Help!! Webcam Novice Trying to Setup Security Web Cam - Th..

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
a b 8 Security
May 6, 2004 8:52:38 PM

OK

I'm having problems watching my webcam from work. I type in "MMS://[My IP
Address]:200" and when I click on Go in the browser the media player opens
up and I get a "Enter Network Password" dialogue box. The box states :

Site: [My IP Address]:200
Realm: 195.80.41.17 [Proxy]
User
Password

What is this? What is it asking me??

Thank you

Ian.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 6, 2004 9:57:35 PM

"Ian Brown" <IMBrown@NOTHANKYOUBlueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> What is this? What is it asking me??
>
> Thank you
>
> Ian.

You're being challenged with a user/password response.
Can you connect to the media server locally OK?
Can you connect to the media server from another workstation on the same
network/lan?
If you CAN connect OK, then there is an issue stopping you connecting from
home to work - most likely you're connecting via a proxy or similar....
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 6, 2004 10:17:38 PM

Just a thought - do you have a proxy set by default in internet explorer?
If your proxy is enabled, then media player will try to route via the proxy
and not go direct to ur PC.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 6, 2004 11:59:35 PM

"F1LBY" <phil@localhost.kajagoogoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Ian Brown" <IMBrown@NOTHANKYOUBlueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > What is this? What is it asking me??
> >
> > Thank you
> >
> > Ian.
>
> You're being challenged with a user/password response.
> Can you connect to the media server locally OK?
> Can you connect to the media server from another workstation on the same
> network/lan?
> If you CAN connect OK, then there is an issue stopping you connecting from
> home to work - most likely you're connecting via a proxy or similar....

Wahay, I like a challenge.

Yes I can connect locally.
On my home network, of two computer systems, I haven't tried it as I'm not
sure how.
No matter which computer I login on at work it gives me the same dialogue
box.

I think I may have mislead you with some of the information I provided. The
camera is actually situated at home and I wish to view the stream at work.
Noel, who also posts on this group can connect fine to my camera at home as
he's seen my black office chair :)

Cheers

Ian.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 7, 2004 12:10:39 AM

> Just a thought - do you have a proxy set by default in internet explorer?
> If your proxy is enabled, then media player will try to route via the
proxy
> and not go direct to ur PC.

Hiya,

No, I have no proxy settings on my computer at home, but I don't know about
our computers at work. I'll have to check that.

Ian.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 7, 2004 1:07:23 AM

"Ian Brown" <IMBrown@NOTHANKYOUBlueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
| OK
|
| I'm having problems watching my webcam from work. I type in "MMS://[My IP
| Address]:200" and when I click on Go in the browser the media player opens
| up and I get a "Enter Network Password" dialogue box. The box states :
|
| Site: [My IP Address]:200
| Realm: 195.80.41.17 [Proxy]
| User
| Password
|
| What is this? What is it asking me??
|
| Thank you
|
| Ian.

Ian, I managed to access your stream some days ago! (remember the black
chair!)
Did you change something since then?

Also. it looks like you are trying to access your stream through a proxy!
Try and see if you can access your stream when you disable the proxy!
In Internet Explorer, go to tools > Internet Options and select
"Connections"
In Connections click on "LAN Settings..." and disable "Use a proxy server
for your LAN ......"
Click on OK and OK again!
Now 1st try to access some sites (to see if you can still surf the web).. If
so.. try your cam again!
(note that whenever you put MMS:// in front of ANY address the Windows Media
Player will ALWAYS popup! Even if there is NO stream on that address!)

I'm not sure if this will fix your problem accessing your stream from work..
Again I DID manage to see your stream some days ago!

Good luck!

