XP/ME Network problem

I have two machines that I would like to network using a crossover cable but
am having problems.

Basically, I can't get the 2 Machines to see each other.

I have run Network Setup wizards to no avail. I have scoured the net for a
way to solve my problems and tried numerous suggestions, still no luck.

Many places on the Net state that setting up a simple network between two
Windows machines using a crossover cable is easy!!! I have considered buying
a Hub but for all I know (not a lot but learning fast) I may well be no
better off. Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Here are the details:

Machine 1

OS: XP Home

NIC:

VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adaptor (built into the Motherboard).

Selecting properties of the NIC in Device Manager, the settings are as
follows:

Advanced Tab:

Adaptive Interrupt: Enabled

Connection Type: Auto-Negotiation

Flow Control: Hardware Default (Auto)

Network Address: Not Present

Receive Buffers: 64

Transmit Buffers: 64

When viewed through Network Connections it shows:

Name: Local Area Connection

Type: LAN or High-Speed Internet

Device Name: VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adaptor

If I right-click on this it shows the following Local Area Connection
Properties:

General Tab: Client for Microsoft Networks (ticked)

File & Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
(ticked)

Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) (ticked)

Properties for this are:

Use the following IP Address: (Selected)

IP Address: 192.168.0.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: Blank

Use the following DNS server address: (Selected)

Preferred DNS Server: Blank

Alternate DNS Server: Blank

Authentication Tab: Enable IEEE 802.1x. (ticked)

EAP Type: Smart Card or other
certificate

Authenticate as computer when computer
information is available (ticked)

Authenticate as guest when user or
computer is unavailable (ticked)

Full Computer Name: MACHINE1

Workgroup: MACHINES

IPCONFIG Results:

Windows IP Configuration:

Host Name: Machine1

Primary DNS Suffix: Blank

Node Type: Unknown

IP Routing Enabled: No

WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet adaptor Local Area Connection:

Ethernet Adaptor

DHCP Enabled: No

IP Address: 192.168.0.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Various drives/folders are set as Shared

Firewall is off.

This machine also has a ADSL Broadband Internet connection via a USB Modem

Machine 2

OS: WinME

NIC:

SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1211TX)

When I select Network within Control Panel the following is displayed:

Configuration Tab: Client for Microsoft Networks.

Properties for this are: Logon and
restore Network connections (selected)

Microsoft Family Logon

SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1211TX)

Properties for this are:

Driver Type Tab. Click the type of the
network driver to use:

All greyed out - nothing selected

Bindings Tab: TCP/IP (ticked)

Advanced Tab: Link Speed/Duplex Mode: Auto Mode

Network Address: Not present

TCP/IP

Properties for this are:

IP Address Tab: Specify an IP Address (selected)

IP Address: 192.168.0.2

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

WINS Config Tab: Disable WINS Resolution

Gateway Tab: All Blank

DNS Config Tab: Disable DNS

NetBIOS Tab: All greyed out but 'I want to enable NetBIOS over
TCP/IP protocol' is selected

Advanced Tab: Allow binding to ATM. Yes is selected

Bindings Tab: Client for Microsoft Networks (ticked)

File and Printer sharing for MS Networks
(ticked)

MS Family Logon (ticked)

File and Printer sharing for MS Networks

Properties for this are:

Browse Master: Automatic

LM Announce: No

Full Computer Name: MACHINE2

Workgroup: MACHINES

Various drives/folders are set as Shared

Firewall is off.

IPCONFIG Results:

Windows IP Configuration:

Host Name: Machine1

DNS Servers: Blank

Node Type: Broadcast

NetBIOS Scope ID: Blank

IP Routing Enabled: No

WINS Proxy Enabled: No

NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS: No

0 Ethernet Adaptor:

DHCP Enabled: No

IP Address: 192.168.0.2

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Primary WINS Server: Blank

Secondary WINS Server: Blank
14 answers Last reply
More about network problem

    In article <cqq4hd$c6r$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>, bh@hb1.com, Ben Hardy
    says...

