Sign in with
Your question

For the Mac Users out there

Last response: in CPUs
November 21, 2006 6:43:10 PM

More about : mac users

November 21, 2006 6:45:17 PM

Yeah, but it's pointless because there are no games on Mac's...

Edit: well, that was his benchy... I assume editing wise it would still help, but no one buy's a MAC to OC...
November 21, 2006 6:48:20 PM

i have a g4 that im using as a printer stand right now. im going to put a new cpu (currently at 450mhz) in soon though, sadly its a sawtooth g4, not a yikes.
Related resources
November 21, 2006 6:50:18 PM

I'm thinking with success of the Cell processor in the console sector, (or could it be that these companies are shoving the PowerPC down our throats) there would possibly be a few people that would want to try their hand at OCing their console.
November 21, 2006 6:53:27 PM

Macs are incredibly overrated. I had a mac and all I did with it was play MAME games. If wanted do something useful I'd fire up the Pentium(back when Pentiums were good).
November 21, 2006 7:09:50 PM

Quote:
Macs are incredibly overrated. I had a mac and all I did with it was play MAME games. If wanted do something useful I'd fire up the Pentium(back when Pentiums were good).

So because you did not know how to use it optimally , it means its overated?
November 21, 2006 7:33:55 PM

Quote:

So because you did not know how to use it optimally , it means its overated?

:lol: 
November 21, 2006 7:40:02 PM

That trick works on B&W G3's too, if anyone wanted to know.

Please, if I hear one more person call Macs 'overrated' I'm gonna kick them. It's the stupidest thing to say. Ever.
November 21, 2006 7:47:43 PM

Hmmmm... I wouldn't say Mac's are overrated, I would have to say the people who buy them usually don't buy them for the tech inside them, but for other reasons...

Either way, I'm an avid anti-Mac person for many reasons, but the biggest is that usually people who buy and use Mac's are douchebags who know nothing about computers but still talk smack of Windows and PC's...
November 21, 2006 7:51:05 PM

Quote:
Hmmmm... I wouldn't say Mac's are overrated, I would have to say the people who buy them usually don't buy them for the tech inside them, but for other reasons...

Either way, I'm an avid anti-Mac person for many reasons, but the biggest is that usually people who buy and use Mac's are douchebags who know nothing about computers but still talk smack of Windows and PC's...

I still don't get this. In the UK everyone that uses a Mac is either involved in film, music or design. There are very few Mac 'fashion' types.

In fact, when I get out my PowerBook the first thing people comment on (rather than 'OMFG that's really trendy I must have one now') is how good it is that it's instantly on when I open the lid.

Perhaps it's just the UK, but this whole "Mac user = fashion-slave idiot or evangelist retard" thing I just don't get.
November 21, 2006 7:54:02 PM

Come to the U.S., you'll quickly see...

Then again, American's are douchebags about a lot of things, so shrug... you're better off staying there (well, everything there is overpriced as hell, and ya'll got no land... meh)
November 21, 2006 8:44:34 PM

Quote:
Come to the U.S., you'll quickly see...

Then again, American's are douchebags about a lot of things, so shrug... you're better off staying there (well, everything there is overpriced as hell, and ya'll got no land... meh)

Or come to Canada where people get Macs for music, video editing, or graphic design. We also don't have as much gangsta bling bling. :) 

We're still overpriced as hell here though, but we kill the yanks in land, LoL.

FYI - my next comp is still Intel.
November 21, 2006 9:09:50 PM

Eh, how much of your land is actually inhabitable.

Anyways, I just wanted to see if it could be done especially after having consoles with the Cell, and with a bit of Google Fu, I found what I was looking for.
November 21, 2006 9:18:25 PM

Well hows about this, Ninja. I haven't used my B&W in a while (that is to say my B&W G3, rather than the speakers :wink: ) so I don't mind doing an overclocking experiment with it when next I have a few free hours.

I'll post the results in this thread.
November 21, 2006 9:20:20 PM

Sweet. I have to go to a IT department meeting anyways so I'll be back at around 9:00PM EST.
November 21, 2006 9:31:52 PM

Well I have no idea what EST and crap means, but I'll post up my findings as-and-when.

