Backing up files over LAN?

have XP and an external HD I use to backup. I use the backup utility that
XP offers. I wont let me back up other computers on my home network though,
it only will allows files to be selected from the computer its runnin from.

Is there a software app that will allow me to back up files from other
computers on a small home network?

Also, the app provided by xp doesnt provide compression. It would be nice
also to have an app that would compress the data to save HD space on the
backup.

thanks for any tips.

"jtsnow" wrote:

> have XP and an external HD I use to backup. I use the backup utility that
> XP offers. I wont let me back up other computers on my home network though,
> it only will allows files to be selected from the computer its runnin from.
>
> Is there a software app that will allow me to back up files from other
> computers on a small home network?
>
> Also, the app provided by xp doesnt provide compression. It would be nice
> also to have an app that would compress the data to save HD space on the
> backup.
>
> thanks for any tips.

I use the XP backup program to back up to my secondary computer and
vice-versa. You must set up a folder on the secondary computer that is
shared. Read up on some of the procedures here.
http://www.theeldergeek.com/backup_using_wizard.htm

TRENDING THREADS