    > I have two machines that I would like to network using a crossover cable but
    > am having problems.
    >
    > Basically, I can't get the 2 Machines to see each other.
    >
    > I have run Network Setup wizards to no avail. I have scoured the net for a
    > way to solve my problems and tried numerous suggestions, still no luck.
    >
    > Many places on the Net state that setting up a simple network between two
    > Windows machines using a crossover cable is easy!!! I have considered buying
    > a Hub but for all I know (not a lot but learning fast) I may well be no
    > better off. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
    >
    > Here are the details:

    It appears that "Family Logon" on ME may be the culprit....Switch it to
    network. Unless of course this was already suggested..... ;0(

    Hi Ben,

    Just a few thoughts...
    I have purchased crossover cables that were not configured properly. Have
    you tried another crossover cable?

    I saw where something about one of your network card drivers choice was
    greyed out. That could be an indicator that something is not right.

    The client should be the same, i.e., both set for Client for Microsoft
    Networks.

    When you set up your primary computer for a home netowrk, did you make a
    disk to use on the ME computer? If not, try that. The disk will assist in
    getting the ME computer ready for networking with XP.

    If you are pretty well stymied, do you know someone you can trust to take a
    look at it for you?

    Check your CONTROL PANEL, SYSTEM, HARDWARE, DEVICE MANAGER, NETWORK ADAPTERS
    on each computer and see if any errors are reported.

    Excellent book to get: Microsoft Windows XP Networking Inside Out, by Curt
    Simmons.

    If none of this helps, let me know.

    Bill

    P.S. I'm a Senior LAN Administrator with the State of Indiana. I will assist
    in any way I can.

    "Ben Hardy" wrote:

> [...]
    >
    > Properties for this are:
    >
    > IP Address Tab: Specify an IP Address (selected)
    >
    > IP Address: 192.168.0.2
    >
    > Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    >
    > WINS Config Tab: Disable WINS Resolution
    >
    > Gateway Tab: All Blank
    >
    > DNS Config Tab: Disable DNS
    >
    > NetBIOS Tab: All greyed out but 'I want to enable NetBIOS over
    > TCP/IP protocol' is selected
    >
    > Advanced Tab: Allow binding to ATM. Yes is selected
    >
    > Bindings Tab: Client for Microsoft Networks (ticked)
    >
    > File and Printer sharing for MS Networks
    > (ticked)
    >
    > MS Family Logon (ticked)
    >

    > File and Printer sharing for MS Networks
    >
    > Properties for this are:
    >
    > Browse Master: Automatic
    >
    > LM Announce: No
    >

    > Full Computer Name: MACHINE2
    >
    > Workgroup: MACHINES
    >

    > Various drives/folders are set as Shared

    you have answered your own question. you state that your cable sheath
    says 'patch'. this is not a crossover. get a true crossover cable or
    get a hub or router/switch and use your patch cables. hate to say it
    but you need to read into what you are doing.

    Hi,
    Well, on the ME machine I have both Client for MS Networks and MS Family
    Logon
    Do you mean I should remove MS Family Logon?

    "ByTor" <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote in message
    > In article <cqq4hd$c6r$1@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>, bh@hb1.com, Ben Hardy
    > says...
    >
    >> I have two machines that I would like to network using a crossover cable
    >> but
    >> am having problems.
    >>
    >> Basically, I can't get the 2 Machines to see each other.
    >>
    >> I have run Network Setup wizards to no avail. I have scoured the net for
    >> way to solve my problems and tried numerous suggestions, still no luck.
    >>
    >> Many places on the Net state that setting up a simple network between two
    >> Windows machines using a crossover cable is easy!!! I have considered
    >> buying
    >> a Hub but for all I know (not a lot but learning fast) I may well be no
    >> better off. Any suggestions would be most welcome.
    >>
    >> Here are the details:
    >>

    > It appears that "Family Logon" on ME may be the culprit....Switch it to
    > network. Unless of course this was already suggested..... ;0(

    In article <cqq6f8$pc4$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, bh@hb1.com, Ben Hardy
    says...

    > Hi,
    > Well, on the ME machine I have both Client for MS Networks and MS Family
    > Logon
    > Do you mean I should remove MS Family Logon?

