NeilV

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Sorry, Just a ploy to get you interested.

Anyone following my posts will know that I recently bought a Saprkle 7600GS 512 AGP. I have since managed a small ram upgrade to 768Mb.

So I now have the following
Celeron 2.4Ghz (Weak Link)
ASRock P4 Combo MOBO
768mb DDR running @ pc2100 (because of the damn processor)
Sparkle 7600GS 512mb AGP
Windows XP SP1

I have had numerous problems with drivers and have settled on NGOHQ (which work) and elected for the optimum clock settings as tested by the drivers.

The Problem. :(
@ the weekend playing KotOR II at max settings (except Res cos my monitor won't go above 1152) I experienced huge Atrifacts making the game unplayable. I saved & exited and checked Temp on the card 65C, not to hot but hotter than I have ever seen it before.

Looking @ the diags on the drivers the small grid which gives settings for MOBO, OS & card says 8x for MOBO, 2x for OS & 8x for card. is this the issue? is my OS bottlenecking my card? Can anyone help? Is there anyone out there? :oops: Sorry, getting carried away. OK WHO SAID "I WISH YOU WOULD BE" :evil:.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D :D

Cheers All
NeilV

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
You did say max setting and artifacting, that's more likely a heat issue. Try opening your pc and place a fan pointed at that graphics then try playing again. Let me know the outcome.

atlas1076

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I have experienced the same artifacting you before mentioned when going with the preset video card over clocks. What I found solved the problem was to back down the video memory over clock a bit. It solved my problem maybe it can solve yours. 8)

MAK-Daddy32

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
I've seen the same thing and solved it in the same way. I believe the "optimal" clock settings basically ramp up the speed a little at a time testing for stability and stopping when they hit a problem. The issue is, they only test the settings for a few seconds, so, when you game for an extended period of time, the card can't handle it.

crazyj

Distinguished
May 10, 2004
The KOTOR games (both I and II) are both buggy as hell. They're enjoyable games, but I've had numerous problems while playing through them multiple times. Mostly with sound though. My point is they're not the most reliable games to test on. But like the people above me said, artifacting is usually due to heat.

NeilV

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I say it's a good reason to tap the bank account and build a new rig! :wink: See how the significant other feels about that...

I think the merest suggestion would result in her having TWO new decorations for the Xmas tree. :lol: :lol:

Especially since the 7600GS in question is an early Xmas present :( .

Looks like it's more cooling for me 8) 8) 8)

see more cooling. Get IT :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops:

Thanks for all submissions though

Cheers
Neil

monkeymanuk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Firstly, why are you only on SP1???????

Second, if your card shows artefacts at default settings then you should RMA it. If the supplier wont accept that it has a problem then you need to get Nvidia involved.

This is a major annoyance with buying stuff online these days. If they simply plug the device in and it works as expected then as far as they are concerned there is no problem. They DO NOT check the card works in gameplay at high resolutions.

Sometimes it is worth buying it locally for a few extra pennies so that you can go and shout at the idiots behind the counter.

Send it back.

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Wheres the free stuff?

Well as I said @ the top it was just a ploy but nothing is as valuable as information so I suppose you did get some free stuff. :lol: :lol: :roll:

So wait, there's no free stuff? I guess nothing in life is free. Speaking of which, you could buy a cheapo mobo and my Athlon64 3000+ I'll sell it to you for $50, shipping included. :p Socket 939, not AM2, still...a lot better than what you have. AM2 would most likely cause you to use DDR2, this way you can keep your RAM.

NeilV

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Yes. The whole point of having a topic is to let us know the subject of the post... this dipshit obviously knows that and still chooses to be dishonest about it.

Well I must Heartily apologise. :oops: :oops:

I appears that what I thought was a bit of fun, has infact offended some people. :eek: I just thought anyone reading a topic such as "Free Stuff" wouldn't really expect to find some free stuff. My Bad. :(

I appreciate any help anyone reading this forum can provide and didn't mean to cause offence. :!: :!:

I reply to the question "Why am I still on SP1?", it is because when I installed SP2 both my version of Office 2000 & Nokia PC suite (latest version) refused to work, I removed & re-installed Nokia PC suite with NO Joy and I do not intend to buy a new version of Office when 2000 is perfectly adequate for my needs. So I rolled back SP2.

Thanks for the interest.

Neil V

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Office 2000 Premium works fine on both my XP SP2 machines. I think installing SP2 again is worth the risk... I can't account for that other program, but Office 2000 SHOULD be fine.

lordaardvark2

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2005
I recently bought a Saprkle 7600GS 512 AGP

wtf is a saprkle? are they cheep? do they offer a discount for misspellings? lol. just playin.

i have sp2 and office 2000 living harmoniously within the same hdd. they're great friends, actually. idk why yours won't play nice... maybe you should spank them. and if that doesn't work, try uninstalling office and putting it on after sp2?? idk why that would work, but it sure did work for me. i got sp2, and then office, with no hitches. i'm really sorry that its not workin out for you, tho.

NeilV

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I recently bought a Saprkle 7600GS 512 AGP

wtf is a saprkle? are they cheep? do they offer a discount for misspellings? lol. just playin.

I don't think they go 'CHEEP' although in Fable I DO keep being called Chicken Chaser. Until I get the thing working properly I refuse to advertise for them so I rearranged the name to protect the innocent (and if you believe that you will believe anything-ED.)

Does anyone know if the AGP setting for the OS should read 2x on the NVidia drivers tab?

Thanks All :lol: :lol:
Cheers
NeilV