Unfortunately progs like Temperox don't work on anything except PowerBooks and the like, so I'll just have to 'feel' the temps. Any ideas on the nm of the process on those old G3 CPUs?
November 21, 2006 9:42:44 PM

So somewhere around 180um?

Okay, well I'm going to do some thinking out loud now then and people can perhaps help me.

If it's a 180/200um CPU running at 350mhz with a 100mhz FSB, what do you think would be a good first step up? 50mhz increments or just go from 350 > 450?

Surely a change this small wouldn't need a VCore change? (I've never overclocked on such ancient hardware!)
November 21, 2006 9:58:25 PM

Macs are over rated.

Because lets face the facts you buy a computer to run software... look in the computer store for your selection of Mac software. Sorry didn't mean to make you cry. [ go dust your mac.] :twisted:

Just because you only buy software once every 10 yrs doesn't mean everyone else will.

You notice Wintel /Wamd blindly let poor little Apple run amok with their advertising campaign that completely bashes windows repeatedly.

Why doesn't M$FT do anything?

Answer: Mac is looking for some stupid idiot to buy their stuff. M$FT knows the majority of us [95%] buy a computer to run software. When Apple can figure this out they might have something.

Til then M$FT / couldn't give a rats ass what they do.
November 21, 2006 10:05:39 PM

Quote:
Mac is looking for some stupid idiot to buy their stuff. M$FT knows the majority of us [95%] buy a computer to run software. When Apple can figure this out they might have something.

I'm really sorry but you're being increadibly ignorant.

For pro-level software in the creative industries Apple software is king. And just because they don't have lots of games available you think that the software catalog is limited?

Looking for some stupid idiot to buy their stuff? Well you've just launched a personal attack on me by default then.

Well I guess for every Mac evangelist you have in the states there is likely a small-minded individual such as 'pipseeker' to cancel them out.
November 21, 2006 10:10:05 PM

face the facts: Apple only garners 5% of the PC market... and this is on a good day.

They are much more busy selling ipods.
November 21, 2006 10:35:25 PM

I´m a little tired of mac vs pc shit.
Everytime the words "apple" or "mac" appear, a war starts. Please mr. ionlygameinmypcalldaylong... Were all tired of that crap.

This thread is about mac OCs; not to pick a winner computer.
November 22, 2006 12:48:04 AM

Quote:
face the facts: Apple only garners 5% of the PC market... and this is on a good day.

They are much more busy selling ipods.

As much as I loath the American Mac community, if you've got nothing productive to say, move along. I despise trolls of all kinds, and you're not doing a good job of it either. Theres not going to be any flame war here.
November 23, 2006 2:12:18 AM

ok then here is another fact...

this is a PC enthusiast board... if you don't like to be crushed by 95% of the market go to your little i~mac island.

Steve Jobs does nothing but sell lies. Claims he has the fastest computer in the world only to switch to intel processors not even a year later after that comment. [ He is a PC wanna be, but can't admit it... Maximum PC even wrote an article [July issue] where they benched the pathetic tiger os X or what ever the animal is called against Windows XP. Guess who biotch slapped who into next week?

Their current far fetched ad campaign is most likely what sparked my tirade. Maybe in my own little mind I would like M$FT to step up and squash this "little" bug.

If you want to call me a troll... waa you like to cry like the ball baby you are. You can't handle the truth so it's really easy to cry and whine troll.

You can search my posts and know for fact I'm no troll, but if you want to cry about it go ahead... I won't lose no sleep over it.

Go play with your ipod, piece of crap imac and leave us real PC people alone. Mac is for the stupid crowd who can't piece anything together for themselves and like to overpay for stuff.
November 23, 2006 2:22:03 AM

Quote:

I'm really sorry but you're being increadibly ignorant.

For pro-level software in the creative industries Apple software is king. And just because they don't have lots of games available you think that the software catalog is limited?

Looking for some stupid idiot to buy their stuff? Well you've just launched a personal attack on me by default then.