    You don't neccessarily have to remove it just switch to it, use that
    instead. You'll have to forgive me it's been quite awhile since I used a
    crossover but I'll continue to help & re-review your settings if this
    does not help.........But, technically "both" computers should be using
    "network logon"

    Thanks for your advice.
    Err, how do I 'switch to it"

    > In article <cqq6f8$pc4$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, bh@hb1.com, Ben Hardy
    > says...
    >
    >> Hi,
    >> Well, on the ME machine I have both Client for MS Networks and MS Family
    >> Logon
    >> Do you mean I should remove MS Family Logon?
    >
    > You don't neccessarily have to remove it just switch to it, use that
    > instead. You'll have to forgive me it's been quite awhile since I used a
    > crossover but I'll continue to help & re-review your settings if this
    > does not help.........But, technically "both" computers should be using
    > "network logon"

    In article <cqq7e0$c5k$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, bh@hb1.com, Ben Hardy
    says...
    > Thanks for your advice.
    > Err, how do I 'switch to it"

    > "ByTor" <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote in message
    > > In article <cqq6f8$pc4$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, bh@hb1.com, Ben Hardy
    > > says...
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >> Well, on the ME machine I have both Client for MS Networks and MS Family
    > >> Logon
    > >> Do you mean I should remove MS Family Logon?
    > >
    > > You don't neccessarily have to remove it just switch to it, use that
    > > instead. You'll have to forgive me it's been quite awhile since I used a
    > > crossover but I'll continue to help & re-review your settings if this
    > > does not help.........But, technically "both" computers should be using
    > > "network logon"

    down area under all your protocols you will see "Primary Network Logon"
    switch it to "Clients for MS Networks"

    Bare with me as I'm not working off of a ME partition to give exact
    details....It's been awhile.

    In article <cqq7e0$c5k$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, bh@hb1.com, Ben Hardy
    says...

    Have you seen this site yet.....It's def informative.

    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/

    Oh yeah, I scoured that site earlier but it's still not working here.
    I tried your last suggestion re: Client for MS Networks and MS Family Logon
    but no luck - I can't ping one machine from the other.
    I've checked out the crossover cable and it's ok
    I tried 2 different NICs in the WinME machine (both cards worked on other
    machines)
    > In article <cqq7e0$c5k$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, bh@hb1.com, Ben Hardy
    > says...
    >
    > Have you seen this site yet.....It's def informative.
    >
    > http://www.windowsnetworking.com/

    In article <cqqa7l$c5k$2@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, bh@hb1.com, Ben Hardy
    says...

    > Oh yeah, I scoured that site earlier but it's still not working here.
    > I tried your last suggestion re: Client for MS Networks and MS Family Logon
    > but no luck - I can't ping one machine from the other.
    > I've checked out the crossover cable and it's ok
    > I tried 2 different NICs in the WinME machine (both cards worked on other
    > machines)

    Found this for ya might me muuuuuch more informative:

    If you have adobe installed:

    http://www.cellarstoneindia.com/cable_pdf/LanCrossOverCableConnection%20
    (95-98-MeToXP).pdf

    If not go to www.google.com In the search field type:

    Windows ME and XP crossover cable networking

    9th link down "Windows 95/98/Me To Windows XP"
    Click view as HTML

    It's actually quite good, as I feel you may not be "manually" assigning
    IP addresses correctly and all that blah......Crossover connections are
    a pain. I believe you stated you have DSL/High Speed Cable?
    Why not invest a few bucks & buy your self a router.....Both machines
    will have internet, and it will configure the network for you
    automatically as far as addresses.........I first started with
    crossover, than ran out & bought a router. There is no need for a hub as
    the routers(most)function dually.

    In article <V43Ad.9189$m56.1499@fe74.usenetserver.com>,
    ByTor@snowdog.com, ByTor says...
    > In article <cqqa7l$c5k$2@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, bh@hb1.com, Ben Hardy
    > says...
    >
    > > Oh yeah, I scoured that site earlier but it's still not working here.
    > > I tried your last suggestion re: Client for MS Networks and MS Family Logon
    > > but no luck - I can't ping one machine from the other.
    > > I've checked out the crossover cable and it's ok
    > > I tried 2 different NICs in the WinME machine (both cards worked on other
    > > machines)
    >
    > Found this for ya might me muuuuuch more informative:
    >
    > If you have adobe installed:
    >
    > http://www.cellarstoneindia.com/cable_pdf/LanCrossOverCableConnection%20
    > (95-98-MeToXP).pdf
    >
    > If not go to www.google.com In the search field type:
    >
    > Windows ME and XP crossover cable networking
    >
    > 9th link down "Windows 95/98/Me To Windows XP"
    > Click view as HTML
    >

    > It's actually quite good, as I feel you may not be "manually" assigning
    > IP addresses correctly and all that blah......Crossover connections are
    > a pain. I believe you stated you have DSL/High Speed Cable?
    > Why not invest a few bucks & buy your self a router.....Both machines
    > will have internet, and it will configure the network for you
    > automatically as far as addresses.........I first started with
    > crossover, than ran out & bought a router. There is no need for a hub as
    > the routers(most)function dually.

