Is all new hardware crap?

screwless

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
Hello. I know I'm putting this in the wrong place, but I didn't see any where it would fit perfectly. I won't be hurt if it's moved to a more appropriate location.
Anyway, I have a gripe that I was hoping an insider in the industry or some elder god of technology could validate or vanquish for me.
The crux of my question lies in the subject line...Is all hardware of varying brands and form basically poor in design and or materials nowadays compared to previous years?
I made the leap several months ago from pre-2000 computing to more modern times.
It's my own build, less than six months old. And so far I've had to return a video card, a dvd burner, a hard drive, and I'm about to return the dvd burner I just received today as-though brand new-it's already screwed up.
None of these components were absolute top of the line, nor were any of them bargain basement. There was no problem with overheating, improper handling, seeing what shape dent they'd put in my wall when thrown, etc.
I used to work for a company who did a lot of Dell warrantee replacements, and I couldn't believe what those people had to put up with. Going through 2 or three motherboards A YEAR in laptops in many cases. It's pretty bad when you inform someone who works for Dell that you've been using the same laptop board for a full year and he says "That's pretty good." BTW, if you get a Dell (especially a laptop), for the love of God...Get the warrantee.
By contrast, I have a few very old computers (P1, P2) on which every single piece of stock hardware functions to this day. The only exception being a noisy fan and a cd drive that probably just needs a cable reseated. I recently moved and had to leave some of them, but yeah...Components that have lasted for 6, 7, 8 years and may continue to...Compared to several new pieces of supposedly decent quality hardware not even making it to the six month mark, and all of the similar experiences I've seen other people have with more modern equipment.
And it's not heat. I mean, yeah, sometimes it is...But unless you basically set your computer on fire, the environment temps are not going to get high enough to damage a dvd player, for example.
So what is it? Everything that can be outsourced to countries where people will do the same work for less money is...Are components across the board being treated similarly, made from the cheapest materials possible, so the mega rich can get richer on the increased profits they reap coupled with the extra they make when people have to go out and purchase replacements?
I know that sounds a little conspiratorial, but I wouldn't find it shocking.
So anyway...This has been bothering me for a little while, and I did some googling but didn't find this topic being discussed anywhere. And I'd be really interested in hearing what other people think.
In the meantime, I'm gonna RMA my new drive, and enter the crapshoot that is finding something that doesn't sound like a weed whacker and that will last at least a year. Adios.

endyen

Splendid
Sometimes, it is just the luck of the draw. Other times, it comes from a bad psu, or mobo.
For my part, I think today's components are better than ever.
Things seemed to slide just before 2K. We were seeing mobos with capacitors that often did not last a year. Optical drives use lasers that had trouble running for more than a few hours at a time. We also only had hdd waranties that lasted one year.
A lot can be said for warranties. Most reputable companies set the waranty period @ 66% of normal life expectancy. You wont usually go wrong buying the product with the best basic waranty.
For that optic drive, I recommend Liteon or LG. They bothe have supplied me with product that lasts.
The two big companies I stay away from are Acer (Aopen) and ECS. I'm not that big on MSI as well, though I will use thier products in a pinch.
I also highly recommend Seagate drives, Asus, Abit, and Gigabyte mobos.

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
I don't know what to tell you. My experience has been that if the part(whatever it may be) works perfectly from the start, it'll generally perform for at least the next few years. Though I have have had to RMA a few DOAs.

In the last six or so years I've had only 2 motherboard failures (both VIA POS's) and one video card failure. Granted, this is from 4 different systems over that time frame, but I currently am running a 200 GB HDD that I've had for almost 3 years now, ram that I've had for 2+ years and every part on a 3+ year old Athlon XP system that I gave to my brother still works perfectly.

It's funny, I know many people who've bought branded systems (Compaq, Gateway, Dell, whatever), who've had nothing but problems. However, me and most others I know that've built their own, seem to have less issues.

Ponk

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
Afraid mate it's luck of the draw. I had a 2000+ system for 5 years and nothing went wrong with it at all, it was my own build and it's still going strong (being used by a mate at work) another system, 850 duron is still working, again, it's used as a work machine. My recent system is a 4000+ for about a year and only one thing has gone wrong on it...A faulty mobo that was DOA.