Noël

--
http://webcam.kijk.info
http://www.resize2mail.com

"Noël" <n03l@REMOVE-hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Ian Brown" <IMBrown@NOTHANKYOUBlueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> | OK
> |
> | I'm having problems watching my webcam from work. I type in "MMS://[My
IP
> | Address]:200" and when I click on Go in the browser the media player
opens
> | up and I get a "Enter Network Password" dialogue box. The box states :
> |
> | Site: [My IP Address]:200
> | Realm: 195.80.41.17 [Proxy]
> | User
> | Password
> |
> | What is this? What is it asking me??
> |
> | Thank you
> |
> | Ian.
> |

> Ian, I managed to access your stream some days ago! (remember the black
> chair!)
> Did you change something since then?
>
> Also. it looks like you are trying to access your stream through a proxy!
> Try and see if you can access your stream when you disable the proxy!
> In Internet Explorer, go to tools > Internet Options and select
> "Connections"
> In Connections click on "LAN Settings..." and disable "Use a proxy server
> for your LAN ......"
> Click on OK and OK again!
> Now 1st try to access some sites (to see if you can still surf the web)..
If
> so.. try your cam again!
> (note that whenever you put MMS:// in front of ANY address the Windows
Media
> Player will ALWAYS popup! Even if there is NO stream on that address!)
>
> I'm not sure if this will fix your problem accessing your stream from
work..
> Again I DID manage to see your stream some days ago!
>
> Good luck!
>
> Noël
>
> --
> http://webcam.kijk.info
> http://www.resize2mail.com

No I haven't changed a thing, it should still function fine. However, since
I couldn't view the images it produces from work I haven't turned it on.

There is no proxy settings on my system at home, there are no ticks in the
check boxes, but I'm not sure about the system I use in work, I'll have to
check tomorrow. I use Internet Explorer 5.5 on Windows 2000 at work, I'm
not quite sure where the proxy settings are, but I'll have a dig around.

Just bear in mind that I can not make any changes to the setup of the
computer I use at work as our I.T. boffins are quite protective over their
systems and network. To get e-mail and internet access I had to read books
similar in size to the Encyclopedia Britannica, and that's all the volumes
:)  and sign over my first born child.

How can I view the stream over my own mini network?? I'm not sure if you
call two computers connected via a router a network, but it sounds good.

Ian.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 7, 2004 2:15:47 AM

| "Noël" <n03l@REMOVE-hotmail.com> wrote in message
| >
| > "Ian Brown" <IMBrown@NOTHANKYOUBlueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
| > | OK
| > |
| > | I'm having problems watching my webcam from work. I type in
"MMS://[My
| IP
| > | Address]:200" and when I click on Go in the browser the media player
| opens
| > | up and I get a "Enter Network Password" dialogue box. The box states
:
| > |
| > | Site: [My IP Address]:200
| > | Realm: 195.80.41.17 [Proxy]
| > | User
| > | Password
| > |
| > | What is this? What is it asking me??
| > |
| > | Thank you
| > |
| > | Ian.
| > |

| > Ian, I managed to access your stream some days ago! (remember the black
| > chair!)
| > Did you change something since then?
| >
| > Also. it looks like you are trying to access your stream through a
proxy!
| > Try and see if you can access your stream when you disable the proxy!
| > In Internet Explorer, go to tools > Internet Options and select
| > "Connections"
| > In Connections click on "LAN Settings..." and disable "Use a proxy
server
| > for your LAN ......"
| > Click on OK and OK again!
| > Now 1st try to access some sites (to see if you can still surf the
web)..
| If
| > so.. try your cam again!
| > (note that whenever you put MMS:// in front of ANY address the Windows
| Media
| > Player will ALWAYS popup! Even if there is NO stream on that address!)
| >
| > I'm not sure if this will fix your problem accessing your stream from
| work..
| > Again I DID manage to see your stream some days ago!
| >
| > Good luck!
| >
| > Noël
| >
| > --
| > http://webcam.kijk.info
| > http://www.resize2mail.com
| >

| No I haven't changed a thing, it should still function fine. However,
since
| I couldn't view the images it produces from work I haven't turned it on.
|
| There is no proxy settings on my system at home, there are no ticks in the
| check boxes, but I'm not sure about the system I use in work, I'll have to
| check tomorrow. I use Internet Explorer 5.5 on Windows 2000 at work, I'm
| not quite sure where the proxy settings are, but I'll have a dig around.
|
| Just bear in mind that I can not make any changes to the setup of the
| computer I use at work as our I.T. boffins are quite protective over their
| systems and network. To get e-mail and internet access I had to read
books
| similar in size to the Encyclopedia Britannica, and that's all the volumes
| :)  and sign over my first born child.
|
| How can I view the stream over my own mini network?? I'm not sure if you
| call two computers connected via a router a network, but it sounds good.
|
| Ian.