    My next question would be is, is your cable really a "crossover?"
    Hmmmmm?

    > I have purchased crossover cables that were not configured properly. Have
    > you tried another crossover cable?
    Yeah, I considered the cable might be at fault, especially since the legend
    on the sheath says Patch rather than crossover so I found a few schematics
    on the Net which show which wires should be crossed and the cable checks out
    (unless it has a break somewhere)
    > When you set up your primary computer for a home netowrk, did you make a
    > disk to use on the ME computer? If not, try that. The disk will assist in
    > getting the ME computer ready for networking with XP.
    Yes, I've done that numerous times in both directions using both a floppy
    disk and the WinXP CD
    > Check your CONTROL PANEL, SYSTEM, HARDWARE, DEVICE MANAGER, NETWORK
    > ADAPTERS
    > on each computer and see if any errors are reported.
    Done that. The XP Machines' NIC is built into the Motherboard and it seems
    to work as it constantly gives a message (VIA the icon in the Notification
    area) such as 'Local Area connection is now connected. Speed 1OO.0MBPS'. I
    also checked that I have the latest drivers for both adaptors. I tried two
    NICS in the ME machine, both of which prevoiusly worked in other PCs and I
    also have the latest drivers for those.

    In the last couple of days I've found and read loads of stuff on Networking
    and have learned a great deal. The one at
    http://www.cellarstoneindia.com/cable_pdf/LanCrossOverCableConnection%20(95-98-MeToXP).pdf
    looks excellent. I'll check it out tomorrow as it's now 2:30 am here.
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
    Maybe it'll be simpler if I get me a router. The main reason I took the
    crossover option was due to reading how supposedly simple and cheap it was
    for just two machines. Ah well, you live and learn!
    Thanks again

    Ben

    "williame" <williame@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >>
    >> IP Address Tab: Specify an IP Address (selected)
    >>
    >> IP Address: 192.168.0.2
    >>
    >> Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    >>
    >> WINS Config Tab: Disable WINS Resolution
    >>
    >> Gateway Tab: All Blank
    >>
    >> DNS Config Tab: Disable DNS
    >>
    >> NetBIOS Tab: All greyed out but 'I want to enable NetBIOS over
    >> TCP/IP protocol' is selected
    >>
    >> Advanced Tab: Allow binding to ATM. Yes is selected
    >>
    >> Bindings Tab: Client for Microsoft Networks (ticked)
    >>
    >> File and Printer sharing for MS
    >> Networks
    >> (ticked)
    >>
    >> MS Family Logon (ticked)
    >>

    >> File and Printer sharing for MS Networks
    >>
    >> Properties for this are:
    >>
    >> Browse Master: Automatic
    >>
    >> LM Announce: No
    >>

    >> Full Computer Name: MACHINE2
    >>
    >> Workgroup: MACHINES
    >>

    >> Various drives/folders are set as Shared

    Well, as I said, I have checked out each ends' color coding and it's
    cross-wired as it should be as compared to a standard Patch I have here
    which isn't. So although it's puzzling I suppose that there's little else I
    can do but get another cable or a router.
    Thankyou for all your help
    <bbently@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > you have answered your own question. you state that your cable sheath
    > says 'patch'. this is not a crossover. get a true crossover cable or
    > get a hub or router/switch and use your patch cables. hate to say it
    > but you need to read into what you are doing.

    i solved my problem by going to http://www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm
    yours Martin

    > Well, as I said, I have checked out each ends' color coding and it's
    > cross-wired as it should be as compared to a standard Patch I have here
    > which isn't. So although it's puzzling I suppose that there's little else I
    > can do but get another cable or a router.
    > Thankyou for all your help
    > <bbently@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > you have answered your own question. you state that your cable sheath
    > > says 'patch'. this is not a crossover. get a true crossover cable or
    > > get a hub or router/switch and use your patch cables. hate to say it
    > > but you need to read into what you are doing.

Windows XP