >What is the upload speed of your broadband connection on
    >the computer you're doing the encoding on?

    upload 320 kbps

    >Possibly, you're
    >encoding at too high a rate. Try broadcasting at a very low rate,
    >such as 56 Kbps, then work up from there.

    I'm compressing to WM8, 56k, 160x120 at this moment, but if the
    connection holds the load I'll try to step up.

    > Are you on DSL or
    >a cable modem?

    ADSL

    Thanks for looking,

    Peter

    >-- Bob Day
    >Free "HomeSentinal" webcam surveillance software at
    >http://bobday.vze.com, bottom of page.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    > Op Sun, 02 May 2004 16:58:20 GMT schreef "Bob Day"
    > <xxxxxxx@yyyyyyy.com>:
    >
    > >"P.Melchior" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > [...]
    >
    > >What is the upload speed of your broadband connection on
    > >the computer you're doing the encoding on?
    >
    > upload 320 kbps
    >
    > >Possibly, you're
    > >encoding at too high a rate. Try broadcasting at a very low rate,
    > >such as 56 Kbps, then work up from there.
    >
    > I'm compressing to WM8, 56k, 160x120 at this moment, but if the
    > connection holds the load I'll try to step up.
    >
    > > Are you on DSL or
    > >a cable modem?
    >
    > ADSL

    ADSL is good. I've found it to be less "bursty" than cable modem
    broadband, which, in my experience, can cause the Encoder to choke.
    --> I'm receiving your broadcast just fine at 29Kbps.

    -- Bob Day
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    "Bob Day" <xxxxxxx@yyyyyyy.com> wrote in message
    | "P.Melchior" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    | > Hello,
    | >
    | > I've been reading the : "Help!! Webcam Novice Trying to Setup Security
    | > Web Cam" (4/24/2004) with great interest, and followed Noel's
    | > directions.
    | >
    | > But I still have problems getting my webcam on line.
    | >
    | > When a friend of mine tries to connect to the webcam with Windows
    | > Media Player he encounters a kind of error: after the initial
    | > connecting is done, and loading into buffer is 60-80% completed, WMP
    | > is trying to reconnect. Sometimes he is able to see the picture for a
    | > few seconds, than WMP freezes, trying to reconnect.
    | > He 's connecting to my external IP.
    | >
    | > I put up a test
    | >
    | > http:www.xs4all.nl/~pme001/streamingtest.htm
    | >
    | > But again, he isn't able to see anything. After initial connection,
    | > blank.
    | >
    | > I'm using WME 7.1 for encoding on a PIII 450 computer, 128 Mb RAM.
    | > I have a static IP, and a broadband connection. with a Thomson
    | > speedtouch modem. I configured both internal and external IP's.The
    | > webcam I use is an ADI C350.
    | >
    | > If I alter the IP's in "streamingtest.htm" from my external IP to my
    | > local machine name or it's IP, upload the file to my provider, open
    | > the HTML, I see a perfect streaming video.
    |
    | What is the upload speed of your broadband connection on
    | the computer you're doing the encoding on? Possibly, you're
    | encoding at too high a rate. Try broadcasting at a very low rate,
    | such as 56 Kbps, then work up from there. Are you on DSL or
    | a cable modem?
    |
    | -- Bob Day
    | ------------------------------------------------------
    | Free "HomeSentinal" webcam surveillance software at
    | http://bobday.vze.com, bottom of page.

    Bob is 100% correct in this! Start with a low bit rate, and work your way
    up!

    What I can see from your stream (just tested it and it was working fine for
    me) is that you are now streaming at 29.1 Kbps with 15 fps.
    I'm not sure if your friend still got the problem, but I do not really think
    that you can go much lower than this!

    Let me know if you get stuck!

    Noël

    --
    http://webcam.kijk.info
    http://www.resize2mail.com

    Hi,

    Op Sun, 02 May 2004 17:21:27 GMT schreef "Bob Day"
    <xxxxxxx@yyyyyyy.com>:

    >"P.Melchior" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >> Op Sun, 02 May 2004 16:58:20 GMT schreef "Bob Day"
    >> <xxxxxxx@yyyyyyy.com>:
    >>
    >> >"P.Melchior" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >> [...]
    >>
    >> >What is the upload speed of your broadband connection on
    >> >the computer you're doing the encoding on?
    >>
    >> upload 320 kbps
    >>
    >> >Possibly, you're
    >> >encoding at too high a rate. Try broadcasting at a very low rate,
    >> >such as 56 Kbps, then work up from there.
    >>
    >> I'm compressing to WM8, 56k, 160x120 at this moment, but if the
    >> connection holds the load I'll try to step up.
    >>
    >> > Are you on DSL or
    >> >a cable modem?
    >>
    >> ADSL
    >>

    >ADSL is good. I've found it to be less "bursty" than cable modem
    >broadband, which, in my experience, can cause the Encoder to choke.

