Sign in with
Your question

Same system cloning and activation question?

Last response: in Windows 7
June 15, 2011 1:38:50 AM

I have a question. I just upgraded my XP system to Win 7 home premium 64bit. But after I installed it, I realized that the my HD is pretty old and may go out soon. So I ordered a new HD and it should be here in a few days. What my question is is this. I know I can clone my current installation and copy it to the new HD, but will I have to reactivate win 7 if it is cloned to the same system?
June 15, 2011 6:56:44 AM

It seems you have found the best way to upgrade your old hard disk. I think you are thinking too much to worried about the reactivate thing. If you are required to reactive your Windows 7 after upgrading, what the benefit to use a cloning software? So don't worry about this, you just need to find a suitable cloning utility to do this in case of any data loss happening. easeus todo-backup free is a combination of the cloning and backup. you can upgrade your hard disk and also use it to backup your crucial data. Like it, just try it. it's free
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 15, 2011 7:50:49 AM

if you clone it and dont change the other hardware you don't need to reactive

i did this myself a while ago, you will never need to reactivate a clone if you dont change the hardware because windows treats it as if you havent turned your computer on since then
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 15, 2011 1:23:10 PM

Use a good disk cloning and backup software like Acronis True Image, and you don't need to worry about reactivating.
Re-Activation is only needed for major hardware changes like a new motherboard, and even then, it is no big deal, unless of course you are using an OEM version of Windows.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 15, 2011 2:15:03 PM

Its all tied to the hardware ID generated by windows, any change in that then yes you will be asked to activate it, but its not a hard process to do this anyway
m
l
!