Would always recommend WD, asus, crucial, sony and LG products, they awlays seem the most reliabe (sony DVD burners are very resilant to being dropped and still working...Sorry, was drunk when dropped it)

You make a good point about pre-built system builds...They usually don't last as long as customised systems.

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Would always recommend WD, asus, crucial, sony and LG products, they awlays seem the most reliabe (sony DVD burners are very resilant to being dropped and still working...Sorry, was drunk when dropped it)
Most of the Sony's optical drivers are made by LiteOn

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Well, I've had a couple of problems with Dell laptops, but overall, it's been a decent experience. My ABS laptop's hdd just up and died on me 2 days ago... Hitachi Travelstar, not my choice, but I don't build laptops... oh well

But this is how it is, propriteary for the big compaies usually involve huge cost cutting and massive manufacturing process. The manufacturing industry has a term called six sigma, which symbolizes the point where it's not more cost-effective to increase quality than take the hit... and when you're such a large corporation, even increasing QC by .01% can cost millions...

But if you're smart, you would always do your research before you take the jump. But always rmr, if you buy a budget system, you will get a budget system, not just in performance, but also in products. All high-end components are most likely tested orders of magnitude better than the lower end, especially if the company markets it as their flagship products.

All in all, the computer industry is still maturing, and customer service and reliability are still lacking. But I still feel we've come a long way, progress is still being made on a daily basis. Just be a smart consumer, always keep up with warranties and always do research.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I believe increased competitive pressures are forcing manufactures to become creative... and that "creativity" (for lack of a better word) means making components that are more cheaply designed. 5 years ago if someone wanted to say a negative comment about Dell I would have gotten defensive... their products were really that good (IMHO) but now... I'll just mumble "Well, you get what you pay for" and leave it at that. The $3000 computer (for most of us at least) is a thing of the past and now the $500 Dell is pretty much the norm... so cheap that most people just buy new ones (like they do with TVs now) when it fails instead of having it repaired.

However, I think your case of problematic parts is unique... most people don't experience that kind of failure rate... care to list the brands that failed on you?

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Not to mention one thing could be affecting everything else, say, an unstable PSU. PSU's are probably one of the easiest components in a computer to be minimized which would create huge problems in the future.

Research is your friend.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Eh, then don't buy from that company again. Complaining about the situation doesn't really help, reading reviews to see which products seem to last, talk to friends, whatnot. Yeah, I had a bunch of stuff die on me in the past, but I had lots more continue functioning like the energizer battery. It might seem like a lot because only the people's who's stuff fails raise a ruckus, but I'm sure if all the people who bought the items and it still works posts about it, then we would all just be hearing good things.

I haven't experienced what you are talking about. My computer has been very (knock on wood) reliable. I had an issue with my motherboard, but ASUS took care of me and my computer works great again. The only part I'm not satisfied with is the bargain barrel DVD/CD-RW drive.

At my previous job we had 700 dell machines. Mostly GX150's, but also quite a few GX110's. The older 110's did fair better with parts, but the GX150's were one of those cute smaller form factors. We had mostly issues relating to fans dying (fan dies, causes the harddrive to overheat and die, etc).

I am in charge of the purchasing for my company. I have spent about $150,000 on Dell desktops in the last year. I have bought Dell Optiplex GX620's. These machines have worked awesome. I have only had 3 machines out of over a hundred that had issues.

When purchasing these machines I made it a point to NOT get the small form factor. We have the full size tower. I feel this is a great way to assure you'll have less problems during and after the warranty.

Ponk

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
Wow! never knew that! Thanks, always good to learn something new.

HHHMMM...Unsure. PC's are becoming cheaper, that's for sure and PC's are now being replaced, rather than repaired (which is a shame...And would be very expensive in terms of buying every new piece of kit that comes out)
Ouch...Have a really sharp pain in my kidney's...Ouch!

Anyway, the PC market is still maturing, but if the current trend continues, we could see it becoming like every other electronics devices...Where everything will become a throw away tech. It would be sad if it comes to that. :(

cavornex

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Your general observation that newer hardwares conk out faster than hardwares of yesteryears maybe right. Probably due to the many applications running that it tasks the system to the point of faster wear & tear.

