Should I update my monitor or it really doesnt matter?

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I was going to put this in the CE disscussion but I wanted to know for my system as a whole. I have a CRT 17" or 18" (not sure) NEC AccuSync 75f. Does this affect my video card? This monitor I believe is 2 or 3 yrs old. I was thinking of replacing it with a LCD but thats only because my space is limited. In anyones opinion should I upgrade my CRT (not caring about space) or a CRT from a few years ago is no different that todays CRT or should I upgrade to a LCD? I like crisp clean picture that make games look fantastic. I mainly play Sims2 Pets, Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 (all of the expansions), Zoo Tycoon2 (all of the expansions), Simcity 4000, Civilization 4, Railroads, Caesar 4, 18 wheels of steel: haulin, and The Movies. I don't play FPS's. If I play a RPG it might be World of Warcraft or Guild Wars next summer. Any opinions would be appreciated. My system is only for games.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
the space saving is the biggest reason for an lcd.
for me anyway.

lcd,s and plasmas are getting better, but a crt still has the best
overall picture. even an older one.

so its up to you?

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Your current monitor, a NEC 17" as75f, has a 3 yr warranty. Consider that. The specs aren't bad, pixel size a bit large, but OK overall.

If money isn't a concern, an LCD at 19" to 22" would be an upgrade worth looking into. 'my space is limited'.... Width, depth?

A 19" should fit width wise... Any LCD would be an improvement on depth.

Go to your local computer store and take a look at some LCD's on display. Monitors are very much a personal choice. For my eyes, I can use no less than a 21" CRT. For my back's sake I got a 24" Dell about 18 mnths ago. Happy? Yes. Blissfully so? No. At times I miss my Sun 21", but not when I need to shift things around on my workstation.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Oh ok. It has to be a 17" then because the screen isnt huge. So like i read before, a video cards optimization is with its onboard ram, onboard clock speed, pixel shaders, pipelines and on my system as a whole.....cpu and ram?

I have an itch like my video card is not optimized. Maybe cause Im a newb and I dont see any differences. I went from a AGP video card, 512GB RAM (3rd party RAM), onboard audio and a P4 2.87GHZ computer (Built by Alienware) to my Conroe E6300, Saphire x1900xtx, 1GB XMS DDR2-533 RAM (latency 3-3-3-9). Lol The system was $2400, my conroe system I built was a little less than $1100. Oh and my Alienware system is DEAD. RIP 7-19-06 grrrr. It was only 2 1/2 years old. Can't find the replaceable part.

I just wanted to make sure since my system is new that my CRT isn't making the graphics/video lag and nothing is dragging the video card down. Plus I saw LCD's are getting cheaper as we speak. I was thinking of getting a LCD monitor during the christmas sales. But I dont want to sacrifice any picture quality. Get a 21" or higher CRT? My video card supports 2 monitors, does this help or make a difference?

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Your current monitor, a NEC 17" as75f, has a 3 yr warranty. Consider that. The specs aren't bad, pixel size a bit large, but OK overall.

If money isn't a concern, an LCD at 19" to 22" would be an upgrade worth looking into. 'my space is limited'.... Width, depth?

A 19" should fit width wise... Any LCD would be an improvement on depth.

Go to your local computer store and take a look at some LCD's on display. Monitors are very much a personal choice. For my eyes, I can use no less than a 21" CRT. For my back's sake I got a 24" Dell about 18 mnths ago. Happy? Yes. Blissfully so? No. At times I miss my Sun 21", but not when I need to shift things around on my workstation.

LoL. Thanx for the tips. I dont shift things, where I have my system, I dont move it: thats where it stays: keyboard, speakers, tower, monitor; stay where they are. So lets say space is not an issue but picture quality and the best for my system as a whole... 21" CRT or 19"-22" LCD monitor? The best bang for my buck moniker :D Which would be better for my games? I do lean foward at my screen which probably means I should get a bigger monitor.

bullaRh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
if u game the picture quality on a LCD is better =d thats what i think i got a samsung syncmaster 913b and its really good at games tho i wont recommend it for movies but its just this monitor cuz there is alot of good LCD's for movies, i will soon move up to a widescreen 24'' lcd :D just waiting for the prices 2 drop a little more

dokk

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Oh ok. It has to be a 17" then because the screen isnt huge. So like i read before, a video cards optimization is with its onboard ram, onboard clock speed, pixel shaders, pipelines and on my system as a whole.....cpu and ram?

I have an itch like my video card is not optimized. Maybe cause Im a newb and I dont see any differences. I went from a AGP video card, 512GB RAM (3rd party RAM), onboard audio and a P4 2.87GHZ computer (Built by Alienware) to my Conroe E6300, Saphire x1900xtx, 1GB XMS DDR2-533 RAM (latency 3-3-3-9). Lol The system was $2400, my conroe system I built was a little less than $1100. Oh and my Alienware system is DEAD. RIP 7-19-06 grrrr. It was only 2 1/2 years old. Can't find the replaceable part.

I just wanted to make sure since my system is new that my CRT isn't making the graphics/video lag and nothing is dragging the video card down. Plus I saw LCD's are getting cheaper as we speak. I was thinking of getting a LCD monitor during the christmas sales. But I dont want to sacrifice any picture quality. Get a 21" or higher CRT? My video card supports 2 monitors, does this help or make a difference?

Christmas Sales ?? There are NO christmas sales prices always go up going into christmas,,no ??? - - unless you mean AFTER christmas ??
IF you can WAIT ,,, untill next spring/summer because,,, 1,,prices will drop and ,,2,,the continued introduction of gargantuan monitors will/should likely drive the price of the smaller 24" or less down.Just my 2c..