Ian, the proxy story is for the computer at your work.. but as your I.T.
boffins are "a_pain_in_the_a$$" you maybe better do not change the settings!

I doubt if this will work anyway, as (if they are really Pro's) they will
have closed any "strange" port to/from the outside world

re: How can I view the stream .....

All you need to do is connect with the other PC's that are on your "mini
network" to the LAN IP (the one you fixed on the "streaming" server) with
the MMS://IP:200 command.

There is one more thing that you can try and that is to stream over port 80.
You have tested port 8080, but with that port you got the logon screen from
your router (I think). If you decide to try port 80, make sure you also
setup the router port forwarding (you will need to make a new rule)

Noël

--
http://webcam.kijk.info
http://www.resize2mail.com

> [...]
> boffins are "a_pain_in_the_a$$" you maybe better do not change the
settings!

> I doubt if this will work anyway, as (if they are really Pro's) they will
> have closed any "strange" port to/from the outside world
>
> re: How can I view the stream .....
>
> All you need to do is connect with the other PC's that are on your "mini
> network" to the LAN IP (the one you fixed on the "streaming" server) with
> the MMS://IP:200 command.
>

> There is one more thing that you can try and that is to stream over port
80.
> You have tested port 8080, but with that port you got the logon screen
from
> your router (I think). If you decide to try port 80, make sure you also
> setup the router port forwarding (you will need to make a new rule)

I will see what the proxy settings are at work. It wouldn't hurt to take a
look.

As for them being "Pro's" I think probably not.

I'll test the camera over the LAN using that info.

All change!! Yes, I'll try changing the port number again. If memory
serves port 80 is quite a common port to be used isn't it??

Ian.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 7, 2004 2:48:40 AM

"Ian Brown" <IMBrown@NOTHANKYOUBlueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
news:o gxmc.3759$M35.36499740@news-text.cableinet.net...

| "Noël" <n03l@REMOVE-hotmail.com> wrote in message
| >
| > "Ian Brown" <IMBrown@NOTHANKYOUBlueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
| > |
| > | "Noël" <n03l@REMOVE-hotmail.com> wrote in message

| > | > |
| > "MMS://[My
| > | IP
| > | opens
| states
| > :
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| black

| > proxy!
| > server
| > web)..
| > | If
Windows
| > | Media

| > | work..

| > | No I haven't changed a thing, it should still function fine. However,
| > since
| > | I couldn't view the images it produces from work I haven't turned it
on.
| > |
| > | There is no proxy settings on my system at home, there are no ticks in
| the
| > | check boxes, but I'm not sure about the system I use in work, I'll
have
| > | check tomorrow. I use Internet Explorer 5.5 on Windows 2000 at work,
| I'm
| > | not quite sure where the proxy settings are, but I'll have a dig
around.
| > |
| > | Just bear in mind that I can not make any changes to the setup of the
| > | computer I use at work as our I.T. boffins are quite protective over
| their
| > | systems and network. To get e-mail and internet access I had to read
| > books
| > | similar in size to the Encyclopedia Britannica, and that's all the
| volumes
| > | :)  and sign over my first born child.
| > |
| > | How can I view the stream over my own mini network?? I'm not sure if
| you
| > | call two computers connected via a router a network, but it sounds
good.
| > |
| > | Ian.
| > |
| > |

| > Ian, the proxy story is for the computer at your work.. but as your I.T.
| > boffins are "a_pain_in_the_a$$" you maybe better do not change the
| settings!
| >
| > I doubt if this will work anyway, as (if they are really Pro's) they
will
| > have closed any "strange" port to/from the outside world
| >
| > re: How can I view the stream .....
| >
| > All you need to do is connect with the other PC's that are on your "mini
| > network" to the LAN IP (the one you fixed on the "streaming" server)
with
| > the MMS://IP:200 command.
| >

| > There is one more thing that you can try and that is to stream over port
| 80.
| > You have tested port 8080, but with that port you got the logon screen
| from
| > your router (I think). If you decide to try port 80, make sure you also
| > setup the router port forwarding (you will need to make a new rule)
| >
| > Noël
| >
| > --
| > http://webcam.kijk.info
| > http://www.resize2mail.com
| >

| I will see what the proxy settings are at work. It wouldn't hurt to take
| look.
|
| As for them being "Pro's" I think probably not.
|
| I'll test the camera over the LAN using that info.
|
| All change!! Yes, I'll try changing the port number again. If memory
| serves port 80 is quite a common port to be used isn't it??
|
| Ian.

