TV out for laptop?

Gavinmh

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
Hey!

I'm looking to turn my laptop into a small, portable PVR and at the moment I'm trying to see what options I have going for me. First off, I own an Acer Aspire 3610, Pentium M 1.8ghz 512 mb RAM, integrated graphics and am about to add a PCTV Pro Stick USB Tuner to allow for streaming and recording of live TV.

Now comes the question. Since I doubt many people like looking at a 15" screen all day, I was hoping to find a way to export the video from the laptop to a TV. How can I do this? I have spent the better part of an hour searching newegg and price hound for something that I dont even know if it exists.

In my mind, I'm looking for a CardBus or PCMCIA (are they the same thing? I'm talking about the expansion port on a laptop that allows you to plug in these sleek cards....) that only NEEDS to do one thing, export video from my computer to a TV.

The TV in my possession is a simple 20" SD TV, and I'm sure it was made in the early 90s... I'm thinking to upgrade to a small (27" or smaller) LCD TV. What outputs do said TVs accept? Am I looking for DVI out from the computer to the TV?

I don't know if any of that made sense to anyone, but if you can help, I would appreciate it!

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi.
to connect your laptop to th tv ,tv needs to have the necessery connections vga or dvi connection.
as for laptop i think everyone is able to connectet to a second monitor.
by the way u must concetrate more on the tv set.

Gavinmh

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
So the VGA out is all I need to send the feed out from my laptop to the TV? Is there another way to get a video feed out? Or does everything else require a new computer with a real gfx card?

Having decided that, am I looking for a TV with a VGA input? Wouldn't that turn the TV into a monitor? Is there some sort of adaptor to go from VGA to DVI, HDMI, S-Video or Component?

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi.
So the VGA out is all I need to send the feed out from my laptop to the TV?
i think yes,but maybe there are and others ways to do that,like dvi,s-video,
Having decided that, am I looking for a TV with a VGA input? Wouldn't that turn the TV into a monitor? Is there some sort of adaptor to go from VGA to DVI, HDMI, S-Video or Component
tv with vga or dvi.
many cards are coming with adaptor from dvi-vga,that i see it by myself.for the rest i don't know but i suppose since the one exists there must exist and the rest.
you can check it out in a shop.