DVD drive no longer recognizes any discs I insert

In windows XP the DVD drive no longer recognizes any discs I insert (I've
tried different CD & DVDs). When I go to the DVD
drive properties it says it's working properly. I've deleted & reinstalled
the hardware but with no success. I'm told I should perform non destructive
system recovery but I'm concerned about what this will do.
Any suggestions?
thanks

Check the problem section at Alex Nichol's site here
http://www.aumha.org/a/xpcd.htm

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp