Help! Messed up! drivers installed but arent! WTF!

hello all. I built a new computer a while back (month or so) and had various problems that have ranged from just being an annoyance to as extreme as putting my comp out of commision (hardrive failure). anyway. I bought the X-FI platinum edition. I tried installing the drivers. and when I would attempt it, my comp would completly freeze when it said it was updating windows drivers. people recomended trying to install in safe mode. i tried it and it worked.... kinda. when i rebooted in normal mode, my comp would freeze on the windows xp loading screen (a past problem btw). so i powered down, and booted using the last known good config. it worked. and i didnt have the x-fi drivers installed, however, when I try to install them again, it says that I have previously installed drivers without rebooting, it wants me to reboot and try again. i have done that many times. its not working. I would love to actually use my x-fi. someone please help.
85 answers Last reply
More about help messed drivers installed arent
  1. help now.
  2. deinstall the driver, go into hardware manager and deinstall the card. Then install the driver and reboot.
  3. it isnt showing the drivers are installed. im not even sure if is detecting the sound card at all.
  4. Ok, deinstall the card, then reinstall the driver.
  5. how do i deinstall the card? just take it out and put it back in the slot?
  6. Quote:
    how do i deinstall the card? just take it out and put it back in the slot?


    Go to Device Manager, right-click on the card and select "uninstall"

    Then, install the drivers,

    Then, in Device manager, right click on the list of devices and select "Scan for hardware changes"
  7. i cant find it in the device manager. maybe something is wrong?
  8. yeah i cant find the card in the device manager, should i try a different pci slot? can i do it while the computer is on? or isnt a sound card a plug and play type thing where it willl detect as soon as its in
  9. Check for spyware. I had a similar problem with my SBLive Platinum. It turned out that threre was spyware sucking up resources in the background and the driver could not use the generic host process. I used AVG Anti-spyware to clean it in safe-mode then the drivers installed properly in normal-mode after rebooting.

    AVG Free AntiSpyware
  10. came up empty. nothing to report with the virus scanner. anyone have anything else?
  11. anyone?
  12. Quote:
    anyone?


    Something else is wrong. I don't think the drivers are completely deinstalled. You need to get back to square one. If there's nothing from "Creative" in "Add/Remove Programs", then you will have to do a manual registry edit to remove it - and I don't want to be responsible for walking you through that.

    The safest thing would be to remove the card, then do a repair install of Windows.
  13. repair install of windows? does that require some files to be lost? sounds hard.
  14. Quote:
    repair install of windows? does that require some files to be lost? sounds hard.


    Is is hard if you've never installed windows. And no, you won't loose your stuff. Excuse me for pointing out that you seem to be a little out of your depth here. The questions you're asking really can't be answered this way - there's some fundamental background stuff you need.

    I suggest you start with this:
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm
  15. actually i have installed win xp many times before. i just always reformated each time, so i was just wondering if i needed to again. by hard i ment alot of work, like having to reformat and put all my files back on again.
  16. Quote:
    actually i have installed win xp many times before. i just always reformated each time, so i was just wondering if i needed to again. by hard i ment alot of work, like having to reformat and put all my files back on again.


    Ok, sorry. When you run the install, it checks to see if you already have a copy of windows. It will ask if you want to repair the existing copy, or install a new copy. You want to repair the existing copy. You won't loose any of your stuif.
  17. and I should take the whole card out? and will my profile still be there, like everything will be the same as right now?
  18. Take the whole card out. Send it to me if you want. My X-Fi extreme music works perfectly.

    I don't know what you mean by "profile".
  19. my profile... like my background, my bookmarks on mozilla... just everything lol.
  20. Quote:
    my profile... like my background, my bookmarks on mozilla... just everything lol.


    Yeah. It'll save all that stuff.
  21. alright.... wish me luck lol :lol: :lol: :lol: I have a feeling im gonna need it. I have had so many problems with this thing left and right Im scared to do it! oh well. i will get back to you on how it went... and if i dont... :lol: well then things will have gone wrong for the thousand time.
  22. alright man. I did that. I did the repair thing, i took out the card before hand and everything. then I tried installing the drivers again. and it said the same crap. It said I had previously installed drivers with out rebooting. I dont know what to do. Will I have to reformat my harddrive just to have my damn sound card working? this is really angering me now. if you have anymore advice. now would be a good time.
  23. Download and install the most recent driver:
    http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp?MainCategory=1&nRegionFK=&nCountryFK=&nLanguageFK=&sOSName=Windows+XP&region=1&Product_Name=X-Fi+XtremeMusic&Product_ID=14066&modelnumber=&driverlang=1033&OS=10&drivertype=0&x=25&y=13
    And take all the other PCI devices off out of your PC
    Reboot and let windows find the X-Fi card card.
    Use hardware manager to determine which IRQ the soundcard took.
    Go into the BIOS and reserve that IRQ for the soundcard.
    Restall the other PCI devices and reboot.
  24. I had a similar issue a year or so ago when I upgraded my vid card. I had to uninstall the card, then update my chipset drivers (get the latest drivers for your MOBO), then install the new hardware again.

    Hope that works.....
  25. alright, you guys just gave me alot of advice, im not going to try anything yet. because i have an update. I looked, and my computer does reconize the card is there. i went into sound options, and changed everything to go through x-fi, and when i pluged in my speakers, i would get a constand high pitched ring sound, it would be constant no matter what, and nothing else would play. hope this info helps isolating and fixing the problem
  26. ok guys. something is really wrong. I got enough courage to try and install the drivers again. I tried using the cd instead of the downloaded one. shit got messed again. I couldnt boot :\ so what I did was a reformated (im tired of this, i just want it to work). and Then the first thing I did when I got everything up and running was I tried installing the drivers. guess what happened? it reboot during the driver install... and it kept rebooting after it got past bio's screen. so I tried doing windows repair... and it kept rebooting during the repair. so now Im reformating and installing again. please help. I think I am going to end up putting some stuff on the new install, then take it to best buy or somewhere and tell them not to give it back until its fixed and working. what you guys think? i would prefer not to spend a shit load on this. but I might have to.
  27. Quote:
    ok guys. something is really wrong. I got enough courage to try and install the drivers again. I tried using the cd instead of the downloaded one. **** got messed again. I couldnt boot :\ so what I did was a reformated (im tired of this, i just want it to work). and Then the first thing I did when I got everything up and running was I tried installing the drivers. guess what happened? it reboot during the driver install... and it kept rebooting after it got past bio's screen. so I tried doing windows repair... and it kept rebooting during the repair. so now Im reformating and installing again. please help. I think I am going to end up putting some stuff on the new install, then take it to best buy or somewhere and tell them not to give it back until its fixed and working. what you guys think? i would prefer not to spend a **** load on this. but I might have to.


    List in detail your configuration:
    Motherboard,
    Memory,
    Processor,
    Disk Drive,
    All PCI devices,
    Which release of Windows,
    Optical Drives

    Also - when you say you install the driver, exactly what does that mean to you. What steps to you take?
  28. motherboard: asus P5b Deluxe w wifi
    ram: 2x 1 gig OCZ platinum 4-5-4
    Processor: E6400
    Disk Drive: WD2500SD
    PCI devices: X-fi platinum, ATI X1900XT
    windows: Windows XP Professional
    Optical Drive: Light-on lightscribe dvd burner

    when I install a driver... I either use the cd that came with the device, or I download the newest off the website and run the program.
  29. Quote:
    motherboard: asus P5b Deluxe w wifi
    ram: 2x 1 gig OCZ platinum 4-5-4
    Processor: E6400
    Disk Drive: WD2500SD
    PCI devices: X-fi platinum, ATI X1900XT
    windows: Windows XP Professional
    Optical Drive: Light-on lightscribe dvd burner

    when I install a driver... I either use the cd that came with the device, or I download the newest off the website and run the program.


    If you boot Memtest 86+ off a CD, I bet you get all kinds of errors, and I believe the problem is your memory.

    Get into the BIOS and change the memory timings to 5-5-5-12, and add +0.2v to the DIMM bus. I doubt you can run 4-5-4 with default voltage. You can always tighten the timings later.

    If you don't have a bootable copy of Memtest 86+ on CD, you should. If you can't pass Memtest, no way will your machine be stable enough to run Windows.
  30. i ran two instances of memtest, both came back with 0 errors when at 112% tested. that was without doing anything in bios. im gonna leave it how it is. if you are out of options with my sound card. tell me. I will probably just leave it how it is and use onboard sound for now, then take it in to a best buy or something when i get some extra money.
  31. Quote:
    i ran two instances of memtest, both came back with 0 errors when at 112% tested. that was without doing anything in bios. im gonna leave it how it is. if you are out of options with my sound card. tell me. I will probably just leave it how it is and use onboard sound for now, then take it in to a best buy or something when i get some extra money.


    The problem is not your sound card. Something else is wrong.
  32. unfortunetly I have no clue what. it doesnt make sense. I can install drivers for my other devices no problem, but the x-fi is giving me a world of trouble. it doesnt make sense to me. I might have to take it in to a professional place :\
  33. alright you guys. I may or may not have found something interesting. I decided to do an update to my bios, and when I booted it came up with some kind of overclocking error or something, it just said hit F2 to restore everything to defaults. so I did that. the thing that is so odd, is that I got that once before, right about the time i started having sound card driver issues. and I had never updated my bios before. do you think somehow my bios got messed up? so maybe i should be all good now? should I try installing drivers again?
  34. Quote:
    alright you guys. I may or may not have found something interesting. I decided to do an update to my bios, and when I booted it came up with some kind of overclocking error or something, it just said hit F2 to restore everything to defaults. so I did that. the thing that is so odd, is that I got that once before, right about the time i started having sound card driver issues. and I had never updated my bios before. do you think somehow my bios got messed up? so maybe i should be all good now? should I try installing drivers again?


    Ok. Lets try this again.

    Your drivers are already there. If you look in device Manager, devices, you'll see a device listed as a yellow question mark. This is your soundcard. It comes up as an unknown device because Windows was unable to assign an IRQ to it. This is why I asked you to reserve an IRQ for it in the BIOS.

    This is common with the Creative X-fi.

    So, update your BIOS to the latest level using the Qbios utility built into the BIOS. DO NOT try to update the BIOS from Windows - your configuration is too unstable. Take all the default settings and reboot.

    It should see your soundcard. If not, - soft boot (Shutdown-restart) until it sees it.

    Make note of the IRQ Windows assigned it, and reserve that IRQ in the BIOS.
  35. it sees two things. 2 things have a question mark by it. one is called multimedia audio controller, the other SM bus controller. i think i know which is my sound card but whats the bus controller?
  36. i dont even know how to find IRQ number...
  37. alright. here is what happened. I didnt have my drivers installed. because I had reformatted before. I downloaded the newest drivers. and I tried installing them. my computer rebooted on its own when I tryed. it rebooted normally, except that it would detect the x-fi sound card and then reboot. it did that every single time so I took the card out and now it doesnt reboot. the thing is, i had the same thing when I installed my printer drivers for the computer, so it isnt soley a sound card driver issue.
  38. You installed the driver from the CD and the machine spontaneously rebooted - is that it? Its supposed to reboot, but it asks you first. Does the machine just crash?

    You have an IRQ conflict.

    Have you updated your BIOS?

    then,

    Download the latest soundcard driver from Creative's website. I already sent you the l ink.
  39. Have you disabled your onboard audio ?

    Sounds like the others are on the right track anyway, But might be worth a go.
  40. Quote:
    You installed the driver from the CD and the machine spontaneously rebooted - is that it? Its supposed to reboot, but it asks you first. Does the machine just crash?

    You have an IRQ conflict.

