  • Worm
  • Internet
  • Windows XP
December 27, 2004 1:27:02 PM

Hey,

My pc got infected with one of the worms last night. Error message kept on
coming on and was switching my pc off after 60 seconds. Since then I have
tried connecting to the internet but no luck, now its says low or no
connectivity.

I have called my internet company who have confirmed that everything is ok
on there end. So I'm left with no access to the internet. The guy who I spoke
to thinks it may be a Winsocks error. I have never heard of this.

Can someone shed some light on this, and tell me ways i can get back on line.

Thanks

More about : worm infection

December 27, 2004 4:40:11 PM

"Jacob" <Jacob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C090FB11-972F-4A7A-BBBC-88A277F006E8@microsoft.com...
> Hey,
>
> My pc got infected with one of the worms last night. Error message kept on
> coming on and was switching my pc off after 60 seconds. Since then I have
> tried connecting to the internet but no luck, now its says low or no
> connectivity.
>
> I have called my internet company who have confirmed that everything is ok
> on there end. So I'm left with no access to the internet. The guy who I spoke
> to thinks it may be a Winsocks error. I have never heard of this.
>
> Can someone shed some light on this, and tell me ways i can get back on line.
>
> Thanks

Try doing it again, and when that messaghe pops up, type (no quotes) "shutdown -a" in start/run, and hit ok. Then go to Win Updates and get all the security updates you can, and install them. You may then want to get SP2 installed on your PC, but be sure you clean it up well beforehand.

Go here, and read the "important" links provided.

Get these (if you don't have one of a simlar of any of these items), and install, update and run them to clean up your PC.

Security software that is free and very good:

Adaware SE Personal: http://www.lavasoft.de/

AVG Anti-virus (free): http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

Zone Alarm firewall (free): http://www.zonelabs.com

CWShredder Standalone (second line item): http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_downloa...
December 27, 2004 4:40:12 PM

"Tom" wrote:

> "Jacob" <Jacob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C090FB11-972F-4A7A-BBBC-88A277F006E8@microsoft.com...
> > Hey,
> >
> > My pc got infected with one of the worms last night. Error message kept on
> > coming on and was switching my pc off after 60 seconds. Since then I have
> > tried connecting to the internet but no luck, now its says low or no
> > connectivity.
> >
> > I have called my internet company who have confirmed that everything is ok
> > on there end. So I'm left with no access to the internet. The guy who I spoke
> > to thinks it may be a Winsocks error. I have never heard of this.
> >
> > Can someone shed some light on this, and tell me ways i can get back on line.
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> Try doing it again, and when that messaghe pops up, type (no quotes) "shutdown -a" in start/run, and hit ok. Then go to Win Updates and get all the security updates you can, and install them. You may then want to get SP2 installed on your PC, but be sure you clean it up well beforehand.
>
> Go here, and read the "important" links provided.
>
> Get these (if you don't have one of a simlar of any of these items), and install, update and run them to clean up your PC.
>
> Security software that is free and very good:
>
> Adaware SE Personal: http://www.lavasoft.de/
>
> AVG Anti-virus (free): http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/
>
> Zone Alarm firewall (free): http://www.zonelabs.com
>
> CWShredder Standalone (second line item): http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_downloa...

Hey Tom,

Thanks for replying. Thing is I have sp2 already installed and adware
aswell. I ran ad aware at the time and I think it got rid of it but now my pc
does not connect to my Motorolla modem. It just says low connectivity or no
connectivity. I have downloaded the patches using a friends computer but when
I run the patches on my pc it said that i did not need them as I already had
them on there.
December 27, 2004 4:40:12 PM

In news:o GrzBOE7EHA.2032@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Tom <noway@nothere.com> typed:

> "Jacob" <Jacob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hey,
>>
>> My pc got infected with one of the worms last night. Error
>> message
>> kept on coming on and was switching my pc off after 60
>> seconds.
>> Since then I have tried connecting to the internet but no
>> luck, now
>> its says low or no connectivity.
>>
>> I have called my internet company who have confirmed that
>> everything
>> is ok on there end. So I'm left with no access to the
>> internet. The
>> guy who I spoke to thinks it may be a Winsocks error. I have
>> never
>> heard of this.
>>
>> Can someone shed some light on this, and tell me ways i can
>> get back
>> on line.
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Try doing it again, and when that messaghe pops up, type (no
> quotes)
> "shutdown -a" in start/run, and hit ok.

That will stop it from shutting down, but it doesn't remove the
worm. If he has the worm, it will still be there every time he
boots. There are several ways to get rid of the worm, such as
running the program "Stinger" at http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

> Then go to Win Updates and
> get all the security updates you can, and install them.

Note that Windows security updates may prevent getting the worm,
but they don't remove it once its there.

Even he had removed the worm after issuing the shutdown command,
if he then connected to the internet long enough to get these
updates, he would very likely recontract the worm. It takes only
a very few minutes of connection without a firewall to get
infected. The critical step which you left out is immediately
enabling the Windows firewall.