Well I guess for every Mac evangelist you have in the states there is likely a small-minded individual such as 'pipseeker' to cancel them out.

Fact Adobe Premiere Pro no longer supports Mac OS.

Mac has no office software, but M$FT writes MS Office for their pathetic little machine.

PRO LEVEL? name one piece of software that is AFFORDABLE by the general population?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 23, 2006 2:40:49 AM

Don't bag out apple, they've got super portable desktops :roll: Havent you seen how portable their old emacs were? But back on topic, overclocking a mac............. why? Buy a new one like apple wants you to do when it becomes too slow to run anything, which is way too often. Personally, I would rather rip out my cpu and drop in a new one and suddenly have a heaps faster pc for 1/6 of the price of buying a new mac. And I'm not stuck with a radeon 7500 "mac edition".
November 23, 2006 3:21:31 AM

Now ya know, I don't usually say stuff like this.. but.

I'm a gamer. I also just put this mean rig together a little over a month ago.

In Jan. i'm going to buy a MacBook Pro because I want a good solid laptop. Are you going to cry and call me names?

I want something different. I've played with the macs at CompUSA and I find it a nice change of pace to Windows.

Quote:
Mac is for the stupid crowd who can't piece anything together for themselves and like to overpay for stuff.

K!

Sure i'll overpay, hell the machine is as high a quality as a Sony.. which are notoriously expensive (I should know, I own a 3 year old Vaio).

I game on a mean machine and I want something portable, 'trendy!', and not lacking in firepower. It just me, I don't think like normal people.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
November 23, 2006 3:26:19 AM

Laptops that are not designed for gaming is where apple excel. When it comes to laptops, who cares if you run windows or mac osx? Most people who game hard dont buy laptops for that purpose, and those who buy laptops only generally dont game hard, so any OS will do. Mac laptops are good, their desktops eat the dirt under the soles of my PC. And dont ever call a mac a PC, coz as far as I'm concerned, a mac desktop isnt even a computer - its a mac - period.
November 23, 2006 6:57:13 AM

Quote:
PRO LEVEL? name one piece of software that is AFFORDABLE by the general population?

How retarded do you get? 'Pro Level' software isn't cheap on any platform. 'Pro Level' is PROFESSIONAL software, I.E. software you use for your job in order to make money. Exactly the same as a guitarist buying a guitar and a plumber buying a set of tools, musicians buy Logic Pro, ProTools and a whole host of plugins, film makers buy Final Cut etc...

I'm not going to claim to know every piece of pro software for the Macintosh in depth (which is why I mention only the ones that I personally use) but there are TONS of creative profesionals who I know who are either in photography or design or film and guess what computer they all use.

Quote:
Mac has no office software, but M$FT writes MS Office for their pathetic little machine.

As for your bullshit about there being no Office software... 'we' (I use that tentatively) have Microsoft Office just the same as you do, as well as Apple's own (less well known) Pages and Keynote software. I'm pretty sure they do/did Lotus as well.

Quote:

I'm pretty sure Adobe are currently in the process of porting all their PPC software to x86 for Mac, and you can still run it in emulated (I know, not as fast, but you can still run it) on Intel hardware.

Quote:
Steve Jobs does nothing but sell lies. Claims he has the fastest computer in the world only to switch to intel processors not even a year later after that comment. [ He is a PC wanna be, but can't admit it... Maximum PC even wrote an article [July issue] where they benched the pathetic tiger os X or what ever the animal is called against Windows XP. Guess who biotch slapped who into next week?

Okay, now a lot of idiots such as yourself attack Steve Jobs. I personally can take him or leave him, but when you spew crap like that I have to jump to his defence.

His job is to SELL COMPUTERS. So if he hypes on the G5, then switches a couple of years later to Intel hardware I'm not bothered. They stuck with PowerPC for over a decade, so he's hardly flip-flopping.

As well as 'PC wannabe' - I've haven't heard a more stupid thing said in a long time. You're sourcing an article in a magazine called MAXIMUM PC - you really think they're going to do a feature on how much better OS X is than WXP?
Quote:

Their current far fetched ad campaign is most likely what sparked my tirade. Maybe in my own little mind I would like M$FT to step up and squash this "little" bug.

