Freeze, crash, and beeps.

Handy

Distinguished
May 1, 2004
CPU: Core 2 Duo E6300
RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Mobo: Intel DG965wh
HD: 250GB WD caviar SATA
GPU: Asus Radeon 1900 XTX

Every once and awhile, usually when I'm installing something or playing a game, my computer will freeze then crash then it will beep 3 times. I've looked at the mobo's POST sounds and 3 beeps indicates No Memory. Also, when it crashes the top inch or so of the screen usually turns red.

Could I have bad RAM? Could it be Vista? If it might be the RAM do you know of any good (free preferably) bootable memory tests I could get?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks

dayaldiw

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
I remember getting that Motherboard & processor and I looked at the motherboard specs and it is very picky about the brand of RAM you install. Typically what I've noticed is that Kingstons Value RAM or Samsung works fine. Do make sure what the voltage settings are like. I think that board only supports 1.8V-2.0V. If the RAM you are using needs more power then thats probably the reason why the windows are crashing and you are getting those errors. Try like a KVR667 1GB stick and see what happens.

Handy

Distinguished
May 1, 2004
memtest86 didn't work for me, it would flash for a second then send my computer into an endless restarting loop. So I downloaded Windows Memory Diagnostic and the RAM checks out fine. I'm going to borrow my friend's RAM since he has the same mobo as me and see if my problem stops.