Or the users just have to use the system more often nowadays.

Or, considering that the use of computer grows by leaps & bounds every year, manufacturers have no choice but to fan out manufacturing like a cottage industry, no matter what quality assurance is in place, they can never be the same as the original.

Best way to avoid crap hardware? Don't be a first adopter, wait for the second revision, read the reviews, check the forums, ask around and most importantly, don't be a cheap bastard and skimp on price just to get under budget. You spend less just paying the first time instead of having to deal with the headache and the wallet ache of having to get better components because you opted for the "value" ware.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I don't think it's fair to compare the Optiplex line to the Dimension line that most of us end up buying when we call Dell... any present-tense complaints I have about Dell are directed primarily at their consumer-level products... not their business line of products.

However, the hospital I work at did have a rash of failures in a specific model of Optiplex... but Dell didn't make the capacitors that were failing so I don't hold them at fault.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Everything that can be outsourced to countries where people will do the same work for less money is...Are components across the board being treated similarly, made from the cheapest materials possible, so the mega rich can get richer on the increased profits they reap coupled with the extra they make when people have to go out and purchase replacements?

I'm sorry this is a new concept for you. Ever hear of Walmart? You mentioned Dell...

Sorry to break your ship's bubble and whatever, but this is how companies operate worldwide. "Quality" isn't standard in any industry. Turn-around is how large corporations make money. Why sell you a good couch if you can buy 3 crappy ones it cost them just a few bucks to make? Ever break apart an old couch? The wood inside it is pretty much just waiting for you to jump on your couch. It would make sense to make more items out of stronger, lighter materials...why not an aluminum alloy frame couch? Why thin steel? If you want quality furniture anymore you get it custom made. When it comes to computer parts...more expensive is better, but one little internal component can stop a DVD burner or a motherboard from working right.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Best way to avoid crap hardware? Don't be a first adopter, wait for the second revision, read the reviews, check the forums, ask around and most importantly, don't be a cheap bastard and skimp on price just to get under budget. You spend less just paying the first time instead of having to deal with the headache and the wallet ache of having to get better components because you opted for the "value" ware.
Someone posted something about buying Corsair was paying for "the name" I agree, but they're standards haven't changed...the reason you pay for that name is because the name stands for quality. I know what I'm buying every time when I buy Corsair.

I totally agree with this. Oh, and I won't vouch for Dell at all. The only reason they put decent (never top quality) parts in their computers is because they outsource their tech help and it's as crappy as ever. With their newer enthusiast XPS line they've gotten a lot better with upgradeability and class though. I have to give them props for realizing they were going down the tubes.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
New technology is also more high tech, and with high tech comes complexity and with complexity comes less reliability.

Sure you can fight a battle with only slingshots (I'm talking old slingshots from Pleistocene times, a string with a pouch that you swing around) that are very reliable and not much can go wrong, but military won't use them because new tech is available, but the increased performance outweighs the increased risk of failure.

I do agree with you though, it is easy for a company to put a crap product on the shelf these days, sucks that some of them choose to do so.

I'm only 19 but have been an audiophile since I was very young, and my father is very much an audiophile as much as our family income can afford. One thing I notice in speakers/receivers/amps is that the middle of the line gear from the 80's still kicks everything from today to the curb, save the ultra high end (Eg: Wilson Audio)

I have some 1988 Bose 501's (the last of the good ones) that I picked up for $50 at a garage sale that sound unbelievable compared to a $1800 pair of JBL's (still love JBL, nothing against the company) that my uncle has. Not that you can compare the prices, but the old woman I bought them from said "Those were $400 years ago, not sure if they are worth anything now."

Sorry for the long/bad analogy, but I know where you are coming from. Just don't forget that complexity = increased rate of failure until the product is completely revised, by which time it is now obsolete :wink:

Quite true. As much as I love buying new hardware, and reviewing bleeding edge hardware, there are some risks that I just wouldn't take. Every time someone asks, "what about <insert brand>" and I've never heard of them, especially when they plan to overclock their computer, I do my best to shy them away from making that mistake.