    Well I don't have experience with cable, living on a rather remote
    spot. The phone exchange is upgraded to ADSL sincs april first.

    >--> I'm receiving your broadcast just fine at 29Kbps.

    Thanks, that's good to hear. It reassures me that I didn't do anything
    basically wrong. Now it's a matter of speeding up, and find out when
    the connection chokes.

    Thanks,

    Peter
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    Hi,

    Op Sun, 2 May 2004 19:15:09 +0200 schreef "Noël"
    <n03l@REMOVE-hotmail.com>:

    >"Bob Day" <xxxxxxx@yyyyyyy.com> wrote in message

    >| What is the upload speed of your broadband connection on
    >| the computer you're doing the encoding on? Possibly, you're
    >| encoding at too high a rate. Try broadcasting at a very low rate,
    >| such as 56 Kbps, then work up from there. Are you on DSL or
    >| a cable modem?
    >|
    >| -- Bob Day
    >| ------------------------------------------------------
    >| Free "HomeSentinal" webcam surveillance software at
    >| http://bobday.vze.com, bottom of page.
    >|

    >Bob is 100% correct in this! Start with a low bit rate, and work your way
    >up!
    >
    >What I can see from your stream (just tested it and it was working fine for
    >me) is that you are now streaming at 29.1 Kbps with 15 fps.

    Yes, WM8 56kbps. Try to speed up things later tonight, as I find the
    quality a little disappointing. (In general, not related to the
    compression)

    >I'm not sure if your friend still got the problem, but I do not really think
    >that you can go much lower than this!

    I check with him later tonight. He is on ADSL too, so the bandwith
    probably can be set at a higher level

    >Let me know if you get stuck!

    O yes, you bet!

    Regards,
    Peter
  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.webcam (More info?)

    | Hi,
    |
    | Op Sun, 2 May 2004 19:15:09 +0200 schreef "Noël"
    | <n03l@REMOVE-hotmail.com>:
    |
    | >"Bob Day" <xxxxxxx@yyyyyyy.com> wrote in message
    |
    | >| What is the upload speed of your broadband connection on
    | >| the computer you're doing the encoding on? Possibly, you're
    | >| encoding at too high a rate. Try broadcasting at a very low rate,
    | >| such as 56 Kbps, then work up from there. Are you on DSL or
    | >| a cable modem?
    | >|
    | >| -- Bob Day
    | >| ------------------------------------------------------
    | >| Free "HomeSentinal" webcam surveillance software at
    | >| http://bobday.vze.com, bottom of page.
    | >|

    | >Bob is 100% correct in this! Start with a low bit rate, and work your way
    | >up!
    | >
    | >What I can see from your stream (just tested it and it was working fine
    for
    | >me) is that you are now streaming at 29.1 Kbps with 15 fps.
    |
    | Yes, WM8 56kbps. Try to speed up things later tonight, as I find the
    | quality a little disappointing. (In general, not related to the
    | compression)
    |
    | >I'm not sure if your friend still got the problem, but I do not really
    think
    | >that you can go much lower than this!
    |
    | I check with him later tonight. He is on ADSL too, so the bandwith
    | probably can be set at a higher level
    |

    | >Let me know if you get stuck!
    |
    | O yes, you bet!
    |
    | Regards,
    | Peter

    Peter,

    At 29.1 Kbps you can't really steam good quality video! (At this speed you
    can "just" do a nice stereo sound stream!)

    This is what you can do if you have the bandwidth to play with:
    http://www.terena.nl/~dick/cam2.asx

    Noël

    --
    http://webcam.kijk.info
    http://www.resize2mail.com

    Hi,

    Op Sun, 2 May 2004 20:12:09 +0200 schreef "Noël"
    <n03l@REMOVE-hotmail.com>:

    >Peter,
    >
    >At 29.1 Kbps you can't really steam good quality video! (At this speed you
    >can "just" do a nice stereo sound stream!)

    I know, and what I have to figure out is how far I can push
    things......

    >This is what you can do if you have the bandwidth to play with:
    >http://www.terena.nl/~dick/cam2.asx

    Impressive, it even has sound. Saw transfer reaching 1000kbps at a
    certain moment. This is not what I'm aiming at, but I could do better
    then 29 kbps. Should I stick to WM8 compression?

    Thanks for the help,

    Peter

Webcams Connection Peripherals