I hate the ad campaign. However it is indisputably an international success, and has got a LOT of people talking about Macintosh computers. So it's done it's job.

As for MS 'squash[ing] this little bug" - does the word Zune mean anything to you? Microsoft will never make their own computer, so they'll never be in direct competition with Apple there (they're a very, VERY different company, if you'd care to notice). However the MP3 player segment of the market they're quite welcome to enter. Time will tell whether they succeed, or iPod retains it's crown, but this is one of the first times that MS and Apple are going for the exact same market. So we'll see if one of them gets 'squashed like a bug'.

Quote:
Go play with your ipod, piece of crap imac and leave us real PC people alone. Mac is for the stupid crowd who can't piece anything together for themselves and like to overpay for stuff

Oh dear. Oh dear. oh dear.

Judging by your argumentative and grammatical capabilities I'd guess that I've been building PCs for longer than you've been on the planet. I don't own an iPod or an iMac, and I payed a very reasonable price for all of my Apple hardware.

And if anyone mentions 'gaming' as a reason Macs are 'st00pid' one more time, then could they please accompany it with a detailed list of all the recording studios and musicians in the world that use PCs and all of the recording studios and musicians in the world who use Macs. Thanks.
November 23, 2006 7:01:17 AM

amen, drop the hammer!
November 23, 2006 7:58:33 AM

Quote:

I still don't get this. In the UK everyone that uses a Mac is either involved in film, music or design. There are very few Mac 'fashion' types.

Because they use to be good at that. and graphic design.
November 23, 2006 10:07:25 AM

well, you said it all. sometimes I wish I had an English vocabulary like you guys to make myself clear. :( 
November 23, 2006 11:32:31 AM

Quote:

Because they use to be good at that. and graphic design.

Well thats a past time generalization tbh! It's one i still use though, because everyone that owns a MAC always says that. I think it must be to make them feel like the industry is on their side.
I really can't see how they can be better, especially nowadays.
Infact, they are not.

Don't do image design, but photoshop is most likely still king of image editing, and has always been available on pc.
I think i'd much rather have a Kentsfield and the ability to buy extra ram (and faster than what mac's have) without being extorted for the prices apple charge.

I use cubase/reason: my 1700XP Tbred was faster than G5's, under half the price too. Also a lot of plugins are available for windows only. If you use a mac you're limiting your options.

Only thing i've heard that MAC's can do better than PC is run Final Cut Pro, oh and Logic Audio, both are available for mac only tho :roll: . Logic is just an alternative to cubase, it doesnt matter what you use anyway. It's how you use it.

btw: aren't the mac books made by Foxconn?
Sony vs Foxconn? hmmm i know where i'd put my money if they were the same price.
I have nothing against Foxconn though they produce a lot of components for the PC market, and are a huge hit with OEM's, but the reason for that is they are cheap!
Macbooks are NOT cheap!
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=2125

And people say microsoft are a rip off :roll:
November 23, 2006 11:34:19 AM

Quote:

How retarded do you get? 'Pro Level' software isn't cheap on any platform. 'Pro Level' is PROFESSIONAL software, I.E. software you use for your job in order to make money. Exactly the same as a guitarist buying a guitar and a plumber buying a set of tools, musicians buy Logic Pro, ProTools and a whole host of plugins, film makers buy Final Cut etc...

I'm not going to claim to know every piece of pro software for the Macintosh in depth (which is why I mention only the ones that I personally use) but there are TONS of creative profesionals who I know who are either in photography or design or film and guess what computer they all use.

Ok so you're only going the mention the ones you use? and so I guess Final Cut is all you use? Is there any direct competition to Final Cut?

I can name multiple programs that compete with Adobe Premier pro on the PC side...

Pinnacle Liquid Motion --- PC ONLY!
Canopus Edius --- PC ONLY!
Sony Vegas --- PC ONLY!
Ulead Media Studio Pro --- PC ONLY!

and numerous lower end amateur .

You claim MAC has all this software when in fact they don't. As which is very obvious because you could only name one piece of it. LOL!

