milnyckyj

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2006
I'm in the process of buying parts for a conroe build and need to buy ram. I'm using the E6400 and want to do a modest overclock, so PC6400 at timings of 4 or 5 seems to be right for me. I'm planning on using an Asus p5b-e and want to buy 2 gigs immediately, and another two in a year or so.

The dilemma that I'm having now is weighing the high cost of PC6400 versus wanting to save a few bucks. With the $40 rebate at newegg and free shipping, the corsair ram on newegg looks pretty good at (240 for the cas 5 and 260 for cas 4. That rebate is valid until the end of the month, so I'm not really in a rush to make a decision.

Do you think getting the ram with the lower timings is worth an extra $20?

Also, the Asus P5B-E specifies
Notice: Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets.
Apparrantly people have been having trouble using ram at high voltages with that board; this is why I like those corsair sticks.

G

Im pretty sure you can set the proper CAS manually if you raise the voltage to what's on the stick (2.1-2.2V ?)