CPU / Heatsink Problem

Splic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
This morning I recieved a replacement motherboard in the mail for my older one that fried. I've successfully dissassembled every part of the computer, and installed the new mobo... but I'm having a time reinstalling the CPU. This is probably because I can't disconnect the CPU from the heatsink. I'm too afraid to pry it off, for fear or breaking or tearing something.

It seems I'd be able to just put it on the mobo with the heatsink, if it weren't for that little lever.

I'd really appreciate some input, since I've just got a bunch of hardware lying around my room right now.

Thanks.

G

You got a older P4 or a Ahtlon I presume?

If you removed the HeatSink and the CPU stayed attached, I would start by looking for Bent/Broken pins under the CPU. I usually use a credit card to make sur they're all straight, if some are bent, carefully put them straight.

Then You can use an exacto or something to try to remove the CPU, if it uses a HeatSpreader(Aluminium cover) you can apply a good amount of force to pry it.
Also putting it in a ziplock and then in the freezer is suppose to help.

Finally if you took it from an Old compaq/hp/whatever brand, some of these guy soldered the heatsink to the CPU.

More details could help:
CPU type/stock cooler/thermal paste? etc

Splic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Ah, I've actually solved the problem. But to help with anyone else who has the problem, I'll clarify.

I have an old P4 with a stock heatsink and fan. There was thermal tape between the heatsink and the CPU, and the stuff just wouldn't give. I went to a few places in town, but the best suggestion I got was to just keep trying. So a half hour and two sore thumbs later, I finally managed to get the sucker off. All it took was some twisting and pushing action.

I just about cried when I saw a bent pin on the corner. I very carefully straightened it out until it would easily fit in the socket. I haven't powered it up yet, but I'm really hoping that everything will work out alright.

I've just finished installing everything, so I'm going to give the PC a test run.

Wish me luck, and thanks for the help.

Splic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Update:

Something must be screwed up. I replaced the mobo, installed everything correctly. Double, triple, and quadruply checked everything. Took pictures, took notes, everything.

The power button does absoultely nothing. My one indication that hope is still left is that when the ethernet cable is plugged in, it lights up (when the power to the PC is connected).

Anyway, for reference... the setup is a P4 2.4GHz // Radeon 9800XT (AGP) // 40GB SATA HDD // 512MB RAM // ABIT IS-10 // Antec ARIA.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.