Yep.. Port 80 is used by your web browser to surf the web!

Also.. if you change your port to 80 you will need to access your stream
with mms://IP:80
From your work you will need to use your internet IP. On your mini network
you will need to use the LAN IP

Good luck!

Noël

--
http://webcam.kijk.info
http://www.resize2mail.com

> [...]
> | > your router (I think). If you decide to try port 80, make sure you
also
> | > setup the router port forwarding (you will need to make a new rule)
> | >
> | > Noël
> | >
> | > --
> | > http://webcam.kijk.info
> | > http://www.resize2mail.com
> | >

> | I will see what the proxy settings are at work. It wouldn't hurt to
take
> | look.
> |
> | As for them being "Pro's" I think probably not.
> |
> | I'll test the camera over the LAN using that info.
> |
> | All change!! Yes, I'll try changing the port number again. If memory
> | serves port 80 is quite a common port to be used isn't it??
> |
> | Ian.
> |

> Yep.. Port 80 is used by your web browser to surf the web!
>
> Also.. if you change your port to 80 you will need to access your stream

I haven't changed the port yet as I thought I would look at the proxy
settings within my web browser at work first.

It was quite strange testing it over my mini LAN. While I was watching the
stream on my other computer my son decided to make a fool of himself in
front of the camera. There is just enough delay in the stream that when he
ran to the room I was in, it almost appeared as if he was in two places at
the same time.

Ian.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
May 8, 2004 3:47:38 AM

| > Ian, the proxy story is for the computer at your work.. but as your I.T.
| > boffins are "a_pain_in_the_a$$" you maybe better do not change the
| settings!
| >
| > I doubt if this will work anyway, as (if they are really Pro's) they
will
| > have closed any "strange" port to/from the outside world
| >
| > re: How can I view the stream .....
| >
| > All you need to do is connect with the other PC's that are on your "mini
| > network" to the LAN IP (the one you fixed on the "streaming" server)
with
| > the MMS://IP:200 command.

Ian,

I had a small peek again at your cam, and did manage to connect to it with
now problem!
Not sure who it was behind it, but she was wearing glasses and making a
phone call at the time :-)

Did you manage to access it from your work?

Noël

--
http://webcam.kijk.info
http://www.resize2mail.com

> | > Ian, the proxy story is for the computer at your work.. but as your
I.T.
> | > boffins are "a_pain_in_the_a$$" you maybe better do not change the
> | settings!
> | >
> | > I doubt if this will work anyway, as (if they are really Pro's) they
> will
> | > have closed any "strange" port to/from the outside world
> | >
> | > re: How can I view the stream .....
> | >
> | > All you need to do is connect with the other PC's that are on your
"mini
> | > network" to the LAN IP (the one you fixed on the "streaming" server)
> with
> | > the MMS://IP:200 command.
> | >

> Ian,
>
> I had a small peek again at your cam, and did manage to connect to it with
> now problem!
> Not sure who it was behind it, but she was wearing glasses and making a
> phone call at the time :-)
>
> Did you manage to access it from your work?
>
> Noël
>
> --
> http://webcam.kijk.info
> http://www.resize2mail.com

Hiya,

That was my other half you saw there. She always seems to be on that phone.
I sometimes wonder if it's glued to her ear :)

I didn't have a great deal of time today to test it in work. I actually had
to do some real work, what a cheek eh?

What I did find out, however, was that there is a proxy server, it specified
an IP address and port 8000 on the LAN Settings of the Connection tab.

I unchecked this box and tried to visit a web site. It worked just fine.
Unfortuanately when I typed in MMS://.......... I got two password dialogue
boxes, but I can't remember what they were now, I didn't have enough time to
take notes, I was called away.

On Monday I will try again and see what it actually states in the dialogue
boxes and make a note.

My project will have to continue on Monday.

Ian.
!