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
I agree with you RyanMicah. I honestly am willing to pay a fair premium for something I know is going to be quality. What better example in the PC hardware circle than PSU's? I built my PC when I had little knowledge and have since gained much. (Lucky I got a good Ultra X-Connect, people report failures)

Now I and every other knowledgeable hardware junkie will always say "Never skimp on the PSU." We all know why, and we all recommend the same 8-12 companies that have good quality parts and low rates of failure. Why else pay $150 for a SeaSonic PSU when you can pick up an "Okia" of the same 650watts for $39? Quality price premium.

monkeymanuk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
My experience of Dell systems has been great. I've had 3 Dell Laptops in the last six years and all of them are going strong. I am particularly pleased with the screens.

I've just given my old 4150 to my son, it still works great, although I did break the TAB key.

The only gripe I really have with Dell systems is that when they do go wrong like a PSU going or something then it is quite expensive for the replacement parts.

I run a small Computer Services Company and recently I had a Dimension 8100 in for a new PSU which was a DELL bespoke type. The PSU was £90 ($150). Which is outrageously expensive especially when I have to add my costs on top. Otherwise the majority of Dells I get in need new HD's which is exactly what I would expect to replace.

Ponk

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2005
You lucky ********* (insert word that seems reasonable)
I have some old sony speakers that my dad had in the 70/80's, they cost him £500 when he got them and by todays standards (this is a complete kit, record, tape player and amp provided...They're so heavy! They weigh a ton!) they far exceed anything out there. I've managed to rig them up to my PC and have the most richest, crispest and gorgeous sounds ever thought of. To begin with I didn't believe him (I have some 510D cambridge soundworks) but after hearing his system I was taken!

It's a sad state of affairs that components fail, but it does happen, due to begin made as quick/cheap as poss and very little QC. Users expect alot from the money they pay for the system and they are entitled to it. Tell me this: If you brought anything else (car, fridge, AC, etc) would it fail like a PC component would? The only thing that has real issues is the electronics market (if I'm wrong, then please tell me!

akahuddy

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
That's a pretty good analogy actually...

My dad has a really old souped up stereo system. The still operable 8 track player, cassete player, record player and orange speakers date it all the way back to the late 1970's. It still sounds better than nearly anything I hear today.

The simple fact of the matter is that instead of building products that lasted and built repeat customers, we now build cheap crap that has to be replaced every couple of months or years. It's a sad world.

rick_h

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
The crux of my question lies in the subject line...Is all hardware of varying brands and form basically poor in design and or materials nowadays compared to previous years?

A very complex question. A number of dynamics are in play here. On the good side; manufacturers have increased theirs yields 10 folds in the last few years. Its hard to purchase a PC case with sharp edges anymore. All the crappy manufacturers have either increased their quality or gone out of business. Asia and remaining developing nations have all adopted the same manufacturing quality standards as the US, Japan, and Korea.

On the downside- emphasis is very strong on cost reduction resulting in cutting corners. Although that new PC case has rolled blunt edges, it's made of thinner gauge sheet metal. Semiconductor technology is pushing the envelope on physics (heat dissipation, size, etc..) causing narrow margins in operations while increasing in size and complexity. Although this complexity increases opportunity for failure, improved quality processess keep it in check.

Last, design margins have been steadily changed so that products are designed to last 3-5 years instead of 10. For heaven's sake, a computer is technically obsolete after 3-5 years. Why should it continue to operate? Unfortunately, this margin has a considerable infant mortality rate which equates to DOAs.

Obviously this answer is a two sided sword.

Rick

monkeymanuk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
You and I, the consumer have created this problem.

Let's face it, we all shop online comparing prices and generally buy from a site that has a very cheap price but looks like it will still be trading next week.

The result is that everyong is trying to undercut their competitors and as a result quality does suffer.

About 10 years ago I worked for a microfilm bureau who wanted to go digital and so they had a 1x CD writer. This thing cost us £1,500 ($2700) which is a lot of money but I know that I could plug it in today and it would still function correctly (although it does take a full 70mins to write a disc).

We live in a fast food society and we want everything the same way, we want it cheap and we want it at our convenience.

We all know that fast food whilst cheap and easily available is not very good quality, the same is true of modern electronics. Nothing is designed to last. Because next week we'll get bored and buy a new one!