Core 2 Duo mobo with legacy HDD compatibility

cornelius1729

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
I'm about to upgrade my system to a Core 2 Duo setup, and I need some help choosing a motherboard. I have a couple of UltraATA hard drives with data on that I'd like to keep, but it seems that the newer mobos only support SATA drives.

I'll most likely get a new drive for my operating system so I need SATA support as well. Are there any high performance dual support boards out there so I can reuse my older hard drives?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

qrhetoric

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
From Newegg:
ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

The key here is that it has 2 PATA channels (each of which handles 2 drives), which will support 2 older hard drives, plus 2 DVD writers, plus SATA hard drives.

Good luck!

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I'm about to upgrade my system to a Core 2 Duo setup, and I need some help choosing a motherboard. I have a couple of UltraATA hard drives with data on that I'd like to keep, but it seems that the newer mobos only support SATA drives.

I'll most likely get a new drive for my operating system so I need SATA support as well. Are there any high performance dual support boards out there so I can reuse my older hard drives?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
The other way around this is to just get the motherboard that really appeals to you, and use an ATA controller card. GL :)

cornelius1729

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
Thanks for the ideas guys. That ASUS board does look pretty sweet, but it seems like the P965 boards are cheaper than the 975X ones, so I may plump for the controller card option.

Decisions, decisions!

I guess my next question is - Why are the P965 mobos so much cheaper than the 975X ones, when they are supposed to have higher performance? Or is it just that there aren't really any entry level 975X boards around?