But I mention these points only out of academic interest. His
situation is different. As he says "I'm left with no access to
the internet." It isn't clear what he's already done to get rid
of the worm or what his problem now is, but if he has no internet
connection, it's not as simple as just the worm being present.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> You may then
> want to get SP2 installed on your PC, but be sure you clean it
> up
> well beforehand.
>
> Go here, and read the "important" links provided.
>
> Get these (if you don't have one of a simlar of any of these
> items),
> and install, update and run them to clean up your PC.
>
> Security software that is free and very good:
>
> Adaware SE Personal: http://www.lavasoft.de/
>
> AVG Anti-virus (free):
> http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/
>
> Zone Alarm firewall (free): http://www.zonelabs.com
>
> CWShredder Standalone (second line item):
> http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_downloa...
December 27, 2004 4:40:13 PM

Hey Ken,
Thanks for your comments. When the message box initially came up it shutdown
my computer. That happened a couple of times. So the 3rd time I ran AdAware
and it seemed to get rid of the error message but then i tried logging on the
net but it came up with the message saying i had low or No connectivity. I
have no access to the internet what so ever so i cant download anything. So
Im having to go to friends house to download from Microsoft, but all the
patches I have downlaoded so far are not any use as I already have them

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> [...]
> of the worm or what his problem now is, but if he has no internet
> connection, it's not as simple as just the worm being present.

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

> > You may then
> > want to get SP2 installed on your PC, but be sure you clean it
> > up
> > well beforehand.
> >
> > Go here, and read the "important" links provided.
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...
> >
> > Get these (if you don't have one of a simlar of any of these
> > items),
> > and install, update and run them to clean up your PC.
> >
> > Security software that is free and very good:
> >
> > Adaware SE Personal: http://www.lavasoft.de/
> >
> > AVG Anti-virus (free):
> > http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/
> >
> > Zone Alarm firewall (free): http://www.zonelabs.com
> >
> > CWShredder Standalone (second line item):

Anonymous
December 27, 2004 5:16:31 PM

You might want to try this:

Nepatsfan

> "Tom" wrote:
>

>> "Jacob" <Jacob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hey,
>> >
>> > My pc got infected with one of the worms last night. Error
>> > message kept on
>> > coming on and was switching my pc off after 60 seconds.
>> > Since then I have
>> > tried connecting to the internet but no luck, now its says
>> > low or no
>> > connectivity.
>> >
>> > I have called my internet company who have confirmed that
>> > everything is ok
>> > on there end. So I'm left with no access to the internet.
>> > The guy who I spoke
>> > to thinks it may be a Winsocks error. I have never heard of
>> > this.
>> >
>> > Can someone shed some light on this, and tell me ways i can
>> > get back on line.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >

>> Try doing it again, and when that messaghe pops up, type (no
>> quotes) "shutdown -a" in start/run, and hit ok. Then go to Win
>> Updates and get all the security updates you can, and install
>> them. You may then want to get SP2 installed on your PC, but
>> be sure you clean it up well beforehand.
>>
>> Go here, and read the "important" links provided.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...
>>
>> Get these (if you don't have one of a simlar of any of these
>> items), and install, update and run them to clean up your PC.
>>
>> Security software that is free and very good:
>>
>> Adaware SE Personal: http://www.lavasoft.de/
>>
>> AVG Anti-virus (free):
>> http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/
>>
>> Zone Alarm firewall (free): http://www.zonelabs.com
>>
>> CWShredder Standalone (second line item):
>> http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_downloa...
>>

> Hey Tom,
>
> Thanks for replying. Thing is I have sp2 already installed and
> adware
> aswell. I ran ad aware at the time and I think it got rid of it
> but now my pc
> does not connect to my Motorolla modem. It just says low
> connectivity or no
> connectivity. I have downloaded the patches using a friends
> computer but when
> I run the patches on my pc it said that i did not need them as
> I already had
> them on there.

December 27, 2004 5:37:59 PM

"Jacob" <Jacob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 78F94D5-6EC8-4D1D-B1EE-6AD2E55F42B4@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> connection, it's not as simple as just the worm being present.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

>> > You may then
>> > want to get SP2 installed on your PC, but be sure you clean it
>> > up
>> > well beforehand.
>> >
>> > Go here, and read the "important" links provided.
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...
>> >
>> > Get these (if you don't have one of a simlar of any of these
>> > items),
>> > and install, update and run them to clean up your PC.
>> >
>> > Security software that is free and very good:
>> >
>> > Adaware SE Personal: http://www.lavasoft.de/
>> >
>> > AVG Anti-virus (free):
>> > http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/
>> >
>> > Zone Alarm firewall (free): http://www.zonelabs.com
>> >
>> > CWShredder Standalone (second line item):

jacob on friends computer go here http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm download
lspfix put on floppy or cd bring home and run on your putter is small
program that repairs winsock. should restore your connection. tcp/ip can be
damaged on windows XP by removal of malware and virus lspfix will repair
that damage
December 27, 2004 7:47:22 PM

Yea Ken, well, if you also read the rest of my post, you'll see that I also stated to use an AV, Adaware, etc ot download, install. I only suggested the command to stop it during the interim.

"Ken Blake" <kblake@this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message news:eMAcboE7EHA.2012@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> [...]
> of the worm or what his problem now is, but if he has no internet
> connection, it's not as simple as just the worm being present.

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

>> You may then
>> want to get SP2 installed on your PC, but be sure you clean it
>> up
>> well beforehand.
>>
>> Go here, and read the "important" links provided.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/window...
>>
>> Get these (if you don't have one of a simlar of any of these
>> items),
>> and install, update and run them to clean up your PC.
>>
>> Security software that is free and very good:
>>
>> Adaware SE Personal: http://www.lavasoft.de/
>>
>> AVG Anti-virus (free):
>> http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/
>>
>> Zone Alarm firewall (free): http://www.zonelabs.com
>>
>> CWShredder Standalone (second line item):

December 27, 2004 7:49:12 PM

If you get a chance, look and see in the Task Manager under the Processes tab, and check that maybe something is eating CPU %s. That may well be the culprit. Post back if you have the name of it, or run it through Google, and see what hits you get.

!