how much g80 performance lost in a single core cpu?

BastedBoy

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Hello guys I just read some article that g80 series required more powerful cpu??
I mean I know it a foolish request but are there any benchmark a g80 on a single core and how much performance is lost (espicially in games)?.. I mean I think there a lot people out there that still has single core processor and wondering if they invest there money in the latest video card than building a new system that cost to much would be a right move.

espicially me..
------------------------------------------
AMD64 3200++
2gig drr400
MSI K8NGM2-IL (S939)

trinitron64

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
with my 2.7Ghz Sandiego I am also interested in knowing

if i were to take a guess... id say it would be minimal... or at least at the moment it is pretty minimal... as more games are made for multicore systems a are made to better utilize the multicore advantage... then i could see a significant gap forming... for the time being id say minimal... and id say thats only a guess

so lets get some linkage going on... i know some people out there have articles on this

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
Very few games at all gain any benefit from Dual Core CPUs anyway, so with a Fast single core not much.

That said, if its something like an older pentium 4, then maybe quite a bit.

Its hard to be more specific as every game puts different demands on the CPU.

BastedBoy

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
JumpingJack said:
There is no 'performance' lost --- simply the CPU bottlenecks the GPU. To give you an idea, check around at some of the review sites using an Athlon FX-62. At resolutions of 1280x1024 with full AA and FSAA, this GPU is bottlenecked by the FX-62.

Now, as most games are still singly threaded, a dual core or single core makes not much difference, it is the clock speed and architecture. Hence a 2.8 GHz AMD K8 core will bottleneck this GPU in a variety of games (not necessarily all games) at typical 1280x1024 resolutions. There is even evidence that as high as 1600x1200 there is some bottlenecking.

In short, check around, if you are planning this GPU upgrade, then to invest 600 or 700 bucks in a video card you will want or plan to get a faster CPU to match up to it.

My rule of thumb, and this has been easy to keep until G80, is you want your 3D performance bottlenecked at the GPU, as a faster CPU can be useful elsewhere (such as encoding, etc).

G80 is a rockin' product, I am looking forward to see what AMD (formerly known as ATI) has to answer.

Here the Inq, being the AMD fanboys they are, chose to pair an FX processor with this card... you can see evidence of the bottleneck in Doom3 and Serious Sam 2:
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=35618

hey i just check the site you give me and it give me sum more info... but as i can see in res 1280x1024 and 1600x1200 G80 is still in a lead even in a single core. yet in fear and oblivion games if im not miss reading it, its only 7 or 10 frames lead? if this is the result then how much will be gain if this is in a Dual Core?....

and yeh even me i still waiting for the ATi 600 to see the difference.. As my expierience as a Pc user espicially in games it make me sick buying latest piece of hardware so that i can play games in his max detail in all but still you still missing some of eye candy of the games. i think that gap between the hardware and software games is 1 yr or so?? ( just correct me if im wrong) just like now i mean one example is far cry and doom3 the day it was release all the available graphic card is so expensive and sure you can play it in max detail but i guess the frame rate and so is just in the average and the AA stuff is off :) . i hope im not missing a point or way of the point.. it sound crazy combining a powerful GPu in a low-in cpu. it just that i want my old cpu to last long and not missing much to the upcoming games so that i can choose better hardware and the price is right in the budget.

hciora999

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
I would imagine a good game to test a single core cpu and a G80 would be the elder scrolls oblivion. I wonder if one's frame rates in towns should show this ie no increase in fps in town but far better fps in the great forest.

Ycon

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Single Core means its not a Core2 and since those are the only CPUs that are able to keep pace, yes, you will "lose" performance.

G

It will hurt your 3DMark score the most 8)

But it's not the fact that you have a single core as most people stated, your 3200+ is not a top performer regardless of how many core you got.

TRENDING THREADS