Celeron D? how to tell?

ckjian

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
I bought a Celeron D Desktop recently. I want to know how can I tell whether the CPU is Celeron D? The label outside the casing stated Celeron D.

But when i looked into My Computer's properties, it stated only Celeron without a "D". Furthermore, when I looked into the CPU Usage's Performance in Task Manager, there is only 1 graph instead of 2. Or is this normal for a Celeron D?

Is there any other way to tell it is a Celeron D? I suspect that I've been fooled by the store indicating it's a Celeron D but the fact it's a Celeron only. I just want to make sure that the thing i suspect is correct before i approach the store.

ckjian

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
Thank you for providing information. Luckily I didn't approach the store 1st or else I would embarrass myself. But the good thing is I'm not being fooled by the store.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
I bought a Celeron D Desktop recently. I want to know how can I tell whether the CPU is Celeron D? The label outside the casing stated Celeron D.

But when i looked into My Computer's properties, it stated only Celeron without a "D". Furthermore, when I looked into the CPU Usage's Performance in Task Manager, there is only 1 graph instead of 2. Or is this normal for a Celeron D?

Is there any other way to tell it is a Celeron D? I suspect that I've been fooled by the store indicating it's a Celeron D but the fact it's a Celeron only. I just want to make sure that the thing i suspect is correct before i approach the store.
I'd like to know who was the evil person to advice you a CeleronD?
One of its greatest weaknesses is the lack of hyperthreading, that is why you only see one graph, 100% sadly normal.

ckjian

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
Actually I asked for an economical desktop for word processing only. So he said a Celeron D is enough for my requirement. Besides I'm a newbie in computer hardware, my knowledge in hardware is very limited.

If I knew the price range between Celeron D and Pentium D isn't that huge, I would have bought Pentium D. I should have done more research before I bought the desktop.

Can anyone tell me the differences between Celeron D and Pentium D? Which one is more cost efficient?

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Just out of curiosity, which Celeron D model # do you have? Celeron Ds are not that bad really. They're excellent for doing basic stuff. Truth be told, judjing by what you say you do with a computer, a Pentium D would offer no tangible speed increase for you over the Celeron D. What you're doing just can't utilize more than one core, and your hardly stressing that Celeron the way it is. Sounds like the sales guy actually did a decent job of matching you with an ideal processor for your needs.

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Sounds like the sales guy actually did a decent job of matching you with an ideal processor for your needs.

As long as you didn't pay too much, I have to agree. If the salesperson really wanted to screw you, the worst thing they could have done was sell you an overpriced system that would've been overkill for your needs.

If all you're using your computer for is word, internet, and maybe some light multimedia applications, your computer will work fine.

ckjian

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
Below is the specification of the desktop I bought.
Intel Celeron D Processor 336 (2.8 GHz)
System Configuration ( 533MHz FSB Processors )
Original Intel® Desktop Mainboard D102GGCL Supports Pentium D, Pentium 4 with Hyper-Threading (HT), Celeron D Processors in LGA775 Socket with 1 PCI Express Slot, Serial ATA, 8 USB 2.0, 2 PCI, 2 DDR Dimm Sockets (Max 2GB).
- ATX Tower with 2 Front USB Ports and 480Watt Power Supply.
- 256MB DDR2 533 SDRAM KingMAX Brand.
- 32-64MB Real256E 3D Graphic Shared.
- 80GB rpm Western Digital WD800BB Harddisk.
- PANASONIC Brand 3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive.
- 52x SONY Brand CD-Rom Drive Model: CDU-5215.
- 56kbps CONEXANT PCI Internal Voice/Data/Fax Modem V.92.
- Realtek RTL8201BL 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet PHY
- FREE 17” ACER AC713 CRT Monitor
- AC'97 C-Media CM8761A 6-channel audio Codec on-board.
- Stereo Speakers Model No.TS-128
- A4Tech Optical Mouse & A4Tech AntiRSI PS/2 Keyboard.

COST: BND 670 (approx. USD 430)
Can someone give any comment about this? Is it too expensive?