Quote:

I'm pretty sure Adobe are currently in the process of porting all their PPC software to x86 for Mac, and you can still run it in emulated (I know, not as fast, but you can still run it) on Intel hardware.

UH no their not... It was just recently [within the last 2 years] they stopped supporting MAC, most likely because of Final Cut.

So it's more about having choice on the PC and not being constricted to one piece of software. REMEMBER the REASON to have a COMPUTER is TO RUN SOFTWARE! But yet you don't get that for some odd reason?

I am not talking about games here, but obviously if I wanted to play ANY and I MEAN ANY GAME I could on a PC without try to reverse engineer something and use an Emulator. That's like buying a car that gets good gas mileage and putting small tires on it.

Quote:

Okay, now a lot of idiots such as yourself attack Steve Jobs. I personally can take him or leave him, but when you spew crap like that I have to jump to his defence.

His job is to SELL COMPUTERS. So if he hypes on the G5, then switches a couple of years later to Intel hardware I'm not bothered. They stuck with PowerPC for over a decade, so he's hardly flip-flopping.

Well I sell Air Conditioners without lying. There is HYPE and there is LIES. He is a bold face lying fool. If you want to defend that then you're a liar too. I never said he was flip-flopping I said he was LYING. So work on your reading skills some. LOL!

Quote:

As well as 'PC wannabe' - I've haven't heard a more stupid thing said in a long time. You're sourcing an article in a magazine called MAXIMUM PC - you really think they're going to do a feature on how much better OS X is than WXP?

Mac asked for that when they started using Intel chips and for your information Maximum PC didn't expect there to be that much difference. You can tell when something is slanted. Go to the library and read the article so that your eyes are opened.

Quote:

As for MS 'squash[ing] this little bug" - does the word Zune mean anything to you? Microsoft will never make their own computer, so they'll never be in direct competition with Apple there (they're a very, VERY different company, if you'd care to notice). However the MP3 player segment of the market they're quite welcome to enter. Time will tell whether they succeed, or iPod retains it's crown, but this is one of the first times that MS and Apple are going for the exact same market. So we'll see if one of them gets 'squashed like a bug'.

Huh? one of the first times MS and apple going for the same exact market? Windows ---- OS X? Oh M$FT already owns that market so it doesn't count right? Looks like you need some work on your grammatical abilities... like thinking before we spout off.

Quote:

Go play with your ipod, piece of crap imac and leave us real PC people alone. Mac is for the stupid crowd who can't piece anything together for themselves and like to overpay for stuff

Oh dear. Oh dear. oh dear.

Judging by your argumentative and grammatical capabilities I'd guess that I've been building PCs for longer than you've been on the planet. I don't own an iPod or an iMac, and I payed a very reasonable price for all of my Apple hardware.

now you're really talking your age... who cares how old you are. Age of you or anyone else here is not the subject. I have built many PC's so big deal. I am sure that most of the population that frequent this board has done that... so you're nothing special so get over yourself.

Quote:

And if anyone mentions 'gaming' as a reason Macs are 'st00pid' one more time, then could they please accompany it with a detailed list of all the recording studios and musicians in the world that use PCs and all of the recording studios and musicians in the world who use Macs. Thanks.

As I said before and I'll say it again, a computer is for RUNNING SOFTWARE. It's a matter of having choices and not only being tied to one. If I want to be able to play a game I should have that ability. That is what computers were made for or is that too hard for you to understand?
November 23, 2006 1:37:56 PM

You'll find no bigger proponent of PC's than me, check the blog if you even get the slightest inclination to call me a Mac fanboy, so as a fellow PC user I feel the need to shut you up. Bitch and cry and moan all you want, Apple is here to stay.

The fact is that any productivity software that you can purchase for a PC you can do the same for a Mac. How can I say this with any clarity and not receive the reputation as a FUD packer? I'm looking at a 200 page catalog of Mac software that I received yesterday. And for every software that PC's have, there is an equal or greater tool for a Mac.

Is there any thing that compares to the innovation and ease of use on a PC for music production as GarageBand or Logic Pro? Surely you can't say Fruity Loops. You'd be laughed out of the industry.

