Web-site creation

My question may not necessarily be "on-topic" for this newsgroup but
you folks have been so incredibly helpful in the past for my XP
questions that I thought I'd go here to ask this:

I am thinking of creating my own web-site and since it will not be
anything TOO fancy I though I'd try and do it all myself. I am pretty
computer-literate so I thought I'd get one of the "Dummy" books and
web-creation-software and give it a try.

A friend said he is using a software program called "Front Page" from
Microsoft and if I go with that software I assume there is a book I can
buy that will walk me through all the necessary instructions, etc.

Any recommendations as to which software I should use and/or which
books to buy where I can self-teach myself to create a web-site?

I have a Sony Vaio computer with, of course, Windows XP home edition.
I thank you in advance for your attention to this query...
4 answers Last reply
More about site creation

    Post in the right newgroup please.

    Jack,
    I got "frontpage 2003 in easy steps" at barnes & noble for $10. There is
    also a tutorial at http://office.microsoft.com/training

    Jack wrote:
    > Post in the right newgroup please.
    Which one? Tell me and I'll go there...

    Good Morning shem:
    If your set on MS FrontPage run the help tutorial... It should give you an
    overview of the controls and basic SOP of the app.
    Now, about MS FrontPage... many people love this app. After all, it comes
    free in MS office and can be integrated with other office apps. But is it a
    good program? Well, not really. MS built this application around proprietary
    WebBot... Websites built with it will only run on servers supporting
    FrontPage extensions. When you create a website with FP, it is difficult to
    edit the web pages with any other editing tool. Many of the coding
    conventions used by FP do not follow the guidelines suggested by the W3C.
    By far the pest web page authoring app is Macromedia DreamWeaver. Look for a
    copy of version 4 on ebay. This older version will have everything you need
    to build a great web site at a good price ( the current ver. of DW runs
    $399, you should be able to get ver4 for less than $50). Dreamweaver is very
    well supported by a user newsgroups served by: forums.macromedia.com , the
    dreamweaver newsgroup is: macromedia.dreamweaver .

    Jeff

    <shempmcgurk@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > My question may not necessarily be "on-topic" for this newsgroup but
    > you folks have been so incredibly helpful in the past for my XP
    > questions that I thought I'd go here to ask this:
    >
    > I am thinking of creating my own web-site and since it will not be
    > anything TOO fancy I though I'd try and do it all myself. I am pretty
    > computer-literate so I thought I'd get one of the "Dummy" books and
    > web-creation-software and give it a try.
    >
    > A friend said he is using a software program called "Front Page" from
    > Microsoft and if I go with that software I assume there is a book I can
    > buy that will walk me through all the necessary instructions, etc.
    >
    > Any recommendations as to which software I should use and/or which
    > books to buy where I can self-teach myself to create a web-site?
    >
    > I have a Sony Vaio computer with, of course, Windows XP home edition.
    > I thank you in advance for your attention to this query...

Microsoft Software Windows XP Product