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Well, it definitely is very low end. Not saying that it isn't good enough for your needs though, just saying it's very entry level. The good thing is that is it quite upgradeable. In the future, if you ever start playing video games or try to hook your computer up to your TV, you can upgrade to a video card, and if you need more processing power in the future, you can get a Pentium D. Looks like you probably also have a free ram slot for a ram upgrade. So it's definitely more upgradable than the old bottom of the barrel Dell (the recently killed B110).

Saying that, there are same serious misgivings with that system for the price you paid. CD-ROM drive? where's the DVD burner, or at least a DVD/CD-RW combo? Anymore the combo drive is pretty much the standard for optical drives. Anything less (such CD-ROM, DVD or CD-RW only) is very outdated. Some may have a problem with the 256MB of ram, but for what you do, it's not going to hurt you much. Still, 512MB of ram would be considered a decent amount of ram for an entry to mid-level computer (most people on these forums use 1GB to 2GB, but they're also enthusiasts). The CRT moniter is also quite old anymore. Almost all new system sell with a flat panel LCD. To be honest, in the States one could get a slightly better equipped computer from one of the big retailers for roughly the same price. Here's an example:

http://www.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/hot_offers_dt?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

Granted, your computer comes with things that most new computers don't usually come with anymore, such as a floppy drive and a modem, so it should be factored into the cost of the unit, but overall the system you pruchase seems to be just a bit high on the price when compared to some of the big American retailers offerings. However, prices in your country may be different. Another thing not discussed is warranty. Most big name computer sellers offer very little warranty. If your computer comes with a pretty lengthy warranty and readily accessible customer service people, then that also must come into play when determining the final "value" of your computer purchase.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Thank you for providing information. Luckily I didn't approach the store 1st or else I would embarrass myself. But the good thing is I'm not being fooled by the store.

:lol: Man, that would be very embarrassing.

"Celeron D" D for dual or dumb@s$. Not you of course.

CPU-Z is a good tool cpu specs and validation.

ckjian

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
but overall the system you pruchase seems to be just a bit high on the price when compared to some of the big American retailers offerings
I agreed with that after looked at the dell example you shown me. With the amount of USD430, I could get a better computer in America. But it's too bad i'm not living in the states. Actually I live in a developing country where there are only less than 10 computer retailers' shops in the country.

The CRT moniter is also quite old anymore. Almost all new system sell with a flat panel LCD
The CRT monitor is the part of the computer I hate most. It's so HUGE and heavy. I asked the sales person before regarding the upgrading to Flat panel LCD, he said I need to add an extra of BND288 (approx. USD 180) for the LCD. That is very expensive. So at the end, I just leave as it is.

Man, that would be very embarrassing.

Yup, i know. Luckily I found this forum first before I approach or call up the sales person. I would be a "dumb@$$" if I called him up.

And Hopefully I can learn more about computer hardwares from this forum. I don't want to make myself looks stupid in-front of the sales guy.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
but overall the system you pruchase seems to be just a bit high on the price when compared to some of the big American retailers offerings
I agreed with that after looked at the dell example you shown me. With the amount of USD430, I could get a better computer in America. But it's too bad i'm not living in the states. Actually I live in a developing country where there are only less than 10 computer retailers' shops in the country.

The CRT moniter is also quite old anymore. Almost all new system sell with a flat panel LCD
The CRT monitor is the part of the computer I hate most. It's so HUGE and heavy. I asked the sales person before regarding the upgrading to Flat panel LCD, he said I need to add an extra of BND288 (approx. USD 180) for the LCD. That is very expensive. So at the end, I just leave as it is.

Man, that would be very embarrassing.

Yup, i know. Luckily I found this forum first before I approach or call up the sales person. I would be a "dumb@$$" if I called him up.

And Hopefully I can learn more about computer hardwares from this forum. I don't want to make myself looks stupid in-front of the sales guy.One thing that i find adds or subtracts from the "value" of a system, is if they give you an actual Windows CD(and or other software), or one of those damned recovery discs. At least with actual software discs, you can upgrade and/or move your software to another build...should you care to. :wink: