Changing Multiple File Names

In the "good old days of DOS" it was easy to modify a number of file names
at the same time, for example, changing all files starting with "xyz" to
start with "abc".

Is there any method under XP, other than one file at a time, to do this?

--
Jim
8 answers Last reply

    In news:226E0BF8-B635-41AC-87A9-2FE8365AA027@microsoft.com,
    Jim <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > In the "good old days of DOS" it was easy to modify a number of
    > file
    > names at the same time, for example, changing all files
    > starting with
    > "xyz" to start with "abc".
    >
    > Is there any method under XP, other than one file at a time, to
    > do
    > this?

    Most DOS commands work under Windows XP just as they used to. Go
    to a command prompt windows (Start | Run | CMD) and do it the way
    you used to.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Ken,

    Thank you, that indeed got me (mostly) what I needed. However with the ren
    command, it appears I am stuck when file names have imbedded blanks. The
    first characters can be changed and concatonated with later words, but I
    don't see a way to reintroduce a blank.

    If there is, please let me know. Even so, this alternative is still better
    than what I knew before.

    "Ken Blake" wrote:

    > In news:226E0BF8-B635-41AC-87A9-2FE8365AA027@microsoft.com,
    > Jim <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >
    > > In the "good old days of DOS" it was easy to modify a number of
    > > file
    > > names at the same time, for example, changing all files
    > > starting with
    > > "xyz" to start with "abc".
    > >
    > > Is there any method under XP, other than one file at a time, to
    > > do
    > > this?
    >

    > Most DOS commands work under Windows XP just as they used to. Go
    > to a command prompt windows (Start | Run | CMD) and do it the way
    > you used to.

    > Please reply to the newsgroup

    If you want to use a blank in a filename then just
    enclose the name in quotes.
    Hope this helps.

    Perfect -- thanks to all

    In news:48A1A635-D2CC-4683-8D20-053CAA5DB1B2@microsoft.com,
    Jim <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > Ken,
    >
    > Thank you, that indeed got me (mostly) what I needed.

    You're welcome, Jim.

    > However with
    > the ren command, it appears I am stuck when file names have
    > imbedded
    > blanks. The first characters can be changed and concatonated
    > with
    > later words, but I don't see a way to reintroduce a blank.

    Enclose the file name in quotation marks.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > If there is, please let me know. Even so, this alternative is
    > still
    > better than what I knew before.
    >
    > "Ken Blake" wrote:
    >
    >> In news:226E0BF8-B635-41AC-87A9-2FE8365AA027@microsoft.com,
    >> Jim <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >>
    >> > In the "good old days of DOS" it was easy to modify a number
    >> > of
    >> > file
    >> > names at the same time, for example, changing all files
    >> > starting with
    >> > "xyz" to start with "abc".
    >> >
    >> > Is there any method under XP, other than one file at a time,
    >> > do
    >> > this?
    >>

    >> Most DOS commands work under Windows XP just as they used to.
    >> Go
    >> to a command prompt windows (Start | Run | CMD) and do it the
    >> way
    >> you used to.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Please reply to the newsgroup

    Using dos is oneway to change file names. Here is another way to change file
    names w/out leaving windows.
    1) Go to the folder that has the files you want to change. left <click>
    first file to change.
    2) Go to the last file name to change then <shift>left<click>
    3) Now right<click> last file name to change.
    4) Go to <rename> in menu list.
    5) Edit last file name then press enter. All selected file name, with the
    exception of the last file, will be modified. Now change the last file to
    what you want.

    "Jim" wrote:

    > In the "good old days of DOS" it was easy to modify a number of file names
    > at the same time, for example, changing all files starting with "xyz" to
    > start with "abc".
    >
    > Is there any method under XP, other than one file at a time, to do this?
    >
    > --
    > Jim

    Jim
    I have the same problem, and the answers you have received look helpful.
    Unfortunately it is such a long time since I was in the DOS environment, I
    have forgotten how to make the 'global' changes in Dos.
    Please can you refresh my memory?

    Robert

    "Jim" wrote:

    > In the "good old days of DOS" it was easy to modify a number of file names
    > at the same time, for example, changing all files starting with "xyz" to
    > start with "abc".
    >
    > Is there any method under XP, other than one file at a time, to do this?
    >
    > --
    > Jim

    The steps that I used in my last post, you stay in the windows enviorment.

    "Robert" wrote:

    > Jim
    > I have the same problem, and the answers you have received look helpful.
    > Unfortunately it is such a long time since I was in the DOS environment, I
    > have forgotten how to make the 'global' changes in Dos.
    > Please can you refresh my memory?
    >
    > Robert
    >
    > "Jim" wrote:
    >

    > > In the "good old days of DOS" it was easy to modify a number of file names
    > > at the same time, for example, changing all files starting with "xyz" to
    > > start with "abc".
    > >
    > > Is there any method under XP, other than one file at a time, to do this?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jim

Microsoft Windows XP