Noob card installation question

hydroshock

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Okay so I bought this from new egg

HIS Hightech HX70Q128-3TOAN Radeon X700 128MB GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - OEM

it's no longer listed, but i threw it in my computer, didn't see a power connector and turned it on, I was then alerted with a msg that I didn't have one connected.

Well after opening up my system again I found the connector, but I couldn't find the connector on my PSU cables, I did find one that would fit but it was connected to my floppy drive so I figured i'd ask here before trying to boot it up with that connected.

enforcerfx

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2006
Um, Yea uh, Why would you take a Floppy cable and put it into a AGP connector? Consider looking for a 4 pin cable. Pretty thin, smaller than a regular 4 pin molex connector. I think thats what its called...

G

Are AGP connectors different from Molex and PCI-E connectors?

I bet if he needed a AGP connector, he could get a gender change off Newegg for a few $

Omnituton

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2006
Since the X700 is natively a PCI-E core using the Rialto bridge to run in AGP it does require an external power source. At the tail end of the card near the fan is a four pronged plug to plug in a floppy connector.

...or in other words if the shoe fits...

Don't forget to disable your floppy drive though or you will have boot up problems..

all the best.

hydroshock

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
alright awsome thanks, I didn't wanna be connecting a cable with the wrong voltage haha. I was reading elsewhere that there was an adapter meant to come with it that i didn't get (it was an open box item)

Once again thanks