The iPod remains to be killed. Its trendy, can be modded with a bit of know how, and can be worked around the DRM that both Apple and Microsoft seem to have an affinity to. Surely you didn't think that the Zune would be copy protection free did you?

I have a Mac Pro with Dual Xeons. Thats right, I got the one with the Intel processors. Yes Apple switched from the PPC architecture to the more widespread x86 instruction set. "Flip flop" you say? I can say the same thing about Intel and there incessant backing of the ill fated and badly implemented Netburst. Can you say Pentium D? Wait, hasn't Intel moved on to a new architecture? Oh the madness!

But thats all besides the point. This thread is a departure from the usual "OC a Core 2" or a "4x4 vs QX6700" or "OC a A64" threads. Its something that everyone can read for just the pure technical fun of it. If you can't understand that and are hell bent in your crusade against Mac's, I'd seriously advise you to seek treatment urgently.

Seriously man, its just a machine.
Ninja
November 23, 2006 1:39:41 PM

Heres some Google Fu for you.
Enjoy:
Software for Macs
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2006-30,GGGL:en&q=mac+software
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2006-30,GGGL:en&q=mac+software+catalog

Oh by the way, with the introduction of the x86 instruction set, games for Mac's will be more wide spread.

But if you buy a Mac, mostly likely you wouldn't be gaming, just like if you buy a server you're not going to be watching movies and editing pictures on it. Everything has there use, and if you want to game, get a PC. So stop complaining already.
November 23, 2006 2:05:59 PM

Quote:

In fact, when I get out my PowerBook the first thing people comment on (rather than 'OMFG that's really trendy I must have one now') is how good it is that it's instantly on when I open the lid.

Perhaps it's just the UK, but this whole "Mac user = fashion-slave idiot or evangelist retard" thing I just don't get.

Macs have a small but not completely insignificant section of the market in the US thanks to those fashion people. Elsewhere in the world the Mac has a MUCH lower market share. Its significantly less than 2% in the UK iirc

Macs are often used in publishing and similar, but PCs are still far more versatile.
November 23, 2006 2:33:54 PM

Least we can say the Macs are getting better and become alittle bit more mainstream with bootcamp and such. Alot of my tech geek friends are talking about getting iMacs and the like just to have something that runs.

After I spent 2 hours last night removing a slew of viruses from my friends computer... you start to wonder. (Some exec file that dropped like eight Trojans.. blah)... the whole 'macs don't get viruses' is a lie, but its not as commonplace as 20 mins after a windows install...

I was surprised when the mac mini came out, what, 2-3 years ago? Maybe longer, but the switch to Intel has pretty much sold me.
November 23, 2006 2:43:45 PM

Quote:
the whole 'macs don't get viruses' is a lie,

But, they dont, there is like one trojan for macs, and a security update solved that. Mac's arent impervious to virus's, there just arent any out there for them to get.

Quote:

I was surprised when the mac mini came out, what, 2-3 years ago?

January 22 of last year.
November 23, 2006 3:14:11 PM

Quote:
the whole 'macs don't get viruses' is a lie,

But, they dont, there is like one trojan for macs, and a security update solved that. Mac's arent impervious to virus's, there just arent any out there for them to get.

that's because there are virtually no users. You think a virus writer would waste their time writing a virus for a mere 5% of the world?

The whole idea of writing a virus is to cause destruction on a massive scale.

Macs are making no comeback the highest market share they ever got [not counting ipod] was 7% and that was back during the imac era. 5% market share is being very generous.
November 23, 2006 3:16:24 PM

they did fall alot im market share since 1984, from about 90% of the market, to about 5% now.
November 23, 2006 3:26:16 PM

Quote:
Well I have no idea what EST and crap means, but I'll post up my findings as-and-when.

Eastern Standard Time... it means 5 hours ahead of GMT. Probably means he lives on the east coast of the U.S.
November 23, 2006 3:30:55 PM

Quote:
The fact is that any productivity software that you can purchase for a PC you can do the same for a Mac. How can I say this with any clarity and not receive the reputation as a FUD packer? I'm looking at a 200 page catalog of Mac software that I received yesterday. And for every software that PC's have, there is an equal or greater tool for a Mac.