    Have you updated your BIOS?

    then,

    Download the latest soundcard driver from Creative's website. I already sent you the l ink.


    no, this time around I didnt use my cd. I just downloaded the newest drivers from the creative website and tried it. and it doesnt ask me if i want to reboot, it just reboots in the middle of the driver install. by updating bios, i assume you mean downloading the newest one? yes i did update that. So the sound card and the printer problem is an IRQ conflict? how am I supose to fix that? i dont even know how to find the IRQ number, much less do anything about it in bios. also, how am I supose to do anything about it if when my sound card is in, my computer crashes. like, as soon as it detects my x-fi (a little balloon comes up in right corner) the system restarts its self. right now I just have my sound card sitting out in a anti-static bag.
  41. what motherboard do you have? the x-fi had known issues with some asus boards.
  42. Quote:
    what motherboard do you have? the x-fi had known issues with some asus boards.


    P5B deluxe with wifi. but i had my x-fi working a while ago, before my hardrive died on me. so i know it can work.
  43. Something very basic is wrong. Either you have the wrong driver or the wrong BIOS. Usually when you load the wrong BIOS your machine crashes, but you might have one similar enough. You have an ASUS P5B. Doublecheck that it is indeed a P5B, then get the latest BIOS for the P5B, not the P5, but the P5B.

    then reflash the BIOS
  44. Quote:
    Something very basic is wrong. Either you have the wrong driver or the wrong BIOS. Usually when you load the wrong BIOS your machine crashes, but you might have one similar enough. You have an ASUS P5B. Doublecheck that it is indeed a P5B, then get the latest BIOS for the P5B, not the P5, but the P5B.

    then reflash the BIOS


    it is all correct man.
  45. Ok,
    Try loosening the timings on your RAM. 4-5-4 is pretty tight for DDR2-800. Try 5-5-5-12 and see what happens. Just humor me.
  46. ok, but few questions and commments. why would that affect anything? because my system is totally stable besides when it comes to drivers. right now i only have battlefield 2142 installed, but i run it max at 1600x1200. which would put a big stress on the system. and thats the advertised timings for my ram. i dont see why it wouldnt handle it. and one last question. how do i change all the ram stuff lol. when i overclocked i used asus overclocking tool that overclocked ram automatically.
  47. Quote:
    yeah i cant find the card in the device manager, should i try a different pci slot? can i do it while the computer is on? or isnt a sound card a plug and play type thing where it willl detect as soon as its in


    If the driver has been installed, you can't see it but the system says it's there; then reboot into SAFE mode (F5), check Device Manager, and you'll see a whole bunch of extra devices including the buggy install. NOW uninstall it then reboot normally.
  48. Quote:
    ok, but few questions and commments. why would that affect anything? because my system is totally stable besides when it comes to drivers. right now i only have battlefield 2142 installed, but i run it max at 1600x1200. which would put a big stress on the system. and thats the advertised timings for my ram. i dont see why it wouldnt handle it. and one last question. how do i change all the ram stuff lol. when i overclocked i used asus overclocking tool that overclocked ram automatically.


    Oh, PLEASE do not overclock with software. Deinstall that crap. That could be your whole problem.

    How would it impact it? Because your video settings for adwarefield 2142 don't have anything to do with your ram, so that's not diagnostic.

    What is diagnostic is to change something and see the result. If loostening the timings on your memory stabilized your machine enough that it can pick up the IRQ for your soundcard, than that will tell us something.

    You set the timings in the BIOS. You can always change it back if it doesn't help
  49. Quote:
    when i overclocked i used asus overclocking tool that overclocked ram automatically.


    Oh, PLEASE do not overclock with software. Deinstall that crap. That could be your whole problem.

    You set the timings in the BIOS. You can always change it back if it doesn't help

    Oh Christ, I missed that! Definitely all the problems are caused by using software overclocking. Besides, if a system is having ANY trouble, you should not overclock at ALL until the issues are resolved. Gee! And the Asus Ai Booster IS crap.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sound Cards Drivers Computer Components