goorioles747

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I want to make a wired network in my house without going straight throught the floor, and want to attach the wire to the base of the wall without screws or staples.

any suggestions?

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
If you are not going to use screws, and I will assume nails too. You could use calk, or hot glue gun, or 2 sided tape. If you have carpet, just run it under the base board. The tack strip should be about 1" from the wall. At one point you may need to cross doorway.

pip_seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I want to make a wired network in my house without going straight throught the floor, and want to attach the wire to the base of the wall without screws or staples.

any suggestions?

I take it you want to make it look good and not a jerry rigged POS....

I also assume that you don't want to rip apart the walls etc.

If that is the case then what you want is a cable raceway.

Here's a link that should help... http://www.cableorganizer.com/surface-raceways/

goorioles747

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006

any suggestions?

I take it you want to make it look good and not a jerry rigged POS....

I also assume that you don't want to rip apart the walls etc.

If that is the case then what you want is a cable raceway.

Here's a link that should help... http://www.cableorganizer.com/surface-raceways/

interesting, thanks, but thats really pricey, i need a much cheaper alternative

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006

any suggestions?

Nothing for that specific application but is there a reason why you don't want to add an "old work box" in your drywall with a nice keystone jack and face plate so it looks nice and finished?

Is your house on a basement and if so is that space finished? Can you describe your setup (i.e. where is your net connection, how many PCs and on what floors, etc.)

goorioles747

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006

any suggestions?

Nothing for that specific application but is there a reason why you don't want to add an "old work box" in your drywall with a nice keystone jack and face plate so it looks nice and finished?

Is your house on a basement and if so is that space finished? Can you describe your setup (i.e. where is your net connection, how many PCs and on what floors, etc.)

The cable modem is on the second floor (top floor) and the wireless computer is in the finished basement.
I would like to avoid drilling into our walls and would rather go around the interior or out a window and back in

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
If you want to connect from outside what I would recommend is that you use shielded cabling. Just drop it through a PVC pipe (should be cheap) and fix the pipe to your outside wall.

You might have to drill small holes in your window sills to get the cable in and out but it shouldn’t be too hard and would be neater.

riser

Illustrious
Hard to do, but might be something that would interest you. If you have forced air, you could run a Plenum grade cable through your ducts. That is, if you have a direct drop or fish tape to work it around.

graysky

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Do you *really* want a network cable running out a window into another window? That wouldn't look very nice. I wouldn't do it the way you're suggesting at all.

Do you have access in your attic? Is the area in question an interior or exterior wall? Depending on the age of your house and materials used in its construction, this may not be that difficult. If it's too much for you to take on, you can look in the phone book under the home alarm section. Those sorts of companies often run "low voltage" wires all the time. Just my two cents.

goorioles747

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
OK, thanks for your help

but, going out the window would look fine because it goes into a side yard that is covered by trees anyway.
Also, we have an attic, but it is unaccessable and calling a company would be too expensive,

PVC pipe isnt a bad idea though

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Note I suggested to PVC in order to avoid pets or others having access (biting) the wire. You still should get shielded Cat 5 for the job.

If the aesthetics of a PVC pipe bothers you, planting a bougainvillea to cover it is an option.

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
You can buy little plastic cable clips with nails to go into the wall that look pretty clean. You can get them at home depot or lowes. I know that kinda falls into the screws or staple catagory. In the long run you would be much happier just to buy the cable and outlets and run them inside the walls. I would also suggest going wireless, the ultimate in clean and ease.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I agree that wireless is the neatest solution but as the OP said the modem is on the second floor and the 2nd comp is in the basement. Even assuming that his is an “American” second floor I don’t think that wireless is going to give a strong signal.

goorioles747

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I agree that wireless is the neatest solution but as the OP said the modem is on the second floor and the 2nd comp is in the basement. Even assuming that his is an “American” second floor I don’t think that wireless is going to give a strong signal.

right, it doesnt, so we got an in wall router which now gives us 100% signal, but it a 85 year old house, the old wiring with cable internet slows it down like crazy which is why i lag

blueeyesm

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
If you don't mind my asking, why do you not want to drill through walls?

Are you renting? If so, why not talk to your landlord about modifications?