The fact is there are more selections on the PC side and thus the software costs less because of this fact. Example how many video editing apps are there for the Mac? And you say and equal or greater tool not tool as in plural so even you admit this fact.

Quote:

Is there any thing that compares to the innovation and ease of use on a PC for music production as GarageBand or Logic Pro? Surely you can't say Fruity Loops. You'd be laughed out of the industry.

I am not a music professional so I wouldn't know, but I'm certain Windows platform has many more options than Mac that is the whole point to my rant. Still of which you ignore as pure honest fact.

Quote:

The iPod remains to be killed. Its trendy, can be modded with a bit of know how, and can be worked around the DRM that both Apple and Microsoft seem to have an affinity to. Surely you didn't think that the Zune would be copy protection free did you?

The only reason I brought up ipod was to show what Apple spends alot of their time on. They are being attacked from all corners, so market share will no longer be what it was, everyone and their brother has flooded the market with cute little music players. I listen to the radio so it really means nothing to me.

Quote:

I have a Mac Pro with Dual Xeons. Thats right, I got the one with the Intel processors. Yes Apple switched from the PPC architecture to the more widespread x86 instruction set. "Flip flop" you say? I can say the same thing about Intel and there incessant backing of the ill fated and badly implemented Netburst. Can you say Pentium D? Wait, hasn't Intel moved on to a new architecture? Oh the madness!

Crikey can't you read? I didn't say "flip flop" I said Steve Jobs LIED! and continually does so. Why is it people put words in your mouth around here... oh I know because they know they don't have a leg to stand on and acting stupid is politically correct.

Quote:

But thats all besides the point. This thread is a departure from the usual "OC a Core 2" or a "4x4 vs QX6700" or "OC a A64" threads. Its something that everyone can read for just the pure technical fun of it. If you can't understand that and are hell bent in your crusade against Mac's, I'd seriously advise you to seek treatment urgently.

no not a crusade a tirade, but I guess you just ass-u-me what people say instead of actually reading and understanding what is being said.

Quote:

Seriously man, its just a machine.
Ninja

ah yes, funny how you left out "that runs software."

pretty much like going and buying a VHS vcr these days.
November 23, 2006 3:39:25 PM

Until businesses start buying Macs in bulk Macs will remain a novelty... just an expensive prop in a sit-com. Yes, they look good... not even going to try to knock the OS they run... but the business world is still dominated by Windows (and to a lesser degree Linux) Outside of very select niche markets, Macs just don't have any penetration into business markets. I work at a 700 employee healthcare organization... not one Mac... not one. I'm not arguing which is better... that'd be pointless since Macs have the same hardware as PCs now (essentially) Just don't think they'll go mainstream any time soon.
November 23, 2006 3:40:47 PM

Excuse me, pardon me, I'm sorry but aren't you the ass that came on to a Mac OC thread and complained about software? Any rebuttals you make are quite lacking. My point is go bitch about it else where. Last time I checked this was a CPU forum, not a PC forum.

With regards to the numerous Windows options for music production... they suck. More choices doesn't always equate to better choices.
November 23, 2006 3:43:12 PM

Okay, dude, I don't really know why I'm bothering with this anymore, you're not going to 'get it'. Perhaps I'm doing it because you attacked me personally in one of your posts today. Hmmm.

Quote:
Ok so you're only going the mention the ones you use? and so I guess Final Cut is all you use? Is there any direct competition to Final Cut?

Actually I'm a musician. And I use Logic. I do have Final Cut, but the Expres version because I'm not in the business of making money from video creation, so the extra features of Pro don't warrent the price.

Quote:
So it's more about having choice on the PC and not being constricted to one piece of software. REMEMBER the REASON to have a COMPUTER is TO RUN SOFTWARE! But yet you don't get that for some odd reason?

You're right. In fact I don't use my Macintosh computers every day. I just look at them, because I haven't figured out yet that they're actually designed to run software. OMFG, you have opened my eyes, I am eternally grateful.

