Tags:
  • NIC
  • Connection
  • Firewire
  • Ethernet Card
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
March 18, 2006 9:15:35 PM

What is a 1394 net adapter? 1394 is firewire right? My network connections list a LAN connection using my onboard 10/100 ethernet nic and also list my 1394 net adapter which is connected as is my ethernet nic.

More about : 1394 net adapter

March 20, 2006 12:20:02 PM

Windows XP allows you to connect computers through their firewire adapters. Sort of like the com port connections that were commonly used in a home environment before network adapters became cheap.
March 20, 2006 11:43:38 PM

Right on. Thanks
Related resources
March 21, 2006 8:14:37 AM

Almost forgot to mention.

Theoretically (theoretically – because I haven’t tried this myself just reading the specs and you never get what the specs state) a firewire connection should be faster than a fast Ethernet connection 400Mb/s>100Mb/s.
March 24, 2006 3:14:18 AM

IEEE1394 is the proper name for Firewire before apple 'branded' it :) 

You either have an onboard 1394 controller or a Soundblaster Audigy soundcard, hence it shows here.

Firewire is a theoretical 400Mb/s, Firewire-800 is (you guessed it) 800Mb/s.

USB is 12Mb/s, USB2 is 480Mb/s.

Firewire is mostly used as an alternative to USB2 for external HDDs (in most cases it performs better than USB2 despite the theoretical 80Mb/s less bandwidth. It is also used extensively in the A/V world for digital camcorders etc, and is much more widespread than USB here.

As Choknuti says, you can use Firewire to network PCs under WinXP. Its very fast, (I have used it myself) but of course the max cable run is around 10m and its only point to point, Firewire Hubs (similar to USB hubs in design) dont allow you to network more than 1 PC by it.

You can Daisy chain one computer to the next if they all have 2 or more ports, and you bridge the connections with windows tho :) 

Basically Firewire is Apples alternative to USB, and is imho superior, though it pains me to support apple...
July 31, 2007 7:47:57 AM

From what Ive read & I am not an expert the cable length should not exceed 15 feet (3M) and you need the correct connector to plug into it tho it is like a USB its Not the same.
My mobo has very definate instructions saying not to plug a normal USB conector into it as you can harm the mobo &/or other equipment connected.
I suggest you read your user book before you go playing with it,
Better Safe Than Sorry, it could be Co$tly
August 10, 2007 9:52:55 PM

Hi! Just wondering if anyone can help me with a little problem. My ethernet post which was working to connect to the net at 100mbps is now a 1394 net adapter at 400mbps and now cant connect to the net. Can anyone help me?
Hi

I have an Epox Motherboard 9NPA+Ultra.

I have a problem with the Ethernet port. When I first got my computer it was working fine connecting at 100mbps. It was a while ago it happened but its now showing that its a 1394 net adapter at 400mbps and cant get the internet. I'm not sure what I did or loaded for this to happen. I've done a clean install of Windows XP and the problem is still there. I don't think its had a bios update and not sure how to do it or which one I should update it to. Also in Device Manager under OTHER DEVICES it has a ? on all of these

Multimedia audio Controller
other PCI bridge device
PCI memory controller
SM bus controller
video controller VGA

Its running a AMD 3700+ 2.21GHz 2GB of ram with a 37Gb raptor Hard drive
7800GT
Colin
Colin
August 11, 2007 4:07:40 PM

Hey guys i'm new here and need some help. my ISP provider was a DSL company named Sympatico whom i am n longer with. However, they supplied home networking 6520 modem/router which i ended up purchasing at the end. This is a modem / router all in one device. I have now switched to rogers and want to use this same router on my cable connection, can someone please help me? if u can email me or add me to msn. btw i know this is possible since many have done this before, the only thing i have managed to do is disable the modem par of the homenetworking since i already have a rogers modem. it has a good signal and says connected but i can't browse unless i'm plugged in to the rogers modem directly without the router Please Help. Thanks in advance :) 
August 12, 2007 5:51:37 AM

Does anyone know?? Can anyone help??
November 16, 2007 4:02:27 AM

You say you can connect computers via Firewire under XP. Can you connect an XP to a non-XP machine (or verse-vica, of course)?
Anonymous
November 18, 2008 11:22:00 PM

tronblue,
i know this is a year later, but have you disabled the 1394 in device manager? this solved my prob early 2007.
December 18, 2008 1:12:04 PM

Please help. Not a techie...at all. A mom who wants to upload video to computer. bought an IEEE firewire 1394 cable but front of my Dell computer shows there is a spot "1394" but it is blocked - basically, this computer didn't come with it. Not happy. Is there a connector I can buy from 1394 cable to USB port?
February 2, 2013 8:31:23 AM

tronblue said:
Hi! Just wondering if anyone can help me with a little problem. My ethernet post which was working to connect to the net at 100mbps is now a 1394 net adapter at 400mbps and now cant connect to the net. Can anyone help me?
Hi

I have an Epox Motherboard 9NPA+Ultra.

I have a problem with the Ethernet port. When I first got my computer it was working fine connecting at 100mbps. It was a while ago it happened but its now showing that its a 1394 net adapter at 400mbps and cant get the internet. I'm not sure what I did or loaded for this to happen. I've done a clean install of Windows XP and the problem is still there. I don't think its had a bios update and not sure how to do it or which one I should update it to. Also in Device Manager under OTHER DEVICES it has a ? on all of these

Multimedia audio Controller
other PCI bridge device
PCI memory controller
SM bus controller
video controller VGA

Its running a AMD 3700+ 2.21GHz 2GB of ram with a 37Gb raptor Hard drive
7800GT
Colin
Colin