Sign in with
Your question

Wrong Bios flash please help

Last response: in Overclocking
November 21, 2006 2:57:12 PM

Hi all
I have a BFG 7950 gt 512 ram oc 565/1430,bios ver. 5.71.22.42.01
it has the infinium 1.4 ms ram , stock volts 2d 1.25v 3d 1.25v inbios has option for 1.35 volts for both 2d,3d when enabled was able to oc this baby to 650/1600 stable :D  I have a zalman cooler and ram sinks on it also
under load 65c max idle 42 to 43c
Was feeling pretty good about this card an figured I try different bios's on it
looking back now........DUMB.
I flashed a xfx 7900 gt/gto 560/1650 bios ver. 5.71.22.12.01 2d/3d volts 1.2v over my BFG 7950 gt card. Now I am unable to see my screen looks like the matrix is running on it.
I have tried flashing back to the original bios,went to mvktech site they have a guide for emergency flash disks. I made the disk but the flash is not taking my card reads as a xfx 7900 gto
can anyone help me

More about : wrong bios flash

November 21, 2006 5:19:13 PM

If i could even afford a $300 GPU I definately wouldnt be trying to fubar it for what 5-10 fps in a few select games??? Considering the fps is already way above what can even be discerned by the human eye. If ya wanted a XFX 7900gt why didnt ya buy it? The BFG was almost the same price I am willing to bet. Next time ya feel like wasting a very fast card send it to me lol I will give it a good safe home.

Hacker91
November 21, 2006 5:39:01 PM

yea yea yea
I know fubar bigtime
now please reverse time so I can have my card back.................PLEASE :?
Just my nature to push till I cant push no more.
So I guess Im back to my little card that could (6600gt)
is there really no hope to try and reflash ?
Related resources
November 21, 2006 6:45:48 PM

depending on the type of flash chip it has, you might see if if you can get a replacement firmware chip but that takes some soldering skills to remove and replace without buggering the whole card. it's a choice between throwing away an expensive card or not.
November 21, 2006 9:49:55 PM

Maybe if you word it right to the RMA department, BFG will send you a new one.

"Oh, my card stopped working!"

Act dumb, and you may get a new one. I know, its a crappy thing to do, but its worth a shot, as you aren't bringing that card back to life. Make sure to read the warranty page very in depth, and you may want to omit the fact that you flashed the wrong bios. If worst comes to worst, you can ask if they know of any way to fix it on the fly.

And learn your lesson: Only flash the bios if you are ABSOLUTELY sure that it is the EXACT right bios for your card. Sometimes you can get away with it, but its not worth it with expensive components. Oh, and it won't net any performance gains, unless the original bios is buggy or its a specially modified bios for that specific make/model/rev so that it changes speeds or something.
November 22, 2006 10:55:36 AM

I have an rma setup with bfg now
problem is when they look at the bios it will read as an xfx card
But I will act dumb( little acting involved)
Hope the computer gods are with me
November 25, 2006 1:17:27 AM

Quote:
I have an rma setup with bfg now
problem is when they look at the bios it will read as an xfx card
But I will act dumb( little acting involved)
Hope the computer gods are with me

BFG Tech is nice. I give you like a 25% chance of getting it a new one :D  Best of luck though.
!