Ninja's already answered this one though - perhaps before you go out spurting 'you can't get software for Mac!' you should check.
Quote:

I am not talking about games here, but obviously if I wanted to play ANY and I MEAN ANY GAME I could on a PC without try to reverse engineer something and use an Emulator. That's like buying a car that gets good gas mileage and putting small tires on it.

You know I do often find myself reverse engineering games just so I can play them on my PPC hardware. Again, Ninja has beaten me to it by pointing out that there will be more games for the Macintosh forthcoming (although I think the PC in my sig will explain to you how much I care about gaming :wink: )

Quote:
Well I sell Air Conditioners without lying. There is HYPE and there is LIES. He is a bold face lying fool. If you want to defend that then you're a liar too. I never said he was flip-flopping I said he was LYING. So work on your reading skills some. LOL!

Well at the time it was the fastest PowerPC desktop computer in the world. And the first 64-bit desktop computer.

I'm not so bothered about that, though. He's a businessman (and a damn good one)...what do you honestly expect. I'm just saying he's doing his job, and very well.

Quote:

Mac asked for that when they started using Intel chips and for your information Maximum PC didn't expect there to be that much difference. You can tell when something is slanted. Go to the library and read the article so that your eyes are opened.

Again...'Maximum PC' magazine, and you don't expect a bias? Their readers want to read that article and be reassured about how much better their PCs are than 'them stupid Mac types'. And look how it worked!

Quote:
Huh? one of the first times MS and apple going for the same exact market? Windows ---- OS X? Oh M$FT already owns that market so it doesn't count right? Looks like you need some work on your grammatical abilities... like thinking before we spout off.

Windows and OS X don't go for the same market. At all. OS X is made for a totally different and, lest we forget, 'insignificant' chapter of the computer market, whereas Windows is for real tough guys like yourself, not namby-pamby types.

And again, I have to thank you for enlightening me once more - I wasn't aware that 'thinking before we spout off' fell under the category of 'grammatical abilities'. I must have fallen asleep in that lesson. Thanks again.

Quote:
now you're really talking your age... who cares how old you are. Age of you or anyone else here is not the subject. I have built many PC's so big deal. I am sure that most of the population that frequent this board has done that... so you're nothing special so get over yourself.

Yeah, I'm really not talking age here or indeed experience, I'm just saying that your argument holds up like the reason a 3 year old 'needs' more Pokemon cards (or whatever shit they're buying these days).

However you did say that Macs are for people who 'don't know how to put stuff together' (OWTTE), and seeing as I use a Mac (and so does Ninja) I thought it neccessary to point out that in fact 'we' do infact know how to build stuff. I though also I should point out that you were full of shit. Which you're doing an admirable job of yourself.
November 23, 2006 3:45:16 PM

Quote:
I am not a music professional so I wouldn't know, but I'm certain Windows platform has many more options than Mac that is the whole point to my rant. Still of which you ignore as pure honest fact.

Yeah, well I am, and you're wrong.
November 23, 2006 3:57:47 PM

Its like trying to push a pull door, only you'd get slightly better results form doing so.
November 23, 2006 4:00:19 PM

Quote:

Yes its called Cubase, it's been there since the start :>
And there is ableton, buzz, reason and loads more.
Logic is not all that great, and serious studios will use pro-tools anyway, which is seperate hardware.

Don't laugh at fruity loops either. You'd be surprised what it can do...Bad Craftsmen and Tools ;) 
November 23, 2006 4:05:17 PM

Quote:
Yes its called Cubase, it's been there since the start :>
And there is ableton, buzz, reason and loads more.
Logic is not all that great, and serious studios will use pro-tools anyway, which is seperate hardware.

Don't laugh at fruity loops either. You'd be surprised what it can do...Bad Craftsmen and Tools Wink

Logic and ProTools are the most versatile packages available, the others are good, but limited in many areas.

For project-studios, Logic is king. For big studios, ProTools (with it's awesomly powerful - and expensive - interface cards) is a worldwide standard.

FruityLoops really is that bad, though.
!