1st build

ali_b71

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Hello,

I am planing on building my 1st pc.

I got a few questions because ive never done it before :D

Is there any sites that tells you how to build a pc or give you advice or tutorials/guides etc?

Whats the best way to find out about common problems that may arise?

Is there anywhere that tells you what hardware is compatible with each other?

If something breaks while the pc is being built will it still have its warrenty?

Cheers for your advice,

Ali Black

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Is there any sites that tells you how to build a pc or give you advice or tutorials/guides etc?

yeah i know of a couple good guides, i just have to find them first, there mixed in with the vast pool of pc bookmarks i have.

Whats the best way to find out about common problems that may arise?

not sure what you mean.

Is there anywhere that tells you what hardware is compatible with each other?

yeah, if you cant figure out if its compatible or not after a bit of looking around, (ie manufacturers site, site your going to buy from, reviews of the part, ect.) then just make a new topic under the correct catagory here, we'll help you. but its pretty obvious most of the time if parts are complatible or not, you'll pick everything up fairly easily once you start to configure you system.

If something breaks while the pc is being built will it still have its warrenty?

technically, yes, if something happens like you fry the cpu from static then the warrenty is void. although it would be easy just to get an RMA and send it back to where ever you got it, saying thats its defective. unless the damage is obivious of course, like if you step in your mobo or something.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
found a couple of 'em

a little dated, but the info is still good.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2002/09/04/building_your_own_pc/index.html

i love the wikipedia
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_To_Assemble_A_Desktop_PC/Building_the_Physical_Computer

there are a few others i can think of but cant find.

oh, and before you build remember to get an anti-static wrist band, that way you avoid the risk of destorying hundreds of dollars in computer parts from static electricity. ypu can get them off newegg for like $10.

ali_b71

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
hi ye i just started looking at that now and it got me thinking. i would rather have a shuttle than a tower. do you have to get different sized motherboards and gfx cards etc?

Whiznot

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
In addition to the computer building how-to sites, you might want to check out the Silent PC Review web site. The articles, recommendations and forum provide excellent resources. Almost all of the forum members at SPCR build their own machines and the expertise level is very high.

Also, don't underestimate the importance of initial setup and the software build. A great source of information is provided by the Tweaking Companion on the Tweak Guides site. The Tweaking Companion is a free 186 page PDF file that is a comprehensive guide to Windows setup and maintenance.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
hi ye i just started looking at that now and it got me thinking. i would rather have a shuttle than a tower. do you have to get different sized motherboards and gfx cards etc?

yeah, there are plenty of mobo's in every size, what kind of cpu where you looking at? that way we know which board to recommend. make sure you have really good cooling too, small form factor pc's can get really hot.

ali_b71

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
this is a rough setup... i want the pc to play games on mostly,

Intel p965 Platinum
Core2duo E6400
Corsair 1Gb DDR2
Western Digital 250Gb
BFG 7900

i want a smallish pc so its easy to trasnport it to lans.