drummerdude

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
i came across some articles on the net on hard drive modding and i was thinking about taking an old hard drive and add a window to it. it doesnt seem difficult, its just a matter of being extra careful with the drive. i justed wanted to see if anyone has tried it before? here's a couple articles i was looking at:
http://www.overclockers.com/tips821/
http://www.techangel.co.uk/articles/hdwindow/
http://www.bp6.com/board/kb.php?mode=article&k=13

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I've never tried it. The mod certainly looks interesting, but for me, I would never be able to trust the modded drive to hold data. I barely trust brand new factory sealed drives as it is. :?

You will never know if a single speck of dust got into the drive or not, until it jams into the read/write head and corrupts a bunch of data. With that in mind, all I could do with the drive after I got the mod done and the drive put into the computer would be to store copies of completely non-pertinent data on it, which limits the visuals you can get from that drive, since I wouldn't be using it much at all.

I suppose maybe you could use it as an applications drive, where you install some games on it. That way if it goes south you can just replace it and reinstall the games. But I'd never trust one of the modded drives to my OS or important data.

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
Cool mod, I've seen something like this on thatvideosite or something, someone made a clock...

This would be cool to do, and looks pretty easy too...although I need one of those small drill things, I use a 3 inch one to cut stuff right now, so this half inch blade would be a better option...

It's a good idea to just try it on old drives for practice...

Il_palazzo

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
From what I have gathered your best chance of success is with a older 5400rpm drive. I'm not sure if any moder has gotten it to work with a 7200rpm drive yet, as newer drives are highly sensitive to dust contamination. Linear1's guides are also a good read, and on that thought isn't the hard drive in the original Xbox 5400rpm. :p

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
From what I have gathered your best chance of success is with a older 5400rpm drive. I'm not sure if any moder has gotten it to work with a 7200rpm drive yet, as newer drives are highly sensitive to dust contamination. Linear1's guides are also a good read, and on that thought isn't the hard drive in the original Xbox 5400rpm. :p

Well dust won't be that much of importance, just run the fan in your room for a minute, then let the dust settle for an hour, and don't open the door, then just turn the hard drive upside down so that dust can't fall into it. :)

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
You're not suppose to open your hard drive in the first place. If you do, then it's better be in a very clean environment as dusts might contaminate the internal components and may lead to malfunction and it's demise. Bottom line, it's not worth modding you hard drive to look like a cheap imitation of Raptor X. You can paint it and add some texture and fancy water cooling and that's about it.

Forget the clear cover mod, just do the motor change mod and replace it's motor with some industrial high-speed servos and get that thing spinning to 25,000 rpm. Trust me, you'll boot to Windows before you'll finish pushing the power button. :p

I heard a story about some dude who's hard drive was corrupted and so he took it out and clean it with the DiskDoctor. What an idiot, of course it didn't fixed it. :lol:

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
This sounds dangerous, data-wise. If system modding is plastic surgery, then hard drive modding is getting into Michael Jackson territory. :D

I guess some people are just addicted to changing things.

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
i would never put anything important on the drive. i just thought it would look cool to watch the drive work and stuff.

It's pointless dude, unless your bored....

But seriously, just try it on an old drive, let's say, 2 gigs, that works, just to test it, there is really no point other then being able to say "OMGZORZ LOOK I PUT A WINDOW ON MY HARD DRIVE I'M A 1337 CASE MODDER!!!111eleven"

Think about it, the only reason people have windows on anything is to show it off, hence the picture of the 2 hard drives with windows deliberately placed on the side of the case for picture placement, just to take a picture and show it off...cmon, this has to be the dumbest thing ever concerning casemods, this is even worse then overclocking, and I'm not a fan of that either...but in this case It gets my support for a mod worth doing...

But don't get me wrong, it's your hard drive, if you want to put a window in it, go ahead, I'm just trying to show you how pointlessly risky it is...

TRENDING THREADS